PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 12:02 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Palm Treo 800w

Raccroc is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Remove "screen off" from End Key

While I have used WM on several previous phones, this is my first Palm. I like the 800w, but cannot get used to the End Key (Red power button) turning off my screen, as this is the first phone I've had which preforms that way.

All previous phones, the End Key was the equivalent to hitting the "X" on an application and a different key was mapped to shut down the screen. I find it not only habitual to hit the End Key to close apps, but also very inconvenient to have to screen tap the "X" once I get my display back on.

So here is the question...anyone know how I can make this change to the End Key to make it a "end key"?

Also...Is there any way to remap the "screen off" to either the Record Button -OR- to Press-and-Hold End Key?
Old 01-03-2009, 01:20 AM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP
Re: Remove "screen off" from End Key

Thats what the "ok" button is for. Every WM phone has one. If you look on other WM phones the button that shuts the screen off has the power symbol on it, just like the 800w's red end key. So technically its correct in what it's doing.
Also, if you took the time to do a search you would have found this thread with a registry edit to get the end key to shut the screen off without minimizing any apps, then when you turn the screen on again you're right where you left off.
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:02 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Raccroc is a n00b

I never claimed what Palm is doing isn't technically correct. I'm sure it is.

Also, I did "take the time to do a search" and found how to disable the "end program"; however, if you had bothered to read what I asked, that is not the feature of the button wish I remove.

I'm looking for a way to disable the power off feature, NOT the end program/go to Today screen feature. My previous phone was a Mogal, which has a separate button on the side to turn off display and an "end button" which does just that (hangs up & ends programs). I prefer that functionality and that layout.

Using a program such as BlackMe, I can alter the Record button to turn off display and now I'm only left with seeing if I can remove the display-off from the End/Power Button and leave it with the end program/go to Today feature.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:15 AM
I love root

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP

Why do you want two separate buttons to do the same task as one button can currently do?

So you want to keep the functionality of the end key so that it minimizes all open apps and takes you directly to the Today screen, right?
And then you want another button to turn the screen off?
Whats the problem with just pressing the end key again after you're at the Today screen to shut the screen off?
I guess I just don't understand why you're trying to make a simple task into a more difficult one.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:46 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Raccroc is a n00b

I understand, I really do. It just not what I'm used to and, from a more functional viewpoint, it doesn't make as much since to me.

First and foremost, it is a phone, and that is it's most important task. To facilitate that, from my viewpoint, you basically need an "on-hook" and "off-hook" button.

What I''m used to is...
Green (off-hook) - I'd prefer this go to a dialpad, but can get used to it going to a searchable contacts list.
Red (on-hook) - End calls, and doubles as a end (or minimize in the WM world) applications.

To add any additional features to either button just complicates things, and can cause it to behave in ways I do not expect. Hitting the End Button to go to Today isn't a problem; however, it's tendency to turn off the display whether or not I'm already there is a problem (applications still opening, during open dialogs, etc.). Plus (and this may be the bigger issue), since it functionally "ends a call", I have no way to manually turn off the display off while talking. That means, I'm going to use another button to blank the screen anyway, so why have to buttons assigned to the same task? This is especially true when I'm already used to the display-off being a side button.

In the end, it's just a personal preference thing.

Last edited by Raccroc; 01-03-2009 at 02:48 AM. Reason: add a missing word - "manually"
Old 01-03-2009, 05:49 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: GS3/stock&unrooted

skeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccroc View Post
It just not what I'm used to
And there lies the issue, not the phone. C Palm is a little different then HTC.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:21 AM
I love root

Quote:
I understand, I really do. It just not what I'm used to and, from a more functional viewpoint, it doesn't make as much since to me.

First and foremost, it is a phone, and that is it's most important task. To facilitate that, from my viewpoint, you basically need an "on-hook" and "off-hook" button.

What I''m used to is...
Green (off-hook) - I'd prefer this go to a dialpad, but can get used to it going to a searchable contacts list.
I can kinda understand this point but it would silly for Palm (or any phone manufacturer) to duplicate this with only a software dialpad by using the green dial key since the device has a hardware dialpad on the front. I know you may not be used to the search feature by just typing but if you know the phone number you can just dial and hit call and it'll work just like using the software dialpad. I think thats why they added the extra "features" when you press the green dial key, to try and make it a little more useful. I put features in quotes because there are many people that don't like it. I like the way Palm has done it because it saves me the step of having to open the dialpad and then a submenu just to get to my call log and redial list. The software dialpad is just a click away though after hitting the green dial key.

Quote:
Red (on-hook) - End calls, and doubles as a end (or minimize in the WM world) applications.

