PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Smartphones > Devices > Motorola Q

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 05:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: none
Carrier: none

viperboy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
cemail.vol is 6.4mb!! what can i do?

hey guys, i was just wondering what i can do about this file. it's in the main directory of my moto q and i did a little bit of research on it, and i think it is the sms and email database (eg. senders name, time, and contents of message) i want to keep all my texts, but i really dont want a 6mb file on the device, and i tried moving/copying/deleting it and nothing works. can it somehow be put on the storage card? and if you somehow manage to delete it, do you lose all your text messages? thanks in advance!
Old 05-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: cemail.vol is 6.4mb!! what can i do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperboy
hey guys, i was just wondering what i can do about this file. it's in the main directory of my moto q and i did a little bit of research on it, and i think it is the sms and email database (eg. senders name, time, and contents of message) i want to keep all my texts, but i really dont want a 6mb file on the device, and i tried moving/copying/deleting it and nothing works. can it somehow be put on the storage card? and if you somehow manage to delete it, do you lose all your text messages? thanks in advance!
From what I understand, cemail is this:

Quote:
cemail.vol contains definitions of custom mail folders, the contents of all
mail folders and other mail settings.
As far as moving it...Tweaks2k2 has a "hack" to move your Inbox to the storage card. Not sure if that moves cemail.vol as well.

or you could try this (please do a backup though as I don't know if this works for WM5!)
Quote:
Alright, here it goes:
A. Importance...
1. Can retain your contacts and appts (let's call them: 'C&As')even if your IPSM is distroyed (I mean deleted)
2. Very importtant in restoring your C&As in the event of experimentation.
3. (please PM me if you got other usage of this)

B. HOW? (Please follow by number)
1. First you have to install Registry Editor
a. goto HKEY_CURRENT_USER
b. goto Software
c. goto Microsoft
d. goto MAPI (in here you can't see anything)
e. click Values
You must see: AttachPath, DbPath and PropertyPath values
f. goto AttachPath, change its Value Data to: Storage CardMAPIATTACHMENTS, click Done.
g. goto DbPath, change its Value Data to: Storage Cardcemail.vol, click Done.
h. goto PropertyPath, change its Value Data to: Storage CardMAPI, click Done, Back until the Registry Editor closes.

2. Restart your Smartphone.
3. This time you'll notice that your inbox is EMPTY. Don't panic. Here are more tweakings...(don't forget to close INBOX using Quick Close or Task Manager)
4. Use your Smart Explorer.
a. You will notice that in your Storage Card, a file named 'cemail.vol' is created. There's a 'MAPI' folder also.
b. Rename 'cemail.vol' to 'cemail2.vol' (or any other name with the .vol extension); do the same with the directory 'MAPI' (with another name of course. For this purpose, let's use 'MAPI2')
c. copy the file IPSMcemail.vol into your Storage Card, make a 'MAPI' directory and copy all the files inside the IPSMMAPI dir into this Storage CardMAPI dir.
d. logically, you are done.
e. RESTART your Smartphone.

5. This time, your INBOX and contacts must be of your previous state.
6. Check your C&As thoroughly. If satisfied (send me $5.0! He he Joke Joke Joke), let's do some cleaning to give your IPSM a breathing space.

7. run Smart Explorer and delete:
a. IPSMcemail.vol
b. IPSMMAPI
c. Storage Cardcemail2.vol
d. Storage CardMAPI2
8. YOUR DONE. Please tell me how much space you've regained in your IPSM.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

Scooter_in_WI is becoming a great contributor
Mal,
Just for poops and giggles, I tried the Tweaks2K hack to move the mail storage to the SD card. This does create a "Mail" folder in the SD card with what seems like all of the needed goodies. Alas, the cemail.vol stays where it is. I did read a couple posts that suggest renaming it if it becomes corrupt. After you rename it (or just delete it) Windows creates a brand new shiny one!
Old 05-24-2007, 10:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: none
Carrier: none
Threadstarter

viperboy is a n00b
thanks for that mal. i'll have to try it when i have more time. im just worried though that if i more or delete it or modify it in anyway, all my texts will be gone. cause i dont have that many emails, just lots of texts. what do you think?
Old 05-24-2007, 11:05 AM

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperboy
thanks for that mal. i'll have to try it when i have more time. im just worried though that if i more or delete it or modify it in anyway, all my texts will be gone. cause i dont have that many emails, just lots of texts. what do you think?
if you're really concerned or maybe as an alternate, you can try SMS Exporter to keep all of your records:

http://www.tntsoft.com/index.php?smsexpindex
Old 05-24-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_in_WI
Mal,
Just for poops and giggles, I tried the Tweaks2K hack to move the mail storage to the SD card. This does create a "Mail" folder in the SD card with what seems like all of the needed goodies. Alas, the cemail.vol stays where it is. I did read a couple posts that suggest renaming it if it becomes corrupt. After you rename it (or just delete it) Windows creates a brand new shiny one!
lol, poops and giggles.

good to hear it partially works. you're right about deleting it or renaming it, but in this case viperboy is adamant about keeping his old texts, so that might not work. but good to know if it does become corrupt
Old 07-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Lurker

atomikx is a n00b
what can you do about changing the size of emails you get? i am tired of the whole "if you want the rest of this message please login again"... how can i increase this?
Old 07-13-2007, 01:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

monkey is keeping up the good workmonkey is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomikx
what can you do about changing the size of emails you get? i am tired of the whole "if you want the rest of this message please login again"... how can i increase this?
Are you using exchange server?
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Smartphones > Devices > Motorola Q