PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

bullis82 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS issue

I could not find anything related to what I have so I decided to write in here asking everyone.

I have been using my TP2 Sprint version on Android for many months now using bundles from this forum only.

On Gingerbread I had no Camera or GPS working (system crashed when trying to enable them).
I used Froyo full bundle 7.01 and camera worked but GPS keeps looking for satellites unsuccessfully.

After using kernel from Froyo to GB, I managed to get the Camera working on GB too but when enabling GPS application the system crashes and the phone restarts.

I tried using a few different modules but not able to have a go. Has anyone any update or advice on this? Maybe a specific kernel/module working?

PS: if someone knows, does Sprint version of TP2 has radio hardware inside?
Old 09-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Re: GPS issue

Well if you bothered to read the GB thread, you'd notice that GPS doesn't work yet on GB. In fact, all location-based services fail in GB currently.

Should work fine on FroYo tho. As far as endlessly scanning, if you use QuickGPS in WinMo (or get a solid GPS lock in WinMo) before booting Android, it will reduce your lock times in Android dramatically. Currently our port of Android doesn't take advantage of any of the advanced features for GPS like warm injection. See this thread for additional discussion on that topic.

As for your last question, "PS: if someone knows, does Sprint version of TP2 has radio hardware inside?" - uhhh... of course it does. It has cellular radio hardware, bluetooth radio hardware, wlan radio hardware, GPS radio hardware... there are many radios in every single cell phone on the market... Especially 'high-end' phones.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:42 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

bullis82 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Well if you bothered to read the GB thread, you'd notice that GPS doesn't work yet on GB. In fact, all location-based services fail in GB currently.

Should work fine on FroYo tho. As far as endlessly scanning, if you use QuickGPS in WinMo (or get a solid GPS lock in WinMo) before booting Android, it will reduce your lock times in Android dramatically. Currently our port of Android doesn't take advantage of any of the advanced features for GPS like warm injection. See this thread for additional discussion on that topic.

As for your last question, "PS: if someone knows, does Sprint version of TP2 has radio hardware inside?" - uhhh... of course it does. It has cellular radio hardware, bluetooth radio hardware, wlan radio hardware, GPS radio hardware... there are many radios in every single cell phone on the market... Especially 'high-end' phones.

I use Froyo from the link FR7.01 and though I tested many gps trackers (sygic, gps Test. gps staus, Maps) I do not manage to find any satellites, and the gps application display after a few seconds "your current location in currently unavailable."

I use modules-2.6.27.46-01348-g9de837f.tar.gz

While I am in WIN GPS works perfectly so the satellite information/maps are already there.

what am I doing wrong ...?

Thanx.

Last edited by bullis82; 09-09-2011 at 04:48 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullis82 View Post
I use Froyo from the link FR7.01 and though I tested many gps trackers (sygic, gps Test. gps staus, Maps) I do not manage to find any satellites, and the gps application display after a few seconds "your current location in currently unavailable."

I use modules-2.6.27.46-01348-g9de837f.tar.gz

While I am in WIN GPS works perfectly so the satellite information/maps are already there.

what am I doing wrong ...?

Thanx.
Please re-read what I said above. I already answered this question. You're not doing anything wrong.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Testing Extraordinaire

You sent me a visitor message, seemingly still confused about this issue. I will repost what I said above...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh
Is there something you're missing about what I'm saying...? Are you not grasping what I mean by 'advanced features of GPS'? I'm not sure where I'm losing you. You keep asking the same question over and over as if I'm not answering it, when I answered it the first time you asked...
Old 09-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Tynictansol is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to Tynictansol

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
I could be reading his question wrong, but I believe his use of 'radio' here is one of meaning FM/AM radio. Some applications give the impression that all you need to do is plug in a set of headphones to the TP2 and you can begin picking up stations in your area, such as you can, I think, with the EVO and other smartphones.

If this is, in fact, the thrust of his question, I think the answer is there's some hardware inside the device which could, theoretically, be used in this regard, but it is not functional on either 'side' of the OSes, Android or even in any of the various WM roms out there.

*edit: Or there is...and I'll stop typing because I have no idea if it would affect capabilities in Android

Last edited by Tynictansol; 09-11-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

bullis82 is a n00b

About the radio yes my bad I should specify that I was asking about FM/AM which I saw here and there some people saying that the specific branded mobile has no fm/am radio hardware. I just ask if someone here can confirm this.

For the GPS, you say it should be working fine ad then that it does not function with the advanced features... What advanced features are you talking about ? It cannot even locate my position on the map... Even though I followed your advice and worked it first on the Win OS.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullis82 View Post
About the radio yes my bad I should specify that I was asking about FM/AM which I saw here and there some people saying that the specific branded mobile has no fm/am radio hardware. I just ask if someone here can confirm this.

For the GPS, you say it should be working fine ad then that it does not function with the advanced features... What advanced features are you talking about ? It cannot even locate my position on the map... Even though I followed your advice and worked it first on the Win OS.

Thanks for your replies.
Did you bother reading the thread I linked earlier?

Here it is again..

That goes over all the stuff GPS related that doesn't work.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to get a lock at all, other than the usual caveats. Clear view of the sky, no big buildings outside, and certainly don't even try it inside any building.

Both should work equally well, but have you tried QuickGPS? That usually helps my phone dramatically. But also, keep in mind, without these advanced GPS features it can take an extremely long time to get a lock. Like 15+ minutes, no joke. Hence why you should try to do all you can to help out the GPS by using QuickGPS, then immediately boot Android and test GPS.

As for the FM/AM radio, I've seen some rumors that our BT chip also has an FM radio module in it, but I don't know if anyone's ever gotten it to actually work. I haven't looked into it myself actually, but I certainly haven't noticed anyone saying it works in Android.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: E4GT, Touch Pro 2, Evo, Blackberry 9330

matchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmatchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmatchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmatchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

IIRC, the AM/FM radio was only working on GSM Touch Pro 2's...
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchstickredgti View Post
IIRC, the AM/FM radio was only working on GSM Touch Pro 2's...
This is correct, unfortunately.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Tags
gps, tp2 android