PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 03:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

bentleysmom is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to bentleysmom
Memory frustration!

So I've been having memory issues for a while. My storage memory has been between 6 and 9 free MB now for too long. Everything I installed, I installed to storage memory. All my pictures and data are on storage memory. Nothing is in main memory but two ringtones. And I didn't have a lot of apps installed either.

I had enough so I decided to uninstall everything from Add/Remove Programs ....... and I got 10MB back ..... so I had 17MB. Ridiculous.

Frustrated to no end, I did a hard reset. I checked my memory, and it already has 56MB used!

Is this the norm out of the box? Or is there something wrong with my phone?

I'm scared to flash to a custom rom, but is that's starting to sound like it's my only option ....

I'm open to suggestions?!?!
As always I appreciate and respect your advice!
Old 02-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

nitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good work
Re: Memory frustration!

There is always some memory used even after hard resetting the phone, but the space usually comes from other programs that store files in the main device memory. I believe the default configuration on the stock ROM for Opera is to store cache files on the main memory, which will eat up space. It is also possible to delete some of the Samsung ringtones to free up some valuable space.
Flashing to a stock ROM would certainly help with storage space - most of them have at least 90MB free from a fresh flash, usually over 100MB - but you would lose some of the creature comforts (most Samsung customizations, the widgets, etc) in exchange for that space, as well as having the latest bleeding edge copy of Windows Mobile 6.5. If you're not keen on messing with your phone, I would stick with the stock ROM (at least update to the new CF03 software if you haven't already) and delete some of that extra fluff if possible. I'd be more specific on deleting things if I could remember, but some of it is on the forums. I believe the ringtones are located in the Windows folder as a bunch of MP3's.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia1

mark elmore is keeping up the good workmark elmore is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (Omnia1: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

i couldnt get my stock ringtones to delete but under my device,and documents I got rid of a bunch of stuff,programs even more. pix,texts,emails and what not store on there.contacts pix make a file on mydevice. I am running the stock rom with spb mobile shell(adds 7mb)spb keyboard(adds 5mb) and iconsoft(adds 4mb) and usually have about 30mb free on storage. i got rid of vzwappzone,vznav and other apps that came with the phone but I dont use. that cleared more than I added back with spb and iconsoft. I think appzone was 10 mb by itself but dont remember, just was told on ppcgeeks get rid of it.
your browser cache,history and cookies also add to it. ive got my Opera cache maxed out. it adds as much as 9mb before I clear it.
make sure all your documents are saving to storage and not device. they save to device by default
Old 02-04-2010, 10:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Threadstarter

bentleysmom is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to bentleysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark elmore View Post
Wirelessly posted (Omnia1: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

i couldnt get my stock ringtones to delete but under my device,and documents I got rid of a bunch of stuff,programs even more. pix,texts,emails and what not store on there.contacts pix make a file on mydevice. I am running the stock rom with spb mobile shell(adds 7mb)spb keyboard(adds 5mb) and iconsoft(adds 4mb) and usually have about 30mb free on storage. i got rid of vzwappzone,vznav and other apps that came with the phone but I dont use. that cleared more than I added back with spb and iconsoft. I think appzone was 10 mb by itself but dont remember, just was told on ppcgeeks get rid of it.
your browser cache,history and cookies also add to it. ive got my Opera cache maxed out. it adds as much as 9mb before I clear it.
make sure all your documents are saving to storage and not device. they save to device by default
How did you actually delete the apps, like vzwappzone? I tried to do it just through the windows folder, but it says I don't have access. Can you fill me in on how to do this? Much appreciated, thanks!!

Last edited by bentleysmom; 02-05-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

my device,programs or application data I think. I know I did it without going into windows(nothing wants to delete from there for me) or remove programs shortcut.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:07 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola DROID

brandogg is keeping up the good workbrandogg is keeping up the good work

If you use PIE, your temporary internet files can take up a huge amount of space, thought I think it saves these on the "My Storage" area. Definitely switch to a custom ROM, I use Hartv427's 23081 ROM, it's fast and has about 150MB free space too.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

ok Im confused. you are saying it adds storage memory? I only have 92 mb to start with and you are saying it adds to that?
Old 02-10-2010, 02:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: i910
Carrier: verizon

jcurley is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark elmore View Post

ok Im confused. you are saying it adds storage memory? I only have 92 mb to start with and you are saying it adds to that?
I fought with that for so long. Flash it to a base ROM and install only what you want. You can get ROMS with 170mb free.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

nitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good work

Yes, by removing a lot of unnecessary/unwanted elements included by Verizon and Samsung, you can free up a lot of space. Thing is, you already have that space, but it's occupied by that preloaded junk; a custom ROM will start out without all of it thereby giving you the space to do what you want with it. For example, I've got about 112MB free with a few programs and their data installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen01[1].jpg (7.4 KB, 9 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by nitrous9200; 02-10-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: omni 2 and droid
Carrier: verizon

Dmordarski is just getting started

I too have been experiencing way too much lock up, freezing, memory leaking with the omnia 2, so much so picked up a driod on craigslist... they are trying to make windows mobile into something its not with that touch wiz, and graphical task manager, maybe few more weeks so some cooks can get base roms
Verizon
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia