PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Hero
Carrier: Sprint

ElAguila is keeping up the good workElAguila is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
6.5 vs 6.1

I am getting ready to make a clean rom. I purchased the SPB Mobile Shell 3 that I want to use. I was wondering is there much of a performance difference between WM 6.1 and 6.5? I know the interface is a little different but that won't matter since I am using a 3rd party shell.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Reliance India

gadgetcrazy is just getting started
Re: 6.5 vs 6.1

Using shell 3. Leaves very little memory on 6.5.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Thanks for the info. I will stick to 6.1 then.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:33 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC 6800
Carrier: Bell Mobility

nuelo is just getting started

There are some small differences with 6.5 that you may want to consider. For example 6.5 comes with a new Pictures & Videos, a new IE, better touch/slide finger recognition, faster loading of tabbed interfaces, and maybe more undiscovered features.

Personally, I am running Spb MS3 on 6.5 (just haven't updated my signature yet) and I found only a couple instances where memory was short and those only happened before I started using Spb PP4 to ensure apps get CLOSED rather than MINIMIZED.

I am happy with my clean 6.5 ROM + Spb MS3. It's exactly what I have been looking for since Spb MS2 came out...
Radio Version: 3.42.50
SPL: nueSPL 2.47
"To copy ideas from one person is plagiarism. To copy ideas from many people is research."
Old 04-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: SPRINT

twisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuelo View Post
There are some small differences with 6.5 that you may want to consider. For example 6.5 comes with a new Pictures & Videos, a new IE, better touch/slide finger recognition, faster loading of tabbed interfaces, and maybe more undiscovered features.

Personally, I am running Spb MS3 on 6.5 (just haven't updated my signature yet) and I found only a couple instances where memory was short and those only happened before I started using Spb PP4 to ensure apps get CLOSED rather than MINIMIZED.

I am happy with my clean 6.5 ROM + Spb MS3. It's exactly what I have been looking for since Spb MS2 came out...
I agree.
I run the 6.5 rom in high memory mode thanks to nueCPL KERNAL "SWITCH TO HIGH MEMORY MODE" (don't use camera anyway).
On a clean restart with MS3 RUNNING I get between 21 and 22 mb free.
I love the new IE I think its faster than opera or skyfire
Plus in my opinion 6.5 is faster than 6.1
And as I'm sure everyone agrees MS3 rocks!!!!!!!!
It is hands down the best UI in the world.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro
Carrier: cricKet

nFiniti is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to nFiniti Send a message via MSN to nFiniti Send a message via Yahoo to nFiniti

I've been testing 6.5 vs 6.1... I have all my stuff from my 6.1 rom installed like Manila 2d and Google Maps... I think Manila2d is nicer in 6.5 since the start menue has a nicer touch interface.

About Memory... Yes 6.5 is much bigger, But at the same time I never notice any real performance issues like I would with 6.1. I can soft reset my phone right now, it will start up with 18mb (my 6.1 rom starts up with 22-23mb), And it rests at 15mb... But with use it dropps down to 13-10... I've even found it at 6mb... And have not seen any issues. I dislike the new IE so far... But I only used it for a couple minutes, So I didn't get a chance to mess with settings.

I like it. Going to wait till Monday to chose if I go back to 6.1 or stick with 6.5. But so far, I like! I have my roms saved onto my SD Card so I can switch back and fourth between them without any thought about it... I'm also running in high memory mode, since the camera seems to have some sort of memory leak... Dunno what the hell is going on there.

~Joshua A. Gray
Old 04-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Well, I have my mogul backed up so I might try 6.5 over the weekend and if I don't like it I can flash back and then restore my data and settings.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development