PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 12:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

wizardknight is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
*Solved* Bizarre screen sleep problem

I picked up an ebay TP2 phone as a spare. It was sold as-is, but implied that it was working correctly. I should have probably passed, but lessons learned and all that.

So when phone is running WM 6.1 or 6.5 upon sleep the screen will go black and not wake up when the power button is pressed. However the phone it's self will wake back up. The screen just will not display. You can hear it beeping and the buttons light up as expected.

When I load an android rom onto it there is no problem waking from sleep in any way. The phone appears normal.
I did a reload of both the 6.5 and 6.1 stock roms to see if that might be related to the issue, but there was no change in behavior.

I initially though that the phone had a bad screen or button, but my experiences with the android rom seems to sugest there is an issue with the WM software.

Has anyone seen anything like this before, and/or know of a fix?[-o<

*Solved. See post #9&10 for diag details*

Last edited by wizardknight; 01-23-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Super genious in training
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

elesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Re: Bizarre screen sleep problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardknight View Post
I picked up an ebay TP2 phone as a spare. It was sold as-is, but implied that it was working correctly. I should have probably passed, but lessons learned and all that.

So when phone is running WM 6.1 or 6.5 upon sleep the screen will go black and not wake up when the power button is pressed. However the phone it's self will wake back up. The screen just will not display. You can hear it beeping and the buttons light up as expected.

When I load an android rom onto it there is no problem waking from sleep in any way. The phone appears normal.
I did a reload of both the 6.5 and 6.1 stock roms to see if that might be related to the issue, but there was no change in behavior.

I initially though that the phone had a bad screen or button, but my experiences with the android rom seems to sugest there is an issue with the WM software.

Has anyone seen anything like this before, and/or know of a fix?[-o<
There is no fix , its a SOD issue with windows 6.5 .. try a 6.5.5 ROM that should work ive never experienced SOD with 6.5.x ROMS
Old 01-22-2012, 03:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb View Post
There is no fix , its a SOD issue with windows 6.5 .. try a 6.5.5 ROM that should work ive never experienced SOD with 6.5.x ROMS
If it is a 6.5 issue, then why did it still happen with a 6.1 rom?
Old 01-22-2012, 03:32 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardknight View Post
If it is a 6.5 issue, then why did it still happen with a 6.1 rom?
there are memory differences between 6.1 and 6.5 and sometimes those segments don't get overwritten and remain from previous rom. I belive the fix is task29 and a stable rom.
also I believe touchflow is the primary cause of this. not sure I ever that the problem on a tflow free rom. sadly i've grown to like it, so I live with periodic 'sod', but usually I find that if I pull the stylus it will wake up eventually (usually within the time it takes to reboot)

Last edited by shaggylive; 01-22-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Super genious in training
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

elesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
there are memory differences between 6.1 and 6.5 and sometimes those segments don't get overwritten and remain from previous rom. I belive the fix is task29 and a stable rom.
also I believe touchflow is the primary cause of this. not sure I ever that the problem on a tflow free rom. sadly i've grown to like it, so I live with periodic 'sod', but usually I find that if I pull the stylus it will wake up eventually (usually within the time it takes to reboot)
now that you mention it i do remember having this issue only with SENSE/TFLOW roms .
Old 01-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TP2

EyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

i dont know if it helps, but i've been using the sprint basic rom, and not have this problem so you could try that rom out to see if it fixed it, then move onto other roms that you like more
Old 01-22-2012, 09:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
i dont know if it helps, but i've been using the sprint basic rom, and not have this problem so you could try that rom out to see if it fixed it, then move onto other roms that you like more
The WM 6.1 and 6.5 were stock sprint roms.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
I tried the Energy.RHODCDMA.29022.Sense2.5.Jul.04 with no change.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I stumbled across a thread that talked about Lumos. I downloaded it and during calibration I saw that the max and min on the light sensor was 0. On my good phone it was 2048 under bright light. I suspect I have a faulty sensor. I am going to try swapping the screen and see if that resolves the issue.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Well I just finished swapping the screen. The issue followed the hardware. So for anyone else having the SOD issue load up Lumos. If you get a 0 under bright light you probably have a bad screen sensor.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2