PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 01:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

New Daddy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Can applications mess up the ROM?

I've had the following symptom happen to my first XV6700 and now to my replacement XV6700:

Occasionally, its screen fades away and turns white (not black) and freezes.
When this happens, sometimes soft-reset succeeds in waking up the phone, but usually the phone just stalls upon the "Windows Mobile" welcome screen, requiring 6-10 soft resets.
At worst, I have to hard reset the phone, because soft-reset just wouldn't wake up the phone.
Even after a hard-reset, with no applications reinstalled, this symptom would recur.

The customer service representative at Verizon that handled my case told me that sometimes applications fry the system that even a factory-reset can't cure the problem.
So my question is, is that true?
I never hacked my ROM. Regardless, can some applications fry the ROM?
All the applications that I use are popular apps - Spb Backup, Spb phone suite, Agenda Fusion, SK Tools, etc.
Are these types of apps capable of wreaking havoc with the system?
Old 05-11-2009, 01:39 PM
My ROMS On My Site
Pocket PC: Vogue

PDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIP
Re: Can applications mess up the ROM?

Why would you ask Verizon to help to with tech stuff? All they're useful for is getting a replacment. ALWAYS come to PPCGeeks with questions like that. There are no programs that can mess up a ROM, it's in non-writeable partition. The only thing that can over-write it is an RUU. You have bad hardware, get a new one. NEVER ask Verizon's supposed "techs".

If you enjoy my work or I have helped you out, and you want to send some love my way... it's appreciated but not required.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

New Daddy is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDAPhoneJunkie View Post
Why would you ask Verizon to help to with tech stuff? All they're useful for is getting a replacment. ALWAYS come to PPCGeeks with questions like that. There are no programs that can mess up a ROM, it's in non-writeable partition. The only thing that can over-write it is an RUU. You have bad hardware, get a new one. NEVER ask Verizon's supposed "techs".
That's what I suspected too. I have a couple of follow-up questions:
(1) How come my two XV6700 started to freeze after a few months' use, instead of right out of the box? That sort of lent credibility to what Verizon's Tech folks were saying.
(2) What is RUU?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2009, 04:35 PM
My ROMS On My Site

PDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIP

That doesn't back up Verizon's statement at all, if something is gonna ruin it, it will happen the very instant you install and use it, not a long time after. An RUU is Rom Utility Upgrade.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

New Daddy is a n00b

Quote:
That doesn't back up Verizon's statement at all, if something is gonna ruin it, it will happen the very instant you install and use it, not a long time after. An RUU is Rom Utility Upgrade.

Is there any possibility that my XV6700's system (whatever the "system" means) can get fried even if the ROM is intact?
Old 05-11-2009, 07:52 PM
My ROMS On My Site

If a ROM is made for your device it is not going to ruin it. It is hard to flash a ROM that is gonna ruin it because it will usally not allow it to be flashed since the Model ID will be off. Your 6700 is messed up, try a custom ROM, if that doesn't work make Verizon give you a new one.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:33 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus

imnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIP

Quote:
Maybe no one else around here has had a problem with it, but all of your recent posts have had serious attitude in them in some form or another. Instead of criticizing people all the time, could you just help them out? While the Verizon Tech's may not have been right, that is no need to make them seem like the dumbest people ever. They're just doing their job of reading from documentation trying to make a living. Given the huge attitude shown by some around here, such as yourself, I'd avoid even PPCGeeks for help as n00b questions get nothing but harsh comments rather than the help they need. And telling people to "never ask techs" is stupid as well, as that could get you a free replacement as the techs are one of the people that could authorize it. And software, while it should cause issues immediately after use, could cause issues down the road instead. If they always caused problems immediately, then why aren't all bugs found 5 minutes after a new build of Firefox, Windows, Pidgin, or any other program for that matter, is released? Software problems can crop up down the road, whether it's due to memory leaks, random errors, temporary files, or whatever. However, these should be able to be fixed by a hard reset or ROM upgrade as suggested. Overall, you need to chill out and help people rather than being a total *** about every question that is posted and telling people to "Google it" rather than just telling them the answer and a friendly note to search more next time, which is overall more helpful and more likely to keep people around rather than being harsh and acting as though you are the be all and end all of PPC knowledge. So grow up and get over yourself.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:19 PM
My ROMS On My Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnuts View Post
Maybe no one else around here has had a problem with it, but all of your recent posts have had serious attitude in them in some form or another. Instead of criticizing people all the time, could you just help them out? While the Verizon Tech's may not have been right, that is no need to make them seem like the dumbest people ever. They're just doing their job of reading from documentation trying to make a living. Given the huge attitude shown by some around here, such as yourself, I'd avoid even PPCGeeks for help as n00b questions get nothing but harsh comments rather than the help they need. And telling people to "never ask techs" is stupid as well, as that could get you a free replacement as the techs are one of the people that could authorize it. And software, while it should cause issues immediately after use, could cause issues down the road instead. If they always caused problems immediately, then why aren't all bugs found 5 minutes after a new build of Firefox, Windows, Pidgin, or any other program for that matter, is released? Software problems can crop up down the road, whether it's due to memory leaks, random errors, temporary files, or whatever. However, these should be able to be fixed by a hard reset or ROM upgrade as suggested. Overall, you need to chill out and help people rather than being a total *** about every question that is posted and telling people to "Google it" rather than just telling them the answer and a friendly note to search more next time, which is overall more helpful and more likely to keep people around rather than being harsh and acting as though you are the be all and end all of PPC knowledge. So grow up and get over yourself.
Go cry up a river for yourself. I have helped many people around here, and not a lot of also isn't even public but rather through P.M. So for you to say I have an "attitude" is rediculous. Do you think I became a VIP by sitting here? No, I have helped people and earned a reputation. Don't take me wrong, I'm not saying because my reputation is higher I am a better person than you, but you don't have any room to talk when you haven't helped a whole lot. It has been told here many times than if you have moded your phone in any way, and by that, adding apps, tweaking, etc. that you should not call the 'techs' for help, but rather come here where we deal with modded phones.

Rather than you posting things as useless as that, why don't you just try and help people? Good day

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache