PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 12:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRo2
Carrier: Verizon

Sting32 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Stupid question?? Inside droid builds, can you tell which build? & more

I hate to ask stupid questions, but... I have been a busy little s*** myself.

I had a lot of trouble with the android projects, which I caused myself, I finally figured out that when I hard reset my touchpro2, that "Location Service" is set to 911 only, and is found in an semi obscure place, which would kill all android packages I had tried (all of them listed in PPCgeeks, even the older frx02 versions, which were working for me just days before!

BTW -->I bow to you guys that keep all this info about where and how in your heads!

Anyway, before I figured this out, I tried and tried all different flavors again, not in order either. then I was adding bing to wm6.5 side that was when I realized I hadn't enabled that one spot for Location... so now I have the phone setup more than great, but that was about 2 days ago when I figured out the problem, and not sure which package I have.

I think it is frx06, but is there an easy way to tell from win side or even droid's side?

2nd> how do you edit the bookmarks (favorites) in the droid side? I have several mistakes listed, and for my own ease of use want to get rid of the SOB's that dont work, or point to useless info.

Thanks to all you, for what you do here!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Re: Stupid question?? Inside droid builds, can you tell which build? & more

Favorites in the stock browser just click&hold to get the context menu.

To see which system image you have, in Android go to Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Sting32 is a n00b
Thanks a bunch.

Sent via TP2 -- which is Droidin' batteries dead in 4 hours, LOL
Old 04-13-2011, 12:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Sting32 is a n00b

I got more questons, hopefully not dumb, and be helpfull to others, or others might know and I just didnt see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Well thanks for your kind words. (snip)

Back to your topic, for reinstalling apps there's two methods that work pretty well. You can get the build where you like it app-wise, and then go thru the /data/app folder and pull out all the APK's you like. Store them in the AndroidApps folder, and if you blast out your data.img, those apps will magically be installed for you . The one thing that doesn't address is the data within said apps, and if you want to back that up I highly recommend Titanium Backup - this is one of those apps I'd like to include, but I don't think I can. I'll poke around, perhaps I am able to include that app. That and SystemPanel Lite I am going to try and provide APK's for in future builds, in that AndroidApps folder!
Arrrgh, (or anyone else that has time to post),

I am not clear where this /data/app folder is? I had shut off droid already before reading your post, So I took the SD card out, trying to look through folders via Windows... then, I put it back in, & I used Astro file browser looking for /data/app folders... Maybe wrong app to do this with.

FWIW, many times (since I live & WORK in a bad wireless reception/coverage area) I end up with a locked up TP2 android running phone, usually after it goes to sleep or silly me testing out market (free) apps. So, then I reboot or pull battery... is that when the APK's are being flushed maybe?

Info you might need about my setup... I have my working DROID build in a sdcard root/andboot folder, when it runs it seems to build 2 or 3 folders in root of the SDcard, "ANDROID" "cache" "data", then after using of course more folders like "yahoo" "DCIM" "download" "media" appear (pay no attention to my typing in uppercase or not please). when I switch builds, I move "android" back into "andboot", then rename andboot, then rename the other build folder back to andboot, and move folders like (android & others) back up to root as well (if they arent empty folders)

inside the andboot (I know you know) there is androidapps, which I have copied some what I call "critical APK's" to me at least, so I have them upon first boot, most of these found in previous builds or what not, so I have them in a folder for safe keeping.

Which leads me to: SInce and so far, I never have found the APK's after I install from the "Marketplace" AND until you posted, I'd never looked either... But! there are 5 apps I need to keep for myself, and can keep on my PC and in a folder on SD card for reinstall...which would be handy as, well you know, friggin handy!

Then after all that above, This all leads me to a question, about the fact I want to buy an app that I would use, but because I have this far, FAILED to find the APKs, and since I love to I rebuild the "droid" portion and run many different builds, I'm worried that the expensive app might think the license is no longer valid? But if I had the APK, I might be ok?

I guess, if I find where the APK's go, I am still not sure how they check {if they check} if I should be able to download/reinstall and run paid for apps...

The app in question is the one to let me sync my Droid contacts with my PC which is running outlook with exchange... (CompanionLink is one option ($40 bucks though)). I have an extensive phone/email list, sorted by company! In droid I would kill to have that feature, because I know what company, damned if I know which tech or phone I need to call (depends on time of day, system affected, etc... as long as I have it sorted by company, I have my mobil "Company directory".

I dont want to pay 40 bucks for each android setup I run, maybe I am supposed to? if that is the case I would pick on that I call "my droid" to install it on I guess, but that seems wanky.... right now I play with 3: Frx04,05,06, and was wanting to play with froyo x? This is so fun!

Thanks so much to everyone and anyone involved!
I am getting smarter, and hope to be able to put up more help than answers.

Last edited by Sting32; 04-13-2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Readability, honest.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
I am not clear where this /data/app folder is? I had shut off droid already before reading your post, So I took the SD card out, trying to look through folders via Windows... then, I put it back in, & I used Astro file browser looking for /data/app folders... Maybe wrong app to do this with.
Holy post batman, I had to trim!

/data/app is in Android - you won't see it on your SD card. If you use adb, ls /data/app - you should see a boatload of APK's you've installed.

As for the paid app question, I think it is highly dependent on the app. For example, I paid for Titanium Backup - they do their license thru a text file on the SD card. So no matter how many times I blow away that app, it'll always show as registered to me so long as that text file is there. I'm not sure of how other apps do it, as this is the only one I've purchased so far .

I think those answered your questions - I tried to sift thru the post, you wrote quite a novel there .
Old 04-13-2011, 09:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Sting32 is a n00b
Yeah I have a problem that way I read my post an add more to it, tryin to make myself clear. your answered the main 1. Ill probably. Buy it, see where it drops

sent from my windows phone, which is running android.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2