PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 02:57 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6800
Carrier: Verizon

cablegiirl is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question using xv6800, looking for new phone feedback

HI, I'm new here and am hoping to get some advice regarding a phone to upgrade to. I currently have the Verizon xv6800, WM6.

Windows Mobile - (Using 6.0, but I'd like 6.5 and if keeping the phone, I will sit down to figure out the upgrade work around)
Office 2003 - use Word and Excel primarily
Adobe PDF Reader
Google Maps - LOVE the voice search function!
MyPhone - particularly for back up of text msgs...
Facebook app (could take or leave this one, especially since I had to uninstall it to lean out my programs, but was handy when I had it)
Wireless Sync - I rarely sync with cable, so this is essential
Internet Explorer (especially since with SPB Pocket Plus you get to use tabs...)
*DEAL BREAKER!* - I recently tried and LOVED the SPB Shell and Pocket Plus and now pretty much can't stand the thought of keeping this phone without them! But they are $60 to buy, in addition to a necessary new battery, which together could easily cost $100+.

Dislikes :
*DEAL BREAKER!* - Not enough internal memory (or RAM maybe?) – I’ve had to keep apps to a minimum, otherwise constantly freezing. And/or camera won't work. Haven't looked, but I don't think there's any way to increase this for help with program processing?... If I install all apps on the storage card, would that eliminate this problem?
Messaging - Is not "Enhanced Messaging" capable
Size - pretty big and bulky, but not a deal breaker
Broadband modem link - tried it, worked fine, but not worth paying for it (Verizon buggers!...)
GPS - Verizon limited use of the GPS function If keeping the phone, I will have to sit down and do this work around too...
Limited apps available (of course...) - I use the Getting Things Done time management system and working within the limitations of the equipment, the OS and Verizon it’s harder, than with a lot of newer phones, to find the apps that I need.
Camera - can't get any scanner apps to work (like a barcode scanner or a business card scanner and text reader to add person to contacts) and seems to need a ton of memory to even open…

So bottom line is, if I keep it there’ll be money spent on hardware and apps to get it up to speed and some research to be done and time invested to get the GPS functioning and update to WM6.5 (then to sort out the effects of the limited processing ability). However, if I upgrade to a new phone, I'm obviously spending money on hardware and apps, as well as time on researching too. So I pose the question to this forum community in hopes of suggestions that may save me research and frustration time and energy and get me a great new phone or ideas to help with the issues with my xv6800.

Any thoughts and/or suggestion welcome! I tried to provide all the info that I thought would be helpful, but let me know if there’s anything else needed.
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!
Old 07-26-2010, 04:30 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT
Re: using xv6800, looking for new phone feedback

I can help with GPS....I got mine working so well, I can get locks with a lot of Sats within 10-15 seconds, 99% of the time...

Check this post(and look at a few posts below it) I did to help someone else, This should get you setup and running with GPS on the titan.

http://www.ppckitchen.org/forums/sho...=8460#post8460

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
Old 07-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6800
Threadstarter

cablegiirl is a n00b

THanks DavidinCT! DOn't I have to manually update WM6.1 to 6.5 though? And should I do that first? (Uuuuug - looks like A WHOLE LOTTA WORK! I haven't done any registry edits, so just a little nervous.)...
Old 07-27-2010, 07:33 PM
VIP Member

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

If your only with a factory XV6800 and you want to move on to the good stuff..

This is your bible, read this 3-4 times before you do anything. Trust me, it's not that hard, only a few steps really. I would start by finding someone else's rom (Titan area, just make sure it's a verizon rom), then move on to PPCkitchen...

Enjoy

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=33857
Old 08-05-2010, 06:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Fathom
Carrier: verizon

eatbuckshot is just getting started

I feel that if you'll be implementing GTD you would need a phone that's stable and incredibly responsive so that technical issues don't get in the way of your organization. IMO I've gone through the 6600, xv6700, xv6800, and touch pro 2, and the responsiveness of them is exactly inverse with the >5yr old 6600 being the fastest. I've been trying to look at GTD and really I feel the 6800 is too slow and lacking memory for constant use.

I recently got myself and LG fathom, which for the first time in 5 years i've actually been satisfied with the blazing performance.
So if you do like windows i suggest this phone. As for software, it's true it's difficult to find good software for winmo, but the forums help with that. (Try my life organized for GTD software, and Opera Mobile 10 is among the best browsers for winmo(great fluidity and tab support even some flash), there's also a free wifi wireless tethering application that we all use)

If you have verizon and are eligible for an upgrade you may be able to get the LG Fathom for $0.01 from amazon wireless.

Though this phone is new, so there hasn't been any custom developments for it. However, out of the box, it's the most usable windows mobile phone i've ever had including heavily modded ones. I just figured out how to get real GPS working on it too with google maps.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G
Carrier: SPRINT PCS

alher591 is keeping up the good workalher591 is keeping up the good work

get a touch pro 2 or run ryanmogul roms
Old 08-10-2010, 04:42 PM
VIP Member

My 6800 broke (again, key would not work), they gave me a Touch Pro 2, WOW a huge upgrade.

I will admit, I will kind of miss my titan, with the time I had it, I got everything working perfectly on it, from GPS(90% of the time, under 5 second locks) to exchange e-mail and I knew 90% of the tweaks and building roms for the phone.

I will miss the 6800 but, after about 2 weeks with a TP2, I think I will forget about it very quickly....I even like the TP2 stock...for now..

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Tags
memory usage, new phones, programs, xv6800