PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

FormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
CDMA Verizon Touch Pro XIPs - WM6.5 Native Kernel 23047 23053

Please see previous XIP thread here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=73316

These XIPs are in "old-style kitchen" format - ROM folder with os.nb.payload and boot.rgu in the ROM\XIP. I also have a romhdr.bin that should work with Visual Kitchen but I have not yet tested it.

I do not include WinCENLS - make sure this is in your SYS. Unless otherwise stated these are 12MB page pool, spinlock patched. I also include the no2chem GxDMA.dll wrapper for DDI. Make sure you don't duplicate GxDMA in your OEMDrivers.

These also include cachefilt.dll and some boot.hv tweaks to take advantage of that, and to remove some other generally useless stuff. I include the registry edits for the LockStream DRM package - removing this can cause you to get stuck in phone settings screen among other wierd problems.

EDIT 22-Sep - 23053 uploaded. Tested and booting. All seems well after a couple hours of playing. Made with PlatformRebuilder. Not quite as compact as the old way of doing it but not too bad either. ZIP includes entire ROM structure for Ervius Visual Kitchen - confirmed booting on VZW CDMA Touch Pro.

First up is 23047 tested and booting. Made with old-style touch, very compact, maximum memory recovery.

Massive huge thanks to Da_G and company for the CDMA Touch Pro WM6.5 native kernel.
Attached Files
File Type: zip XIP23047_WM65.zip (3.28 MB, 40 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: zip XIP23053_WM65.zip (4.44 MB, 132 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by FormerPalmOS; 09-22-2009 at 08:31 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 6850 Gimped Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wirelessness

jucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: CDMA Verizon Touch Pro XIPs - WM6.5 Native Kernel 23047

Hurray~!!!!
Old 09-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

FormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on rep

For some reason, Visual Kitchen wants to re-allocate all the modules in my XIP, move things around and waste about 48KB of program memory. I've given up trying to straighten it out. On to see if I can actually get a booter...

Oh - and reserving this post in case I go past 5 attachments...
Old 09-22-2009, 12:40 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Moto Droid @ 1.1GHz
Carrier: VZW

raidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to raidzero

FPOS, do you have any threads on how you do this and the general theory behind it? is cachefilt just a filesystem filter? We have also found out that spinlock patching thr 6.5 NK yields worse performance or did you find a way around that? thanks! I love the work you do with the xip..
Old 09-22-2009, 12:41 AM
Mobileunderground.info
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidzero View Post
FPOS, do you have any threads on how you do this and the general theory behind it? is cachefilt just a filesystem filter? We have also found out that spinlock patching thr 6.5 NK yields worse performance or did you find a way around that? thanks! I love the work you do with the xip..
[TUT] Manual Full XIP Porting (& MANY MORE TUTORIALS) [ONLINE] - xda-developers
check that out
Old 09-22-2009, 08:13 AM
Regular 'Geeker

jucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPalmOS View Post
For some reason, Visual Kitchen wants to re-allocate all the modules in my XIP, move things around and waste about 48KB of program memory. I've given up trying to straighten it out. On to see if I can actually get a booter...

Oh - and reserving this post in case I go past 5 attachments...
FPOS, how's the 6.5 NK in comparison to 6.1 after your tweak? I too have a Vzw TP and can't run 23053 due to lack of memory.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Regular 'Geeker

[Link removed by Coz]

I heard Silence's account was hacked and the hacker is posting virus Links on PPCG... DO NOT DOWNLOAD.

Last edited by CozBoogie; 09-22-2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Links Removed by Coz
Old 09-22-2009, 05:31 PM
AWOL
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2 and Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

indagroove is keeping up the good workindagroove is keeping up the good work

Um, is there even a kitchen out there that will build properly using xip.bin with a 6.5 NK? Pretty sure you need to use the VK or Platform Rebuilder, which don't use xip.bin.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Re: CDMA Verizon Touch Pro XIPs - WM6.5 Native Kernel 23047 23053

Original post updated with CDMA Touch Pro XIP for SYS23053, AKU5 (WM6.5) native kernel nk.exe. Tested booting, all works. Includes cachefilt.dll. Answers to questions in above posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidzero View Post
Somewhere I have a thread on Windows Mobile caching and file system performance. Basically yes cachefult.dll is a filter. What it does is smarter than diskcache.dll which is NOT a filter. Diskcache just reads the next few sectors when a request is made. If the next request happens to be captured by that read then you are golden. It keeps the last X amount of data read in memory (X is defined in boot.rgu - changing it elsewhere doesn't actually change anything - it must be defined in the XIP). Cachefllt is different - it reads the next n sectors that are part of the file, even if they aren't the next n sectors on the storage device. If those sectors are cached by diskcache.dll you are golden. If not, cachefilt.dll reads them (causing diskcache to do its thing again). The memory used for cachefilt.dll comes out of the pagepool. The memory used by diskcache comes out of program memory (you will see filesys.exe memory usage grow and shrink). Now all this said, diskcache.dll speeds up IMGFS reads. Cachefilt.dll does not. Cachefilt.dll ONLY speeds up reads to stuff that's NOT stored in ROM.

I have been running with a spinlocked nk.exe for a while and I can't say I notice an improvement or reduction in performance. I suspect the improvement is in latency, not raw throughput. I also spinlock several HTC OEM drivers and other files in the XIP - basically anything with the old-style ARM instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jucytec View Post
FPOS, how's the 6.5 NK in comparison to 6.1 after your tweak? I too have a Vzw TP and can't run 23053 due to lack of memory.
23049 was the last AKU5 build I could run with the 6.1 kernel. 23053 has like 100 more modules and crushed the VM space on the 6.1 kernel. YOu have to move to 6.5. That said, 23053 hauls booty like a pimp driving a girls catholic school bus. So I'd have to say that the combination of 6.5 kernel and 23053 is for SURE the fastest combination I've seen yet, by a substantial margin. Possibly due to the number of modules, possibly due to actual MS improvements, or a combination of both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indagroove View Post
Um, is there even a kitchen out there that will build properly using xip.bin with a 6.5 NK? Pretty sure you need to use the VK or Platform Rebuilder, which don't use xip.bin.
Outside of PlatformRebuilder, there aren't really any XIP kitchens. I do it the old fashioned way. But once an xip.bin is build via any means possible, it is quite possible to have Visual Kitchen use that XIP instead of one created by Platform Rebuilder. If you comment out the XIP sections in the kitchen_build_rom.bat file in Ervius' visual kitchen, it won't touch the XIP. The back-end of visual kitchen is the same as all other kitchens - based on Maimach's IMGFS tools from way back when. The 2nd step is merging the os.nb.payload containing the XIP.bin with the os.nb generated from imgfs2nb and imgfsfromdump.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Re: CDMA Verizon Touch Pro XIPs - WM6.5 Native Kernel 23047 23053

seems like 12 meg PagePool is too much for me. mostly because I'm using manila, voice command, pocketshield, push email... with everything loaded i get about 24 megs free... and it gradually goes down to nothing.

I have to get TP2.

EDIT: After i go through each of the tabs i get 15 megs free..

Last edited by jucytec; 09-22-2009 at 10:25 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development