PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

beestea is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Running HTC Wifi Sharing 24x7

Has anyone ever tried to run HTC's wifi sharing software for an extended amount of time/days? I've used it alot on my Touch Diamond and find that eventually (3-4 hours) it heats up the phone/battery and then the battery stops charging resulting in the phone shutting off.

I am trying to find out if anyone has used a CDMA/Sprint phone to do this 24x7.... I know its a strage request but I am trying to give my old Sero plan to a relative who will only use it for Data. This is the only type of broadband they can get where they live and not only that but I will need to position the phone (and maybe use external antenna) in a specific spot for a consistant signal.

Maybe there is a phone I could use off of power supply only with no battery? Anyone else do something similar?

Obviously the proper way to do this is via data card and 3g cdma router, but that route will be about $24/month more, plus equipment costs.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
Re: Running HTC Wifi Sharing 24x7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beestea View Post
Has anyone ever tried to run HTC's wifi sharing software for an extended amount of time/days? I've used it alot on my Touch Diamond and find that eventually (3-4 hours) it heats up the phone/battery and then the battery stops charging resulting in the phone shutting off.

I am trying to find out if anyone has used a CDMA/Sprint phone to do this 24x7.... I know its a strage request but I am trying to give my old Sero plan to a relative who will only use it for Data. This is the only type of broadband they can get where they live and not only that but I will need to position the phone (and maybe use external antenna) in a specific spot for a consistant signal.

Maybe there is a phone I could use off of power supply only with no battery? Anyone else do something similar?

Obviously the proper way to do this is via data card and 3g cdma router, but that route will be about $24/month more, plus equipment costs.

I've heard of someone doing that, you may need a new battery, or you could put the phone upside-down and point a fan at it with the back door off, and just use USB tethering instead of wifi tethering. (or do the same thing plugged in with wifi tethering if you need it positioned far from the PC)
Old 05-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

^^^ +1
you can do it you'll just have to find something to keep it cool
Old 05-21-2010, 03:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

monkeyboy is keeping up the good workmonkeyboy is keeping up the good work

Get a simple Peltier module to cool the Diamond.

or I believe a Mogul runs cooler... they should be pretty cheap now...
Old 06-02-2010, 07:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc mogul
Carrier: boost

georgepa is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beestea View Post

1. You can use the Diamond, Mogul and other phones to tether. The problem is the battery. It depends how you use the internet. If you go mostly to sites to read (i.e. Google News, Howardforums, etc.) then you should not run out of battery juice faster than you can charge via USB or AC adapter. If you browse a lot of streams (video, radio, Youtube, etc.) then you are using more battery than you can charge, resulting in shutdown. There is ONE phone available (only that one) that you can tether to a computer, then take the battery out and run solely on AC adapter or USB (which prevents the battery overheating issue,) and that phone is the Sprint HTC Touch. All other phones will shut down as soon as you remove the battery, so the HTC Touch might fit the bill.

2. If you only use data you can go with Boost CDMA's Pay-as-You-Go account. You can move the HTC Touch, HTC Mogul, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2 and other Sprint phones into Boost CDMA and pay only $10 over a 90 day period. So, for $3.33 per month you get unlimited 3G data on the Sprint data network. Talk is 10 cts. per minute and texts are 10cts., but 3G data is unlimited and included.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

You'd look super cool with a fan on your phone 24/7

If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change ~Michael Jackson
Old 06-04-2010, 01:35 AM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney1985 View Post
You'd look super cool with a fan on your phone 24/7
don't forget the block of ice!
Old 06-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

oops, and the ice would just make it even more sexier
Old 06-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Retired Staff-MordyT.com
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

MordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the community

Got to keep it cool. I remember no2chem had a thing that prevented the battery from auto-stopping to charge. Something about it stops charging cause of the processor, not the battery itself, and that his toll overwrote the shutdown.
Originally Posted by CozBoogie View Post
5. Everyone who thanks my post will receive instant karma!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers2114 View Post
MordyT is right.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint-Nextel

UTSAFTW is a n00b

On my Touch Pro I've gotten it to work for a good 12 or so hours (I haven't tried beyond that) a couple of times by doing what orangekid said. They should be similar enough in design that turning it upside down, taking off the battery cover and pointing a fan at a high enough rate of speed should keep it from overheating.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions