PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC HD2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 07:51 PM
lwrdrchvy2

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Defender and Commuter Series Otterbox NOW AVAILABLE *REVIEWED*

I've been talking to a rep from Otterbox who is in charge of the T-mobile corporate accounts and she informed me that they are making a case for our beloved phone. They are trying to get the case ready and available by July but since that is still a far amount of time away that could change. Once it is available, she will be sending me one as a demo to show to customers since I work for Tmo...Once I have the case I will post a full review so everyone can make an informed decision on what case to go with.

EDIT: Defender series case now available, commuter series coming in the following weeks.

First impressions of the case are the typical impressions from otterbox. Case fits the phone like a glove. To get the correct seal I removed the ghost armor from my phone as the case fits so snug it wouldn't latch completely with it on. The core of the shell snaps onto the phone, latching in 7 places: 2 on each side, 2 on the bottom and 1 large latch at the top. Openings in the back line up perfectly with camera, speaker, and flash. Perfect alignment on the bottom for mic, charger and headset jack.The shell also has a screen protector built in so if you have one on the device already, it can be removed or left in place. I removed mine because the two were sticking together and I didn't like how it looked. I have not noticed a difference in the response of the screen, keeping an existing screen protector on the phone could decrease the sensitivity. Proximity sensor and ambient light sensor are unaffected. There is a channel on the sides of the outer edge of the screen that the rubber case seeds into to keep it in place .

The rubber cover fits just as snug as the shell. Each latch on the plastic shell doubles as a clasp to keep the cover in place. The bottom panel and volume controls are very thick so worrying about the pads breaking off after extended use is not a problem. A flap covers the charge port and headset jack so need to worry about the ports getting damaged from random objects. The back is textured which helps substanially with grip, greatly decreases the risk of the phone slipping out of your hand.

The case does make the phone a bit more bulky, but it also fits the hand better for those with larger hands. It fits my hand much better and I feel like have a much firmer grasp on the phone. It looks like the phone is about a 1/4" thicker while in the case. The holster for this thing is HUGE. It is very hard plastic, about 1/8" thick, and very solid. The phone can be snapped in with the screen facing in or out. Belt clip swivels in 15 degree increments and can be locked open to double as a kickstand! This is definitely a bonus that was well thought out by otterbox. There are two slits in the edge of the holster which I believe are to allow flexibility when putting the phone in the holster, potentially a fracture point depending on how rough you are but do not forsee that being a problem. Although I didn't pay for the case, I would have no problem dropping the $50 on it. For the amount of protection it provides it is well worth it.

Last edited by lwrdrchvy2; 08-09-2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Add Review
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Otterbox coming available in July

sweet! i had one on my bb, very good cases.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:47 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx/800w/HTC TP/TP2/HD2
Carrier: Sprint/Tmobile

Improve is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Improve

Great to know, if this was out already it would be great for me. I leave in 9 days, going on a carabbean cruise. Plus Ill need it this summer on the beach. Thanks for sharing, cant wait to hear about a release.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC HD2

PPP-1 is a n00b

Subscribing to this thread so I know re-read. Please update it when it becomes available so I know when to go to the local TMO store to get mine.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:54 PM
lwrdrchvy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPP-1 View Post
Subscribing to this thread so I know re-read. Please update it when it becomes available so I know when to go to the local TMO store to get mine.

Most likely won't be sold in T-MO stores. You will have to order it from otterbox.com unless something changes between now and then.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:17 PM
lwrdrchvy2

Otterbox Defender Series available as of today. Webpage is updated to allow orders.
http://www.otterbox.com/htc-cases/ht...eries-case-u.s.

Dear Mark,
I hope this letter finds you well and enjoying all the fun that comes with summer. I’ve been busy getting out to see some of you and also taking advantage of the great weather for a little vacation time. As the summer heats up even more I’m excited to let you know the HTC® HD2™ Defender Series™ case is here!
Available TODAY, this highly anticipated case should satisfy your customers’ demand for reliable, rugged smartphone protection. Following shortly after the Defender Series release, our Commuter Series™ will be available in the next few weeks.

Rock on!

BJ Miller

Last edited by lwrdrchvy2; 07-21-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: add link
Old 07-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwrdrchvy2 View Post
Otterbox Defender Series available as of today. Webpage is updated to allow orders.
http://www.otterbox.com/htc-cases/ht...eries-case-u.s.

Dear Mark,
I hope this letter finds you well and enjoying all the fun that comes with summer. I’ve been busy getting out to see some of you and also taking advantage of the great weather for a little vacation time. As the summer heats up even more I’m excited to let you know the HTC® HD2™ Defender Series™ case is here!
Available TODAY, this highly anticipated case should satisfy your customers’ demand for reliable, rugged smartphone protection. Following shortly after the Defender Series release, our Commuter Series™ will be available in the next few weeks.

Rock on!

BJ Miller

page not found error!
http://www.otterbox.com/htc-cases/ht...d2-cases-u.s./
this one should work.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:32 PM
lwrdrchvy2

Re: Defender Series Otterbox NOW AVAILABLE

The page url must have changed when they updated the site. Thanks providing a new one.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC HD2

CaliCL9 is a n00b

so the defender series come with a phone clip? and is the commuter series slimmer?
Old 07-23-2010, 07:55 PM
lwrdrchvy2

The defender case is the top protection and comes with a holster.The holsters are usually high grade plastic and don't break like the ones carriers sell at stores. It has a plastic shell that snaps to the phone then there is a silicone cover that goes over that for shock absorption and covers the charge port with a flap. The commuter series is a silicone gel that covers the phone and then has a thin plastic piece that goes over it to hold the gel in place and keep it from coming off when dropped. The commuter is thinner overall. Will have mine by tuesday I believe so I can post pics and more details.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC HD2