PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC Arrive/7 Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SERO Premium

chong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Tethering on the Arrive?

No, there are 2 things that I see that is different from TP2. They are captive screen and faster processor. My TP2 takes 7 sec to open up the camera. Almost 5+ sec to do anything. And the screen is non-responsive. Thats the difference!
Old 04-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
No, there are 2 things that I see that is different from TP2. They are captive screen and faster processor. My TP2 takes 7 sec to open up the camera. Almost 5+ sec to do anything. And the screen is non-responsive. Thats the difference!
no there is more lets see....

1) capable of Ev Rev.B once sprint rolls it out (latest Qualcomm chips from the 7800 Series and up support it)

2) More Ram without over half of it being used up by the time I even get to do anything.

3) better graphics card and proper drivers to support it/ hardware acceleration

4)better camera that's easier to access and has flash and HD recording capability.

5) an overall better phone.

and my tp2 didn't really take 5+ seconds to do anything now that I think about it. u must be using the stock 6.5 rom
Old 04-22-2011, 10:32 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2, Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gjhuff is just getting started
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

It's MOTO that the Arrive is much superior on the hardware side. What's a great shame is that this improved hardware is saddled with a restricted OS that prevents customization, tethering and other features that made the Touch Pro 2 great for business use. The Arrive is a consumer phone, not for computer aficionados. The phone is not "smart" anymore unless you want to link it with your Xbox or listen to music purchased on Zune.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Banned User

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhuff View Post
It's MOTO that the Arrive is much superior on the hardware side. What's a great shame is that this improved hardware is saddled with a restricted OS that prevents customization, tethering and other features that made the Touch Pro 2 great for business use. The Arrive is a consumer phone, not for computer aficionados. The phone is not "smart" anymore unless you want to link it with your Xbox or listen to music purchased on Zune.
ok did making this post help u sleep at night or something? uve pretty much spammed every thread here with this same nonsense ,u already made ur point. if u have nothing more productive to say y don't u just back off?

not to sound rude or anything but seriously its getting old. so cut it out, vale?

Last edited by eric12341; 04-22-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:24 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
ok did making this post help u sleep at night or something? uve pretty much spammed every thread here with this same nonsense ,u already made ur point. if u have nothing more productive to say y don't u just back off vale?
truth hurt? if its not true who cares. he is still on topic and your post is more spam than his.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:06 AM
Banned User

I made an edit to it. it would've been posted on time if my Ev wasn't in turtle mode.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:30 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SERO Premium

chong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Yes, I am using the stock 6.5 rom on my TP2. Is that why its so slow? OK, TP2 is old already. I want waiting for 3D to come out.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive

InsomniacJedi is keeping up the good workInsomniacJedi is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhuff View Post
I'd have to disagree with you implying that the Arrive is not a smart phone/business class device.

First off, it will sync with your outlook e-mail servers which many businesses use. It can also sync with just about any other e-mail client that a business might us.

Second, it has a full keyboard on it which is a hallmark of such "smart" and "business" devices.

Third, the calendar app can sync with your e-mail clients which is another big business feature.

Fourth, it comes with a full internet browser which has always been a defining feature of smart phones.

Fifth, it runs Microsoft Office which allows the creation of both One Notes and Word Documents. If that isn't a business perk I don't know what is. You can argue that's a "consumer" feature, but as a college student I use it more for editing documents on the go which is a great business perk. On top of that, the Arrive can also view PowerPoint presentations, though I admittedly haven't checked to see if I can edit one.

Sixth, your argument that since it cannot tether it is not a "smart" phone is simply incorrect. Most businesses are going to have internet either at their building or in the hotel they're setting their employees up in.

Seventh, I'd argue that the fact that it CAN use the Zune software (which includes the Marketplace, etc.) as well as the XBOXLive integration certainly make it a smart phone.

Finally, to argue that the Arrive is not a smart phone is simply absurd and ignorant. It does all the things a modern smart phone can do, the only problem you have with it appears that you cannot use it as a modem (or wireless hotspot) yet and that you can't "customize" it to your liking, though from what I've seen people's definition of "customizing" is hard to nail down and ultimately just boils down to "OMG I CAN'T MAKE MAH FAVORITE SONG MAH RINGTONE" which would mean it is less of a consumer device...hmmm...

Last edited by InsomniacJedi; 04-23-2011 at 02:07 AM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:49 AM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsomniacJedi View Post
I'd have to disagree with you implying that the Arrive is not a smart phone/business class device.

First off, it will sync with your outlook e-mail servers which many businesses use. It can also sync with just about any other e-mail client that a business might us.

Second, it has a full keyboard on it which is a hallmark of such "smart" and "business" devices.

Third, the calendar app can sync with your e-mail clients which is another big business feature.

Fourth, it comes with a full internet browser which has always been a defining feature of smart phones.

Fifth, it runs Microsoft Office which allows the creation of both One Notes and Word Documents. If that isn't a business perk I don't know what is. You can argue that's a "consumer" feature, but as a college student I use it more for editing documents on the go which is a great business perk. On top of that, the Arrive can also view PowerPoint presentations, though I admittedly haven't checked to see if I can edit one.

Sixth, your argument that since it cannot tether it is not a "smart" phone is simply incorrect. Most businesses are going to have internet either at their building or in the hotel they're setting their employees up in.

Seventh, I'd argue that the fact that it CAN use the Zune software (which includes the Marketplace, etc.) as well as the XBOXLive integration certainly make it a smart phone.

Finally, to argue that the Arrive is not a smart phone is simply absurd and ignorant. It does all the things a modern smart phone can do, the only problem you have with it appears that you cannot use it as a modem (or wireless hotspot) yet and that you can't "customize" it to your liking, though from what I've seen people's definition of "customizing" is hard to nail down and ultimately just boils down to "OMG I CAN'T MAKE MAH FAVORITE SONG MAH RINGTONE" which would mean it is less of a consumer device...hmmm...
WOOOHOOOO RIGHT ON!! this has got to be one of the best posts I've seen.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:11 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2, Epic 4G

gjhuff is just getting started
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsomniacJedi View Post

You make some good points. I would concede that the Arrive is a "smart phone" in some respects and my language was hyperbole. The things you mention from 1 to 5, of course, are not advances from the TP2, just continuing features. But, in many respects, though, it is a "locked down" system similar to an Iphone. Items 6 and 7 detract from the phone, IMO.

Respectfully, if you're a college student, you might not appreciate tethering which has saved my rear in many a remote location. As a business user, I could care less about Zune and Xbox which just crap up the storage space or even customized ring tones for that matter. By customization, I mean things such as -

* installing software programs not just those sanctioned by Microsoft,
* non-data GPS programs,
* shell programs that fit my needs better than Microsoft's one-size fits all,
* drag and drop ability between PCs and the phone/

Other users have added to this list.

Finally, I will call you out on your comments about ignorance and absurdity. You don't know me or how much experience I have with smartphones. There are many users out there dissatisfied with Windows Phone 7 who are switching to Android or keeping their TP2.

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC Arrive/7 Pro