To add any additional features to either button just complicates things, and can cause it to behave in ways I do not expect. Hitting the End Button to go to Today isn't a problem; however, it's tendency to turn off the display whether or not I'm already there is a problem (applications still opening, during open dialogs, etc.).
If you left the end key functionality stock it should only turn the screen off when you're at the Today screen. If your in the middle of an app or open dialog and you press the end key it should take you directly to the Today screen. I'm not sure why its turning off the display when you don't expect it to.

Quote:
Plus (and this may be the bigger issue), since it functionally "ends a call", I have no way to manually turn off the display off while talking. That means, I'm going to use another button to blank the screen anyway, so why have t[w]o buttons assigned to the same task? This is especially true when I'm already used to the display-off being a side button.

In the end, it's just a personal preference thing.
Ah, now I see what you're talking about. I guess that was the reason I was looking for when I was asking all those questions earlier. Many, many people (including myself) find it annoying that you can't turn the screen off while in a call. Its simple functionality that should be present. It hasn't really bugged me enough to do anything about it but I know I've read solutions at treocentral.com.

One thing you may keep in the back of your mind is that there is a registry hack to enable the assignment of an app to a single click of the side button in addition to pressing and holding it for 2-3 seconds. It can be found here. I assigned an app called Keylight to the side button so that then I press it once it turns the keyboard backlight on or off regardless of whether the backlight for the screen is on or off. I'm sure you could find an app that would turn the screen off and assign it to the side button's single click, that way you're not taking up the functionality of another button.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Raccroc is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
I can kinda understand this point but it would silly for Palm (or any phone manufacturer) to duplicate this with only a software dialpad by using the green dial key since the device has a hardware dialpad on the front. I know you may not be used to the search feature by just typing but if you know the phone number you can just dial and hit call and it'll work just like using the software dialpad. I think thats why they added the extra "features" when you press the green dial key, to try and make it a little more useful. I put features in quotes because there are many people that don't like it. I like the way Palm has done it because it saves me the step of having to open the dialpad and then a submenu just to get to my call log and redial list. The software dialpad is just a click away though after hitting the green dial key.
First, I misspoke when I stated "dialpad". You are correct that the dialpad would be goofy considering you have one on the keyboard. What I meant was a "dialing screen" with a "white space" you can type in a number (while it also searches your contacts and call logs). Hitting the Dial key and then going through a menu to dialpad also sucks. So, I've modified the phone so that the Green phone button goes directly to the dialing screen.
Now I just need to figure out how to get it to stop searching the contact from the Today screen on keyboard press...The dialing/contact search from the Today screen is, personally, the single worse "feature" they've added to the phones. It is just to easy to accidentally hit a key on the keyboard, while say, the phone is in my pocket, and dialing from the Today screen is an annoyance which saves me the "extra effort" of hitting just one large convenience key on my phone before dialing a number is just not at all worthwhile. Personal preference.

Quote:
If you left the end key functionality stock it should only turn the screen off when you're at the Today screen. If your in the middle of an app or open dialog and you press the end key it should take you directly to the Today screen. I'm not sure why its turning off the display when you don't expect it to.
Upon further playing with is, it does seem to be the case. Mostly, it is me hitting it when I think I'm do something else....again, I'm not used to it turning off the screen, so it's habitual for me to hit it. Still, backto to my original question...I want to disable that feature.

Quote:
Ah, now I see what you're talking about. I guess that was the reason I was looking for when I was asking all those questions earlier. Many, many people (including myself) find it annoying that you can't turn the screen off while in a call. Its simple functionality that should be present. It hasn't really bugged me enough to do anything about it but I know I've read solutions at treocentral.com.

One thing you may keep in the back of your mind is that there is a registry hack to enable the assignment of an app to a single click of the side button in addition to pressing and holding it for 2-3 seconds. It can be found here. I assigned an app called Keylight to the side button so that then I press it once it turns the keyboard backlight on or off regardless of whether the backlight for the screen is on or off. I'm sure you could find an app that would turn the screen off and assign it to the side button's single click, that way you're not taking up the functionality of another button.
Thanks for the Link. I've been looking for that exact functionality. Again though...if I am going to assign the side key to turn off the display, why do I need it on the End key as well? Seems redundant.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Raccroc is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeegcpp View Post
And there lies the issue, not the phone. C Palm is a little different then HTC.
Never stated anything different. I am fully aware the issue is mine as it is one of habit and personal preference. That is; however, one of the main purposes in asking for a "mod" and "hacks" to a device. To make it act in ways not originally designed by the manufacturer.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w