PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC-6700
Carrier: Sprint

rhino4195 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Total n00b needs some help please!!

I am getting a sprint ppc 6700/apache and need some help. I want to put WM6.5 on it but dont know how. I realize that there are tutorials on this but if i dont know what anything means, these do me no good. I am litterally a total noob need help with even the very basics. What is bootloader? what is the kitchen? How do you use the kitchen? etc... I really need some help because I know nothing. If someone could inform me on this stuff it would be greatly appreciated. Like i said I just want to upgrade to WM6.5 and need some assistance. Thanks for any and all help!!
Old 09-14-2009, 05:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6700/Apache

pio_masaki is keeping up the good workpio_masaki is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to pio_masaki Send a message via MSN to pio_masaki
Re: Total n00b needs some help please!!

If you don't want to bother with the kitchen use this: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=77355

Download the version range that matches your boot loader. To check the version click and hold the power button up top, the record button on the side, then hit the reset button in the bottom (its in the little hole). After that your device goes dark, but the screen will say USB up top and a version number in the bottom. Use a flashlight, or sunlight and move the angle of the screen until you can make it out, the backlight will be off.

Using the kitchen involves downloading the BuildOS, running updater, and if/when it asks for login, use your login info for the forums. After that update the kitchen/buildos, and check apache (and any other devices you may have or want to flash). After the update is done, run the kitchen/buildos, choose your device, windows version 6.1 or 6.5, then you will be presented with TONS of stuff you can check. Be careful how much you choose as you can only install so much into the memory available for it. After that hit the "play" looking button in the upper left, it will open a box with lines of text scrolling past. Depending on what you pick, you may get an error, if it stops buildos then just uncheck that option and try again. Sometimes you get an overwrite question, yes or no doesn't seem to matter, I just hit yes. If you get through all that a new box pops up asking you to put your phone into bootloader (the 3 button salute I mentioned earlier) then click next, then it will pop up a info screen, hit next again, do NOT disconnect until it's done flashing. then, if it works and flashes, hard reset by pressing both softkeys (those line buttons above call and end besides the start and ok keys) and press reset. If it asks if you want to process, click Y on the keyboard. First boot takes awhile, be patient. Enjoy your cooked ROM.

This is all available through the search function on the forums.
PPC 6700 (2.02 WM5>WM6.5) Sprint

Guide:Activate WM6.1/WM6.5 flashed phone without ##MSL# code
Guide:Android on the Apache
I know where the thanks button is, do you?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC-6700
Threadstarter

rhino4195 is a n00b

Wow, thanks that is probably the best answer I've gotten. That was really helpful, and answered most of my questions. One last thing: after you check your bootloader how do you get out of bootloader mode? do you just do a reset?
Anyway, thanks for all of the help pio!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6700/Apache

pio_masaki is keeping up the good workpio_masaki is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to pio_masaki Send a message via MSN to pio_masaki

Yep, just hit the reset button in the lil hole on the bottom, it's not a hard reset or anything so your data should all be just as it was. IF you flash a new rom, it will be fresh, so get any info you need off BEFORE flashing, but do NOT use sprite backup and then restore it across different versions. Backup only your contacts, email, or whatever, I only use restore contacts, nothing else across versions. Even the same version re cooked and flashed gets just contacts, no programs, no settings, no registry, nothing else.

Glad to be of some help around here.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache

Tags
apache, htc, ppc6700, sprint