PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Phone 7 Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   What's the Difference between Over the Air and WiFi for Marketplace? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=147121)

JohnMcD348 09-20-2011 04:50 PM

What's the Difference between Over the Air and WiFi for Marketplace?

OK, this is just for m own knowledge, no big deal but it got me wondering.

Sometimes, when I am downloading and installing a program from Marketplace, it requires that I either be tethered or on WiFi, but other times it works fine using only the OTA from my cellular carrier. I was just wondering what makes one program able to be downloaded/installed one way or the other. Is it something the developer requires? More apt for Games versus Applications? Is there any reason for one over the other?

What got me to thinking about it was today, I had a couple of notifications at different times from Marketplace. The first one I updated with no problem, the other, required I be logged into a WiFi connection to download and update.

Just wondering.

CripledCyclone 09-20-2011 04:54 PM

Re: What's the Difference between Over the Air and WiFi for Marketplace?

Probably some stupid thing the Devs require you to do. Plants Vs Zombies on the market requires you be on a WiFi connection to download it.

Dr.8820 09-20-2011 05:10 PM

Big files are moved via WiFi, while others aren't...kinda silly to me for them to do this.

Sent from The Syndicate using my HTC HD7

JohnMcD348 09-20-2011 10:23 PM

Yeah, PvZ was what made me wonder about it today. My son was playing with the phone while we were in the truck today and he wanted to play it. Just so happened that was the one with the update. I hit the update and got the message. Just wondered why some would and some wouldn't.

Dr.8820 09-20-2011 10:27 PM

When I got mine in December, the 1st things I bought was Monopoly and Slingplayer...I was out of town and noone had a router, I was going to send it back and keep using my HD2 lol.

eric12341 09-20-2011 11:24 PM

its like this because some carriers have stupid data caps and its to protect from overages or throttling

Dr.8820 09-21-2011 12:27 AM

Wirelessly posted (WP7 Beta Tester: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0; HTC; HD7))

I kind of agree Eric, but Microsoft should've just had .cab files then :).

esqueue 09-21-2011 10:17 AM

I'm sure that this file size limit would easily be bypassed if custom roms become available.

It's quite annoying. I can download small clips from my subscribed podcasts but never the ones I really want.

JohnMcD348 09-21-2011 12:24 PM

Data caps makes since. I hadn't thought of that since I have sprints unlimited plan and, so far, that hasn't changed.....

eric12341 09-21-2011 04:26 PM

how does charging someone $120/month for service and then limiting how much one can use their phone make sense?