PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 08:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

ppcgpirate is keeping up the good workppcgpirate is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Captivate reception problem?

with the recent iphone 4 & antennagate fiasco, it looks like a video has been posted on youtube showing the samsung captivate (possibly other versions too) has the death grip reception issue. obviously not as bad as the iphone 4's one finger on the gap but still seems somewhat like an issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVsiAhltY5I

Last edited by ppcgpirate; 07-19-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:21 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Captivate reception problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcgpirate View Post
with the recent iphone 4 & antennagate fiasco, it looks like a video has been posted on youtube showing the samsung captivate (possibly other versions too) has the death grip reception issue. obviously not as bad as the iphone 4's one finger on the gap but still seems somewhat like an issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVsiAhltY5I
The iPhone and this are 2 different issues..in the iPhone they put the antenna outside so whenever you hold it causes interference in the signal...

Bars are just indicators..they do not display how good a connection is..its just a "general indicator"...unlike CDMA, GSM can connect to multiple towers, so you can be at 0 bars and still have good signal..I read indications where people had 0 bars and never had a disconnected call on the vibrant..on the iphone people had full bars and still lost calls.

on the iphone though is not only an issue with displaying the bars as it is with interference of the signal...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 07-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: ATT

dewt is a n00b

The antenna on the Captivate at least is partly the battery cover. There is a contact that sticks out of the phone and touches a bare, unpainted part of the inside of the cover.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:11 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon & Bravo
Carrier: Sprint & AT&T PAYG

budney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to budney

This phone or any other phone for that matter does not even close to how bad the iPhone4's issue is.

This is a good little read for any body thinking of getting this phone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...21&postcount=1

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020923.gif http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020658.gif
Old 07-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Captivate

Jofaba is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Bars are just indicators..they do not display how good a connection is..its just a "general indicator"...unlike CDMA, GSM can connect to multiple towers, so you can be at 0 bars and still have good signal..I read indications where people had 0 bars and never had a disconnected call on the vibrant..on the iphone people had full bars and still lost calls.
Then watch my other video where I show the dBm drop to zero when I touch the phone.

I've also done speed tests (though not yet on video) where holding the phone absolutely kills the connection.

And last but not least, I tested calling out with zero bars yesterday to the phone next to me and the other phone wouldn't start ringing until I removed my hand from my phone. This is absolutely a problem, but I'm hoping it's just a bad phone. Going to bring it back today to see if another unit works better.

btw I'm very surprised so many people have looked at that video! I drunkenly put it up to shut up some poster at androidforums who was essentially calling me an Apple troll for saying the Captivate suffered from reception issues =P
Old 07-20-2010, 09:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

ppcgpirate is keeping up the good workppcgpirate is keeping up the good work

i just hope the epic 4g doesn't have this problem.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Lurker
Carrier: at&t

potatoofdoom is a n00b

All that I care about is that I can hold it comfortably while I make a call, which so far I can. Very interesting though I'll pay attention to how I'm holding it now.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Lurker
Carrier: at&t

potatoofdoom is a n00b

Oh snap I have to change my device in my profile.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:37 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofaba View Post
Then watch my other video where I show the dBm drop to zero when I touch the phone.

I've also done speed tests (though not yet on video) where holding the phone absolutely kills the connection.

And last but not least, I tested calling out with zero bars yesterday to the phone next to me and the other phone wouldn't start ringing until I removed my hand from my phone. This is absolutely a problem, but I'm hoping it's just a bad phone. Going to bring it back today to see if another unit works better.

btw I'm very surprised so many people have looked at that video! I drunkenly put it up to shut up some poster at androidforums who was essentially calling me an Apple troll for saying the Captivate suffered from reception issues =P
Hmm...so far this is the first time I am hearing this :/...the 0 bar thing was from people on T-Mobile Vibrant...and they were still able to make calls and use 3G data...

See if you can exchange if not maybe it is specific to the Captivate..or maybe there is an issue with AT&T itself :/
Old 07-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Lurker

Jofaba is a n00b

http://androidforums.com/samsung-cap...on-issues.html

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series