PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Samsung i760

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2007, 02:41 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: None yet
Carrier: Sprint

Vigilante is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Vigilante
First thing to do when getting the phone is?....

So I'm getting my i760 next week and it will be my very first experience with a PDA and Windows Mobile.
I saw VZGuy's little guide but had a couple additional questions.

Most places I read say you should hard reset the phone pretty much right away and "start clean". VZGuy shows how to hard reset but doesn't say how to deny loading any additional OEM software "crapware" ect... Another forum has them restarting the device at a certain point in the reload process to prevent extras from loading. Another person found a way to prevent them from loading, but still be "able" to load them via OEM cabs. And loading via CABS puts the software in the add/remove list whereas if they are autoloaded they do not go in the add/remove list.

So how do I reload this thing with the cleanest load possible?

Second, I know there are programs spread all over the forums, but could somebody give links to like the top most important 3rd party apps to load on PPC? Just those few that you can't live without? Maybe it's a theme or browser or registry editor, file browser. I dunno, but what are the must-have apps to load on there? Favorite games?

After a clean install and some basic apps, is there a list anywhere for must-have reg tweaks and hacks to speed it up and save battery?
I want it to be as clean and fast as possible.

As I try these hacks and reloads and stuff, is there a proggy that can benchmark PPC so I can have before/after benchmarks? Just wondering. Or how should I benchmark it?

Lastly, since I am in my 30 day period and also my warranty period, is there a standard "check list" of stuff I should go over to make sure every aspect of the phone is working? I remember somebody saying they couldn't receive SMS for example and had to hard reset to fix it. So has anybody put together an actual list of stuff to check out of the box to make sure everything is a-OK?

Thanks alot!
Old 11-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: SCH-i760
Carrier: Verizon

ajtmcse is a n00b
Verizon has cooked the ROM pretty well. When you do a hard reset, there is nothing that gets installed automatically, so everything they have done is right in the ROM. I'm not saying its not modifiable, just that on previous phones I have had (SX-66) on a hard reset, there would be programs that get automatically installed, which is not the case on the i760.

As with any of the Windows mobile phones, shorten the backlight times, and disable Bluetooth and Wifi when not in use to preserve battery life.

-Tony
Old 12-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC 6700

logoesdotbiz is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to logoesdotbiz
what about Kitchens?
Old 12-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung i760

Pimpleo is a n00b
hey im having issues with my i760 or maybe someone can clarify for me. i have ringtones set for my msgs. i would like for the the ringtones to end when i dismiss the txt msg it is annoying that the phone alerts continues even after i have read or dismissed the txt. can someone plz help me?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: None yet
Threadstarter

Vigilante is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to Vigilante
I don't know Pimpleo, and what is a kitchen logo?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Samsung i760