PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2009, 10:13 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: xv6700
Carrier: PagepPlus

Jedi is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to get GPS enabled? (Google maps)

if i cant, then how to switch the view from San Fran (default when i installed program) to whatever zipcode i want?
Old 05-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: ut 6700 , palm pre
Carrier: sprint

Gadg3t is a n00b
Re: How to get GPS enabled? (Google maps)

i think you if you want a gps to be installed you will have to buy a gps that will connect to your phone the 6700 doesnt come with gps.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:52 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Apache
Carrier: VIVO

rodsvin is a n00b

I think that was not the question actually.. lol.. he was asking how to change the default location view... here at my google maps when u use it and u close it it saves the last view you were in.. but if u clean the cache it changes to a default city for the country you're in... =D
Old 05-26-2009, 10:38 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: xv6700
Carrier: PagepPlus
Threadstarter

Jedi is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsvin View Post
I think that was not the question actually.. lol.. he was asking how to change the default location view... here at my google maps when u use it and u close it it saves the last view you were in.. but if u clean the cache it changes to a default city for the country you're in... =D
Exactly!

Microsoft Live Search knew where i was and told me how far the nearest coffee shop was (.14 miles).

If Live Search can do that, then why not Google Maps?!
Old 05-31-2009, 08:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon UT Starcom XV6700
Carrier: Metro PCS

alxjm69 is a n00b

Hmmm,..how did MS live find you?

I've installed it on my XV6700 and can't "Locate Me". Of course Google maps cant either.

I have the phone turned and as well data access, and even tried it with Wifi on, and yet it still can't find me.

What settings do you have or do you even have the same Xv6700?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6700 WM5.0
Carrier: Verizon

andi3132 is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to andi3132 Send a message via Yahoo to andi3132
Thumbs up How to get GPS enabled? (Google maps)

Hi!

I used to be a fan of Google maps 2.0 on my At&T HTC 8525, it always worked the way it was supposed. It used the cellphone network to find me and put the blue dot "the locator" near my location in a few seconds.
I changed carriers on May 2009 and bought a Verizon XV6700 (I believe it's also called the Apache, it may be made by Audiovox or HTC, I'm not sure). They are REALLY, REALLY similar. Some cosmetic differences and button location but it's 95% identical. Also, they both use WM5.
When I tried to migrate all my apps i realized that Google maps is now version 3.0, it looks kinda similar to my the 2.0 version BUT the blue dot locator no longer works. I even tried to rollback to version 2.0 and it still does not work.
On my quest to see what can be done, I found a similar applicattion.
I downloaded Windows live and it has a LOT more info available.... their version of the Blue DOT locator does not work either, but it does remember the last location searched.
This lead me to believe that either the Verizon network does not support this kind of applicattions, or the phone itslef is not capable of making them work fully t the way it's intended. Maybe just Verizon want to sell their turn by turn app @ $10.00 per month, I'm not sure why it works on AT&T and not Verizon.
I have a Bluetooth Tom Tom GPS transmitter and after some setup and finaggling with the COM ports... is finally configured to work with the TOM TOM Navigator 5.1 software I already had, OR the Google Maps, OR the Windows live Search App.
With the external Bluetooth GPS transmitter I can use Google maps or Live search as they should be, EVERYTHING works 100%.... But I'm kind of liking Live search more as it remembers the last location.. and there are different categories, sub categories, movies menu, and so on, that I can actually use, even without the GPS transmitter turned on.
The main menu in W Live Search looks more useful than the opening map in Google maps (that is ALWAYS in San Francisco), but that's just my personal

Anyway Those are my two cents.
Angel
Orlando Fl

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache