PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 11:20 AM
PPC Geek's writer
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy 4G
Carrier: tmobile

pixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to pixelpower
Re: Why Arent There Loads Of Free Apps Like Android & iPhone App Stores?

I know the last couple of years winmobile hasnt got the entertainment part of cell phone aspect right. The games are bad and new toys like shazamm have to be modifid to work for windows mobile. Be truthfull had i not start making some of my own freeware games and meeting other develpers i would have brought a droid. But some of the developers i met have some really good plans that if come to frution is going to blow away android and iphone. I state now that if i dont see these plans take affect by this summer when the take over is supposed to begin , i myself will be a droid buyer. In 2010 this is what is planned
1) Right now as we speak developers found a way to run win95 on touchpro2 .... They however are aiming at running windows xp which supposed to be around june or july. If they make it and i have faith they will....who the h"ll is going to beat that.
2) The full android rom should be finished by spring ....meaning we dont have to buy droid ....we going to be able to run droid games and apps.
3) Touchpro3 with windowsmobile7 or xp....sorry hate to say this but microsoft is not comming out with windows7 for touchpro2. They saving it to sell with new phone. Touchpro3 will have 1ghz speed 400mb ram the rest iam not sure of.
Like i said i gathered that from some other developers. If I dont see any of these things come to light , i be very upset and probaly do a switch. But i have faith in windows mobile , hope i dont get let down.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

steveholtam is keeping up the good worksteveholtam is keeping up the good work

Another major reason the apps go to iphone and android that I don't think anyone has mentioned is that the developers actually make money on their apps with those phones. What has been mentioned a dozen times in this thread is to use google to find the WinMo apps for free. Thats because people rip the cabs and freely share any keycodes or others ways to prove someone actually paid for the app.

Itunes is the only legit way people purchase apps for the iphone. Sure, if your iphone is jailbroke, you can hit the torrents and find the apps for free. This however is a small percentage of the total iphones on the market. The iphone crowd is happy to use itunes, and happy to use the easy interface of the itunes store to get the apps they want, and then gladly pay the few bucks for them.

Any smart developer would design for the paying crowd first. Why else bother making an app? WinMo makes it to easy to "share" apps, and I think that is the main reason nobody bothers trying to make high-end apps for us.

Last edited by steveholtam; 12-17-2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-16-2010, 12:42 AM
PPC Geek's writer

pixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIP

Yes plus iphone and android regulate how much developers charge. For example there is a windows mobile game called flight commander. The game has great graphics and sexy flight attendents. The problem is the game only has 2 levels. The developer is charging 14.95 for graphics and 2 levels. Of course people are going to hack for such overpriced nonsense to fight against greedy developers. There needs to be regulation to restore faith in consumers. Until then 99% of the games i make will just be freeware.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC INC.
Carrier: VERIZON <--?

spiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to spiritcrusher33

they go for the paying crowd. and install base... and right now iphone and android are the 2 kings for apps.. palm will get there. its just taken awhile..to get 1000 apps.. but now that they will be on verizon.. im sure things will pick up for palm...

wm is more of a do it yourself platform now... meaning the great people of ppcgeeks and xda are doing most of the work. to keep things interesting..
Old 01-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-mobile

rorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Same reason why Starbucks is so popular and their coffee blows.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:32 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO/no root

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre

I had a chance to play with an iphone and check app store. you either thumb thru the apps mindlessly looking, or you have to search for an app and guess keywords for what you want. if you google winmo app xxxx your doing the same thing with the whole world as your results. is it not the same concept, launch an app, search, and pick what you want? has that really skipped the minds. i understand people want simple and works, but as it was stated this platform is for more open minded and takes work. to bring a moto q back cause it is so complicated and not wanting to read the manual is retarded. i don't read manuals. i go thru the phone and figure it out myself. even when all i could get was a simple flip phone, no reading just figure it out, and search around for what i can do to it. iphone and droid are the next step beyond mindless flip phones where the user wants to change the pic on the screen and download a game and song. all they did was take awsome smartphone powere and put it in a crappy flip phone for the simple minded. my wife couldn't figure out her htc diamond after 6 months of use, and has issues working her rumor 2. we are a special breed of users that want a special breed device to match our wits.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:34 AM
PPC Geek's writer

I just started a blog i will be follows new games as they come out and review old good games. I dont have much time to review apps thats why i stick to games but in the future the best apps I will put.If you have any games you feel should be in my blog upload them at www.krenisiswinmobilegamesapps.com and i will review them at http://wvgafreeware.blogspot.com/ in my blog thank you.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:05 AM
VIP Member

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post
come on, there isn't a single app for the iphone or the droid that u can't find for windows mobile....
Obviously he's never used the iphone recently. That statement is so ridiculous.

Have you seen some of the APPs for the iphone the past year? (and I'm not talking just about games)
Yeah, there are some great Winmo programs that currently have no iphone equivalent (tethering is probably the biggest). But to say "there isn't a single app for the iphone that u can't find for windows mobile.." is just plain crazy.

It's fine to defend Winmo but if you are going to do it, at least make statements that are accurate...
Old 01-31-2010, 05:08 AM
VIP Member

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveholtam View Post
Another major reason the apps go to iphone and android that I don't think anyone has mentioned is that the developers actually make money on their apps with those phones. What has been mentioned a dozen times in this thread is to use google to find the WinMo apps for free. Thats because people rip the cabs and freely share any keycodes or others ways to prove someone actually paid for the app.

Itunes is the only legit way people purchase apps for the iphone. Sure, if your iphone is jailbroke, you can hit the torrents and find the apps for free. This however is a small percentage of the total iphones on the market. The iphone crowd is happy to use itunes, and happy to use the easy interface of the itunes store to get the apps they want, and then gladly pay the few bucks for them.

Any smart developer would design for the paying crowd first. Why else bother making an app? WinMo makes it to easy to "share" apps, and I think that is the main reason nobody bothers trying to make high-end apps for us.
so true... developers will always flock to where they can make money and a living.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6875US Touch Pro 2
Carrier: USCC

skuddy is keeping up the good workskuddy is keeping up the good work

Another big reason there are lots more apps for the iphone is because there is one device to program for. android is open source so that is why they get a lot of development. android and windows phones have the hurdle of having multiple devices with different proccessors and different amounts of ram. different resolutions all kinds of factors that programmers have to take into account. its hard to make a single app for a mobile os with so many different devices. i want to believe this is going to be one of the problems microsoft will takle with windows phone 7 but im sure ill be wrong. lol. microsoft always plays the wildcard. sometimes they win sometimes they lose.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions