PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 10:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro CDMA
Carrier: Sprint

bedlam247 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Windows7 on TP?

Hello all,

I enjoy my TP. I want to extend its life as much as possible. I find that the major issue I have with the phone was HTC's quality assurance. One phone had a sticky keyboard, but the replacement worked flawlessly.

I am rambling....

As I read the 1st look of Windows7 from PPCGEEKS, http://www.ppcgeeks.com/2010/08/23/o...-and-personal/

the author stated that the phone's hardware was nothing special, definitely not flagship models. So I extrapolated that our TP's hardware may have the computing power for Windows7. I just don't know what it takes to port the new os.

Can anyone know if Windows7 can exist on our TP?
Old 08-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Re: Windows7 on TP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedlam247 View Post
Hello all,

I enjoy my TP. I want to extend its life as much as possible. I find that the major issue I have with the phone was HTC's quality assurance. One phone had a sticky keyboard, but the replacement worked flawlessly.

I am rambling....

As I read the 1st look of Windows7 from PPCGEEKS, http://www.ppcgeeks.com/2010/08/23/o...-and-personal/

the author stated that the phone's hardware was nothing special, definitely not flagship models. So I extrapolated that our TP's hardware may have the computing power for Windows7. I just don't know what it takes to port the new os.

Can anyone know if Windows7 can exist on our TP?
Perhaps, but can they release at least one device for it before you start asking these questions?

It's definitely not going to be provided as an upgrade from HTC or any provider... so it's going to be like the XDAndroid project - and since Microsoft is so great about releasing their source code, I'm sure the hacking community will have an easy time porting it...

Perhaps because it's a native WinMo device it'll be 'easy' - but probably not. I'm not here to crush your hopes & dreams, but don't hold your breath.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (USC)
Carrier: US Cellular

snipper_cr is just getting started

Also I thought the WinPhone needed multi touch to work and the TP did not support that.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipper_cr View Post
Also I thought the WinPhone needed multi touch to work and the TP did not support that.
That will probably be the least of the concerns... I would say hardware like processor, memory, etc are going to be much more difficult - unless there's a native device that is similar enough... or if Microsoft just reuses an old kernel from WinCE (which I heard they're not doing... supposedly) then it may be easier than I am assuming.

But based on what little is known about the OS, it won't be an easy task. Microsoft really wants us to think they're building a new mobile OS from the ground up - and if that's the case it make take even longer to dive into it and port it.

You are correct that the TP has a resistive and not capacitive screen, I just don't think that will be a big deal. You'll just have it running without the fancy mutitouch features.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

WanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuff

If you check this out, you'll see that hardware issues would probably make 7 on TP impossible. It's an interesting comparison video.

http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/e...ser-comparison
Old 09-02-2010, 01:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro CDMA
Threadstarter

bedlam247 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingMinstrel View Post
If you check this out, you'll see that hardware issues would probably make 7 on TP impossible. It's an interesting comparison video.

http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/e...ser-comparison
Which hardware makes it impossible to have W7 on TP? W7 has an option to use pinch-to-zoom AND double-tap. On TP, pinch-to-zoom will not work, but double-tap will do the same thing. Nothing else in the web browser comparision makes it impossible to be on TP? Maybe I am missing something...Could you or someone explain?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

I'd say it'd be more of a processor/memory limitation... If Microsoft truly is building this system from the ground-up for newer phones, the TP probably won't be able to handle it.

We'll see what the wizards at dumping ROMs can do, I'd love to be proven wrong... I just have a feeling that it won't work since no manufacturer is going to customize Win7 for our phones... You've seen how tough porting Android to these devices are, and they HAVE the code!!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro