PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

pkmgarf is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[9/22/09] PKRom 0.5 - Titanium Only - WinMo 6.5 (23017) - Lightweight

Well, after spending yesterday reading up on ROM building, and last night staring at my laptop for more hours than I would have liked, I managed to make my first ROM.

I've tried many of the "popular" ROMs out there, and just didn't think they did what I wanted them to do. My Diamond was still slow, buggy and kind of a PITA to use. My goal here is to create lightweight, fast ROM with good performance, without a lot of bloat apps that no one really uses.

In fact, I stripped out a lot (including Manilla and some other HTC apps), as my opinion is, a ROM should be basic, and the user should choose what programs they want to run and then just install them via .cab. That, and I really am not a fan of Manilla. Maybe it's decent on newer devices, but it never impressed me on my Diamond (tried a few ROMs with, and a few without, and I prefer Titanium).

I cooked this using SSK's Kitchen v2.7.5 (www.sskusers.net). Here's the nitty-gritty details:

-WinMo 6.5 (23017)
-NO MANILLA - Titanium Only!
-Notification Enhancer
-Window's games (Bubble Breaker, Solitaire, Chess, FreeCell and Hearts)
-File Explorer extension
-Opera 9.5
-Facebook app
-Office Mobile
-Adobe Reader
-Numerous utilities (cleanRAM, clearTemp, Advanced Config, Diamond Tweak, Registry Editor, PocketRAR)
-S2U2
-White/Blue Phone canvas
-WinMo 6.5 ringtones and widgets
-Finger Keyboard 2.1
-HTC camera, Album
-Voice recorder, in-call recorder and MP3 trimmer

I think that is most of it. I've been using the ROM since last night, and all seems well. RAM on boot-up is at about 35-40%, and it seems to stay there (don't know for sure, haven't done much with the phone since flashing). Here's all the data from Settings/Memory

Storage:
Total: 96.80 MB
In Use: 41.84 MB
Free: 54.96

Program
Total: 192.80 MB
In Use: 71.07 MB
Free: 121.73 MB

I've got a lot to do still, like rearrange the Start menu (it's a mess) and change some apps, but so far, it seems to be working well. I don't have any screenshots (no app installed, plus there is nothing too special as far as looks go with this ROM. It's basically Titanium with some new icons on the task bar and a black Vista orb for the start menu).

http://rapidshare.com/files/283577994/DIAMIMG.nbh.html

Last edited by pkmgarf; 09-22-2009 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Added memory info and fixed some other stuff and added link.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

pkmgarf is a n00b
Re: [9/22/09] PKRom 0.5 - Titanium Only - WinMo 6.5 (23017) - Lightweight

Added download link. Sorry it took so long...Rapidshare combined with spotty wireless internet is enough to make you want to kick someone's dog. My third upload attempt went through....
Old 09-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond | BlackBerry Tour 9630
Carrier: Telus

bane_dd is a n00b

Nice to see that I am not the only one who feels most of the ROMs out there are bloated and loaded with useless fluff. I've been playing around with a few kitchens myself but my real goal is to find Build 23047 and spin a nice, stable ROM out of it. In the meantime, I will give your ROM a whirl and let you know how it goes.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Mobileunderground.info
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bane_dd View Post
Nice to see that I am not the only one who feels most of the ROMs out there are bloated and loaded with useless fluff. I've been playing around with a few kitchens myself but my real goal is to find Build 23047 and spin a nice, stable ROM out of it. In the meantime, I will give your ROM a whirl and let you know how it goes.
build 23047 is pretty old man, the latest is 23414
can we get some screenshots please?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

pkmgarf is a n00b

It may be a while before another I make another ROM. I updated my Ubuntu install last night, and managed to nuke my Vista partition in the process. I'll start the XP install process later today maybe...
Old 09-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond | BlackBerry Tour 9630
Carrier: Telus

bane_dd is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeandestroyx View Post
build 23047 is pretty old man, the latest is 23414
can we get some screenshots please?
What would you suggest building a nice, stable, Titanium-only ROM out of? The idea is that it would do away with all the fluff present in the current releases and only feature the essentials, allowing the user to customize it by installing cabs on the internal storage partition. As long as it is a stable release, all the drivers are there and everything works as Microsoft intended it to, I would be happy. Any addition or enhancement can be done later.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

b4u2 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularb4u2 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularb4u2 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularb4u2 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularb4u2 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to b4u2
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (; U; ; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061208 Firefox/2.0.0 Opera 9.5)

Nice ROM so far. I didn't like the versions with the new softkeybar on the bottom. It didn't work well with most of the apps I use. The Start Menu definitely needs some work lol. I hope you get your PC up and running ok.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

b4u2 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularb4u2 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularb4u2 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularb4u2 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularb4u2 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Any more love for Titanium
Old 09-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: vogue
Carrier: cricket

hmnh717 is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to hmnh717

Can you re-up?

From RS:
"This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.
This limit is reached."
Old 10-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (; U; ; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061208 Firefox/2.0.0 Opera 9.5)

I am still using this rom. Any updates planned?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development