PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you be cooking your own ROM or using a custom ROM cooked by your favorite chef?
I'm going to cook my ROM! 34 46.58%
I'm going to keep using my favorite chef's ROM 39 53.42%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2008, 01:39 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!
Carrier: Sprint

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
To cook or not to cook?

Just curious, now that the PPCGeeks Official Kitchen supports the 6.1 w/ GPS/REV A......will you cook your own rom, or will you continue to use a custom rom cooked by your favorite chef? I need to clean up my hard drive, gotta bunch of roms that I could delete, lol.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:44 PM
b00nsquad
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: To cook or not to cook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Man_Jenkins View Post
Just curious, now that the PPCGeeks Official Kitchen supports the 6.1 w/ GPS/REV A......will you cook your own rom, or will you continue to use a custom rom cooked by your favorite chef? I need to clean up my hard drive, gotta bunch of roms that I could delete, lol.
I wonder if the role of a chef might simply change ...

Provide a set of "personal OEM's" and a selections.txt file so that folks could still benefit from the work of a chef (unique skins come to mind) but also take advantage of the flexibility and customization available in the PPCKitchen.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Donatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Donatom3 Send a message via MSN to Donatom3 Send a message via Yahoo to Donatom3

If it's really as simple as checking what I want and unchecking what I don't, I'm definitely going to make my own rom. If I still can't get it right then I'll go back to my favorite chef's rom.

I think this will be great and hopefully people will stop asking Chefs to put in all the little things that they use and not necessarily everyone else.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatom3 View Post
If it's really as simple as checking what I want and unchecking what I don't, I'm definitely going to make my own rom. If I still can't get it right then I'll go back to my favorite chef's rom.

I think this will be great and hopefully people will stop asking Chefs to put in all the little things that they use and not necessarily everyone else.
I agree, I might try it now that the kitchen is out, but I'm also hesitant because I've had so much luck with some of these ROMs that you guys have made for us.

It never hurts to try though. I know if I can get this to work, then there would be no need for UC because I'll just cook everything into my ROM.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, Diamond, Vogue
Carrier: Bell Mobility

mixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

omj ur my fav cooker, and ur roms are just amazing...ill always use urs rather than cook my own (call me lazy) =P but uve got an amazing mind man...keep up the good work

Old 05-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Almost a VIP

Donatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Donatom3 Send a message via MSN to Donatom3 Send a message via Yahoo to Donatom3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxy View Post
omj ur my fav cooker, and ur roms are just amazing...ill always use urs rather than cook my own (call me lazy) =P but uve got an amazing mind man...keep up the good work
All the chefs do great work, but to me there is always a few things I dont' like in each rom, or some things that are missing. So to me cooking your own rom is the only solution to getting exactly what you want.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:03 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Man_Jenkins View Post
Yes, OMJ, you still need to cook! Maybee not to such a broad audience, or carriers.

As far as that goes, romchefs could start providing their zzzzzzuserwhatever OEM the oemizer makes and some other files that complete their package. This could somehow be incorporated into the new ppckitchen.org kitchen. Something where the updater updates the omj_whatever.txt and omj_rom.rar into the kitchen and that would be their customization.

But on the other hand, I'm sure that there is a higher percentage of users that are more comfortable with just downloading, and flashing. The just 'Get-er-Done' guys and gals still need taken care of as well.

Last edited by rstoyguy; 05-02-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue

PlainShane is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatom3 View Post
All the chefs do great work, but to me there is always a few things I dont' like in each rom, or some things that are missing. So to me cooking your own rom is the only solution to getting exactly what you want.
That's why OEM roms are always a crowd pleaser. I don't know about everyone else, but the idea of having a clean 6.1 with GPS/Rev A and the essentials (touch keyboard, sprint tv, office, etc...) makes more sense. That way I can add my own programs and then delete them if they fall out of favor. See with a ROM the apps are built in so if I want to use Resco Explorere over Total Commander then I am screwed because it is burnt into the damn thing. The idea of being able to get rid of apps is nice; uninstall! The roms are a great way to try out a bunch of programs I would normally not use though. Just my two cents.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker

mardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuff

I'll be cooking my own rom everyone has there own personall prefrences, and the only way to statisfy that is by making your own rom.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

I already cooked one, and loaded it. Now I'm about to re-flash with OMJ.WM6.1.GPS.Sprintv2.
I loved cooking my own roms on the 6700, but I haven't figured out all the reg hacks the chef's are using, and I don't really have the time to do it right now.

The rom I cooked has everything I wanted, but the UC didn't work, and it's seems very slow in response time when I try to open a program.

For now, I'm sticking to the stuff that already exist, and maybe down the road use the kitchen.
The nice thing about the roms you guys make is that there are several people using it.
When/If a issue comes up, several people see it, and work on a solution.
On my personal cooked rom, I'm the only one fixing the issues, and it get tiresome.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development