PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC HD2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: AT&T

bossb2525 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bought HD2 on ebay. Memory card had trojan. Help!

So I bought a used HD2 off of ebay and when I took the memory card out and placed it in my computer, my McAfee software detected a trojan on the card (don't have the name of the trojan now because I'm at work). It quarantined the trojan but I'm afraid to use the phone now. When I looked up the trojan last night it said it was a "low level threat" but then I looked at what it could do (steal passwords and take snapshots of computer screens). When I looked at the picture album on the phone, I noticed that it did save some of the webpages from the previous user's web browsing as a temp file. The phone had "third party apps" already installed on the phone but I'm sure I need to clear them all off. What steps do I need to do to ensure my information is safe? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:20 AM
lwrdrchvy2

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Bought HD2 on ebay. Memory card had trojan. Help!

Just do a hard reset and you'll be good to go. It will set the phone back to factory default and eliminate all information/files on the device from the previous user. If you format the memory card that will clear up the trojan if you can't clean it but you will lose everything on the memory card. The only things you can't get back are the transformers movies, the games are all linked in a thread here.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:35 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: AT&T
Threadstarter

bossb2525 is a n00b

Thanks for the advice. I've hard reset my phone but I still notice that when I select the picture album, it still shows a saved screenshot as a temp file. Is that normal or does that mean traces of the trojan still remains somewhere on the phone. Windows scanned my memory card and the warning doesn't show up when I insert the card into my computer. Do I just need to erase the memory card just to be safe? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

BurgsideTiger is keeping up the good workBurgsideTiger is keeping up the good work

Sorry if this post doesnt help, I have a touch pro and before I flash a new rom, I run task29. It clears out all of the memory, aside from the radio. It is the only sure fire way to erase everything. Is there something like this for the hd2???

Just throwing that out there.
personally im not a fan of the reach around either. its not that per se, but more whats going on behind!. i hope you meant they always give you the run around, cuz if not, id avoid that store altogether!
Old 07-16-2010, 08:38 AM
lwrdrchvy2

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Task 29 is available for the HD2 and it wouldn't hurt to do that if you are worried about that screenshot being reminisce of that previous user's info.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC HD2