PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Finallast is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Possible fix for GPS not acquiring correct location

Hopefully this can help someone else with the GPS not acquiring the proper location.

I was doing testing with different GPS tools from the Android Market.
I believe I found a program that may work. Do a search for "GpsFix"

Here is how I tested it.
1. Using FROYO x RED 02.06, GPS using Google maps will show my location as in the ocean somewhere.
2. Installed GpsFix, my GPS location is fixed instantly.

to rule out a fluke.

3. Formated my SD card with HP SD formatting tool.
4. This time I used a fresh ndno's FRX04 package with the 1253 kernel OCed at 710Mhz. From here
5. Google map - GPS shows me in the middle of some ocean again.
6. Downloaded and installed GpsFix
7. Google map - GPS shows correct location again.

I don't why it worked for me.
Not saying it will fix everyone's issues, but I just thought to share my personal experiences and hopefully might help others.

Feel free to ask me if there's any questions.

Only tested it on a Sprint TP2.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO 2 (Sprint)

ModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Possible fix for GPS not acquiring correct location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallast View Post
Hopefully this can help someone else with the GPS not acquiring the proper location.

I was doing testing with different GPS tools from the Android Market.
I believe I found a program that may work. Do a search for "GpsFix"

Here is how I tested it.
1. Using FROYO x RED 02.06, GPS using Google maps will show my location as in the ocean somewhere.
2. Installed GpsFix, my GPS location is fixed instantly.

to rule out a fluke.

3. Formated my SD card with HP SD formatting tool.
4. This time I used a fresh ndno's FRX04 package with the 1253 kernel OCed at 710Mhz. From here
5. Google map - GPS shows me in the middle of some ocean again.
6. Downloaded and installed GpsFix
7. Google map - GPS shows correct location again.

I don't why it worked for me.
Not saying it will fix everyone's issues, but I just thought to share my personal experiences and hopefully might help others.

Feel free to ask me if there's any questions.

Only tested it on a Sprint TP2.
I use to use GPS Status from the android market.

On the older builds It locked on my location in a matter of seconds and was very accurate but on the more earlier versions it hasn't worked so well. or even work at all to be honest

Thanks for sharing this info!

A poster also suggested running quickgps on WinMo first and then try getting your location on android and they may help (nerver worked for me though but worth a try)

Old 02-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Interesting.

Certainly worth a shot. I've used GPS Status, and it doesn't really seem to help with locks (for me at least) unfortunately. QuickGPS is the only thing that has noticeably improved lock times, and it's a pain. Always open to new/better ways of doing things, I'll check it out. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Finallast is just getting started

QuickGPS works for me, but I am trying to avoid booting into WM unless it is to test out a new Android build.

Anyone else have any luck ?
Old 02-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallast View Post
QuickGPS works for me, but I am trying to avoid booting into WM unless it is to test out a new Android build.

Anyone else have any luck ?
Well, I ran this app... and honestly it doesn't seem to *do* anything other than keep the GPS radio active for a certain period of time (configurable thru preferences).

GPS Status *should* work, but I don't think we have the code in place to do what QuickGPS does in WinMo.

So it was a nice thought, but it seems this app doesn't really do anything other than keep the radio enabled. Shame really.

I was still placed in the middle of the ocean for 15+mins. Oh well.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Lurker
Carrier: Boost Mobile

amysharren is a n00b

I'm not sure if this really helps too much or not, but my GPS in Android never puts me in the ocean anymore. Sometimes when I try to use Places or Maps it thinks I'm in the last city I was locked in on and gets stuck there. I don't normally wait to see how long it is going to be stuck, I just task kill Maps/Places and disable then re-enable GPS and it works fine.
I have a Sprint Touch Pro2 (Rhodium400). Here's what I do:
I have two exe files in my startup folder in WinMo; one is for the Startup Utility and the other is for Google Maps. When my phone turns on in WinMo, Google Maps opens first then the Startup Utility. I never even see Google Maps or do anything with it. As soon as the phone is booted up, all I see is the Startup Utility and I hit "Boot" to get back into Android. That way I never have to worry about re-starting it for the GPS.
I am thinking about trying the Gen Y Dual Boot. I haven't started reading too much about it yet, but putting Google Maps in the startup folder in WinMo might not work for that setup. Anyway, hope that this trick might work for someone else.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; FROYO X Build/FROYO X) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I found an app in Marketplace called Fasterfix which seems to have corrected the middle of the ocean syndrome. GPS fixes are much faster also.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2