PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: ATT Tilt 2
Carrier: ATT

pbutin is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Flashing ROM to Device with no operating system

Hi,

My ATT Tilt 2 just went dead--while I was using it. The only screen I can get when I attempt a hard reset is the red/green/blue/white one that has RHO300, etc. at the top and "Serial" or "USB" at the bottom (when plugged in).

How can I flash a new ROM to the phone when it is in this condition? I've never tried this so will need some help. I've tried to flash using the USB cable but the flash programs say there is a communication error. Is there a way to flash from a micro card?

Just need some good advice--not ready to lose all my files and peripherals from WM yet.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

pbutin
Old 03-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Sprinkler of Pixie Dust
Pocket PC: Tin Can ^^)
Carrier: Verizon

Tinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Re: Flashing ROM to Device with no operating system

How frustrating! If you can get to the bootloader screen and the wording is switching from Serial to USB when plugged in, that is a good sign. You do realize that flashing another Rom will delete all your settings and files. You will be back to the factory default on everything (although at this point, it looks like you have no choice).

Old 03-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

pbutin is a n00b

Thanks so much for replying. Oddly enough, when I started fiddling around with the power switch and the down volume and removing the battery, etc., the phone revived and I now have access to everything I used to--

So I guess it fixed itself.

I may want to flash a ROM in the future, but hopefully I can do it using activesynch now!

I appreciate your kind response.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:07 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

pbutin is a n00b
Unhappy Re: Flashing ROM to Device with no operating system

Thanks again for replying. Had to reset the phone this morning and it failed to boot up again. So I switched my SIM and micro card back to my old Fuze for the day. Tonight I got the phone to start up again by taking out the battery and repeatedly pressing the power button --it was pretty normal once it booted up--but when it needed to be rebooted, it would fail again. Once I got it up, I was able to install the most recent ROM from HTC (HTC_Tilt2_2.10.502.4). It is labelled as the "Sense" ROM that was one of the last ones available in Windows Mobile. I loved it--substantial improvement over 6.1 or 6.5.

But then I rebooted after I installed some programs, and got the dreaded red/green/blue/white screen with the RHOD300 and either "serial" or "USB" at the bottom.

I tried to reboot by taking out the battery first about 30 times but no luck so far.

I have two thoughts:

1. I have a funky, cheesy program called "Rax reset" that I installed--is it possible that this program is screwing up the bootup process? It is a software that is sold in the Windows Mobile Marketplace that allows you to do either a soft or hard reboot. I hesitated to install it but did, and after that once I reset it it wouldn't reboot anymore. If I can get even one reboot, I'll uninstall this program, and see if that's what's screwing up the reboot process.

2. There is a white screen with blue type that flashes very briefly just after I try to reboot it--says "No Image File!" I think for someone who knows the hardware that might help us to know whether this is a hardware problem (in which case I probably just need a new device). If the hardware can't read even the newly installed operating system, then I think I'm shot.

Thinking about buying another one on Ebay--this would allow me to keep what I like for awhile until Windows phone gets fully up to speed.

Anybody out there understand or have experience with this problem and any good advice?

Thanks in advance.

Phil Butin
Old 03-22-2012, 07:03 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbutin View Post
Thanks again for replying. Had to reset the phone this morning and it failed to boot up again. So I switched my SIM and micro card back to my old Fuze for the day. Tonight I got the phone to start up again by taking out the battery and repeatedly pressing the power button --it was pretty normal once it booted up--but when it needed to be rebooted, it would fail again. Once I got it up, I was able to install the most recent ROM from HTC (HTC_Tilt2_2.10.502.4). It is labelled as the "Sense" ROM that was one of the last ones available in Windows Mobile. I loved it--substantial improvement over 6.1 or 6.5.

But then I rebooted after I installed some programs, and got the dreaded red/green/blue/white screen with the RHOD300 and either "serial" or "USB" at the bottom.

I tried to reboot by taking out the battery first about 30 times but no luck so far.

I have two thoughts:

1. I have a funky, cheesy program called "Rax reset" that I installed--is it possible that this program is screwing up the bootup process? It is a software that is sold in the Windows Mobile Marketplace that allows you to do either a soft or hard reboot. I hesitated to install it but did, and after that once I reset it it wouldn't reboot anymore. If I can get even one reboot, I'll uninstall this program, and see if that's what's screwing up the reboot process.

2. There is a white screen with blue type that flashes very briefly just after I try to reboot it--says "No Image File!" I think for someone who knows the hardware that might help us to know whether this is a hardware problem (in which case I probably just need a new device). If the hardware can't read even the newly installed operating system, then I think I'm shot.

Thinking about buying another one on Ebay--this would allow me to keep what I like for awhile until Windows phone gets fully up to speed.

Anybody out there understand or have experience with this problem and any good advice?

Thanks in advance.

Phil Butin
I'd say hard reset using the button combo and then don't install that reset app again.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

pbutin is a n00b

Thanks for the suggestions. The button combo wouldn't work because the phone was completely stuck in the bootloader screen, so there was no way to reboot. The phone wasn't reading the new OS that I installed. Occasionally if I pulled the battery and then hit power, it would randomly reboot. This happened yesterday, and I immediately deleted "Rax reset." Everything has booted up fine since then, and I am very pleased with the "Sense" official upgrade for the Tilt 2 that I downloaded from the HTC site. This thread may be valuable to others tempted to use the Rax Reset program. It worked fine for me for well over a year, but now it seems to be what was locking up the device in the bootloader screen. If it turns out to be something different, I'll alert everyone by adding a post to this forum.

Thanks to all for your attention and time.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbutin View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. The button combo wouldn't work because the phone was completely stuck in the bootloader screen, so there was no way to reboot. The phone wasn't reading the new OS that I installed. Occasionally if I pulled the battery and then hit power, it would randomly reboot. This happened yesterday, and I immediately deleted "Rax reset." Everything has booted up fine since then, and I am very pleased with the "Sense" official upgrade for the Tilt 2 that I downloaded from the HTC site. This thread may be valuable to others tempted to use the Rax Reset program. It worked fine for me for well over a year, but now it seems to be what was locking up the device in the bootloader screen. If it turns out to be something different, I'll alert everyone by adding a post to this forum.

Thanks to all for your attention and time.
Glad it's working for you now.
By the way, if you remove the battery and then reinstall it then press and hold the Send and End Keys and while you hold Send and End down push the Power button you will see the Factory Reset(Hard Reset) screen and there is no need to reboot to Hard Reset.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
flash from rho300 screen?