PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6800
Carrier: verizon

cesaylor is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need your insite

I am new to the SmartPhone world. But fairly computer lit. Have a xv6800 running 6.1. I need a sync program that will allow me to sync the phone data (calendar, tasks, contacts...) with my laptop running Vista basic. I run thunderbird for mail e-mail but could use Windows email for the calendar and contacts, tasks.
The Windows Mobile Device Center software that came with the phone requires that you have outlook 2003 and up on your computer to sync up. I don't have it, don't want to buy it, and don't need it (except to sync). I don't care what apps I run between the laptop and the phone as long as I can sync them for my business info.

Thanks
Carl
Old 02-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC® Touch Pro™ 2 /// HTC® Evo™ 4G
Carrier: Sprint®

austintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuff
Cool Re: Need your insite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesaylor View Post
I am new to the SmartPhone world. But fairly computer lit. Have a xv6800 running 6.1. I need a sync program that will allow me to sync the phone data (calendar, tasks, contacts...) with my laptop running Vista basic. I run thunderbird for mail e-mail but could use Windows email for the calendar and contacts, tasks.
The Windows Mobile Device Center software that came with the phone requires that you have outlook 2003 and up on your computer to sync up. I don't have it, don't want to buy it, and don't need it (except to sync). I don't care what apps I run between the laptop and the phone as long as I can sync them for my business info.

Thanks
Carl
Hi Carl,

Okay, so I did some research for you and found a number of different solutions for you based on what you want in your first post.

1.) Program called FinchSync

FinchSync

Unlike BirdieSync, FinchSync is freeware. It's also Java-based, making it platform independent. You should be able to run it on Windows, Mac, or Linux machines. But it also take a lot more work to set up, and there's no guarantee everything will work properly once you do.

There are two parts to FinchSync, a PC-based Server, and a PDA-based Client. First, let's set up the server.

Since FinchSync is based on Java, all you need to do is download finchsync.jar and save it in the directory of your choice. Double click on it, and you should get this window.

You may get an error message when you first open FinchSync, but that's because it's default port is set to 80. Let's change that, by clicking on File, and then Server Configuration. Pick a number, any number between 0 and 65535 (but if you wan one that's not currently in use, you might want to try one between 8080 and 8087). Restart FinchSync and the error message should be gone. If it's not, try another number.

Next, click on the Sync Sources tab to configure FinchSync to synchronize your Thunderbird contacts, appointments, and tasks.
  • Click on the Add button.
  • Enter a name (calendar, personal contacts, whatever you like) and click next.
  • If you know where Thunderbird stores your calendar and addressbook files, click Browse to find them, otherwise click Scan Disk. On Windows and Mac systems, the scan should take less than a minute to complete, but there are some reports that it takes much longer on Linux machines.

• Select the source you'd like to use, click next for configuration options, or finish if you want to accept the default configuration.
Now let's add a client. Back at the main menu, click the Clients tab.
  • Click Add to create a new client.
  • Enter a name.
  • Enter a password that is at least 6 characters.
  • You can enter a description if you like.

And that's it for the PC side. Time to install the PDA client.
  • Download the installer file.
  • Copy it to your Windows Mobile device.
  • Click on it and it will install to your device's main memory.

Now let's configure it to work with your desktop.
  • Browse to the Programs menu on your mobile device, and select FinchSync
  • Click the Config button.
  • Select Server.
  • Click the Add button.

• Enter a name for your server.
  • Enter your host IP address.
  • Enter the port that you configured FinchSync to open.
  • Enter the client username and password that you've already chosen on the PC server.
  • Click OK.
You're all set. Now comes the moment of truth. From the main screen, select your server, and then press Sync it! First your Windows Mobile device will scan its own internal database, then it will compare that data to the files on your computer, and a few moments later you should be syncing.

I say should be, because about five minutes later, my PDA gave me an error message telling me that I need a newer version of Microsoft's .NET Compact Framework. I upgraded my .NET Compact Framework, and got the same error message the second time I tried syncing.
"Observation of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement on Supraquantum Structures By Induction through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal of Extremely Long Wavelength (ELW) Pulse from Mode-Locked Source Array." - from Half Life 1
Old 02-12-2010, 12:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 5
Carrier: Sprint SERO-Premium

ETphoneHOME is becoming a great contributor
Re: Need your insite

Use Microsoft Myphone and call it a day.
http://myphone.microsoft.com/mkweb/S...r=go2831150734

On Mogul.^^^

On Touch Pro.^^^ = (

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan