PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 11:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola Q9c (busted)
Carrier: Sprint

PhatboyNYC is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need help! Screen won't turn on!

So yesterday my toddler son was playing with my Sprint Diamond. I was watching him when he dropped the phone onto the carpeted ground. The phone probably fell maybe about a foot but I guess the angle it hit the ground caused the battery cover to pop off.

When I picked up the phone, I noticed the screen was off and assumed it was in sleep mode because the battery didn't dislodge or anything. But when I pressed the power button, the phone wouldn't come on. I tried pulling the battery, hard resetting, etc but the screen still won't turn on.

While I was playing around with it, holding down the volume down button, power button and enter button at the same time, I could see the screen come on for a bit, then go blank again.

Physically there's no visible damage, there isn't even a scuff or scratch on the corners where the phone probably hit the ground. However, by some freak chance I think the fall caused something to go wrong internally.

When I pull the battery and restart the phone, it vibrates as if it were powering up. But the screen never comes on.

Considering I don't have insurance on the phone, taking it back to Sprint is not an option. Has this happened to anyone before? Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:42 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Need help! Screen won't turn on!

Maybe you can get lucky and disassemble it if you're not under warranty. If you have warranty take it to Sprint. Heck they may be able to repair it for you.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola Q9c (busted)
Threadstarter

PhatboyNYC is just getting started

I bought the phone used from ebay and not directly from Sprint so I doubt there would be any applicable warranty available.

I know if I brought it to Sprint, they MIGHT be able to fix it, but I'd have to pay at least $65 since I don't have insurance which isn't worth it imo considering how dated the Diamond is and what they go for now.

Are there any writeups online regarding disassembling the Diamond and possible troubleshooting?
Old 09-12-2010, 07:44 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Yeah there is a thread on replacing the digitizer in here somewhere you can search for.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

UVAJD2B is a n00b

I had the same thing happen to mine. I was able to fix it in about 15-20 mins with a micro phillips screwdriver and a Torx wrench size 3. This is not standard in many Torx sets and I found the best and cheapest solution at Sears was a $5 single Torx-3 wrench (looks like a screwdriver). You take the back cover off, battery out, and remove the screws and torx to expose the internal wires and circuitboards. The small board below the screen (not underneath) has two ribbon cables. Make sure both are secure in their sockets (push hard). You will here a click sound. For me, I disconected and reconencted both to be sure. This resolved it. I can dig up the detailed instructions if this summary doesn't do it for you.

Regards,

JP

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond