PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 12:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

itony is becoming a PPCGeeks regularitony is becoming a PPCGeeks regularitony is becoming a PPCGeeks regularitony is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey everyone

Hey intrepid users
I'm really excited because my contract is almost up and have decided that tp2 is too much and it is gonna either be the intrepid or treo pro

This forum looks really great and helpful and I am sure people like haus will be able to help out with a lot of things and it makes me exicted but worried at the same time. This phone seems like for every good thing it has, it has a bug/glitch.

I see stuff like the signal light bug(not sure exactly what that is) and now this new thread about a couple people having problems with sms texting....I hope that it is just a few people

I guess my question is then what are all the things I should be prepared for if I should get this(intrepid but if you know about the pro that too please) in terms of bad stuff. The more specific the better please.

Thanks and hope to be a helpful part of the community

oh and if this is in the wrong part of the forum please direct me
Old 02-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Re: Hey everyone

i think you meant to go to the intro section. no problem, i'll start you off...welcome to the show!
Old 02-02-2010, 01:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

itony is becoming a PPCGeeks regularitony is becoming a PPCGeeks regularitony is becoming a PPCGeeks regularitony is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

oh sorry about that I didn't know if I could get specifics if I did that
Old 02-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G
Carrier: Sprint

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

Welcome...yes, this phone has some bugs. The message light bug is the following: there is an LED indicator at the top of the phone. As with most WinMo phones, you can set it to blink when you receive an email, voicemail, text message, etc. It blinks pink, though I suppose Samsung would call it purple. At any rate, the problem with the Intrepid is typically the moment the phone goes into low power suspend mode, the light stops blinking (or anywhere from 3 to 30 seconds after suspend). So the message indicator is useless, and you have to actually turn on the phone to see if you have any notifications.

Then to top it off the new WM6.5 lock notification screen is broken on the Intrepid - it will show VM/email, etc. but that indicator will disappear within a second or so, which it is not supposed to do. On HTC lock screens you can tap the lock icon to bring up a sub-menu and slide the submenu items to go directly to that item (like call voicemail or open the SMS messaging account).
Old 02-02-2010, 03:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond

SComp23 is keeping up the good workSComp23 is keeping up the good work

Intrepid > Treo Pro
Old 02-02-2010, 04:19 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue

goducks is just getting started

the gummy little keyboard is enough to keep me away from a Treo Pro. Most of the software problems with the Intrepid can be solved. My main issues with the hardware is that they slightly recessed the 3.5mm jack so not every plug will fit in it. I had to get a new cable to connect it to my car stereo.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: samsung intrepid

nat1 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by itony View Post
I see stuff like the signal light bug(not sure exactly what that is) and now this new thread about a couple people having problems with sms texting....I hope that it is just a few people
if you switch between roaming and regular sprint a lot then you might have problems..
Old 02-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus View Post
Welcome...yes, this phone has some bugs. The message light bug is the following: there is an LED indicator at the top of the phone. As with most WinMo phones, you can set it to blink when you receive an email, voicemail, text message, etc. It blinks pink, though I suppose Samsung would call it purple. At any rate, the problem with the Intrepid is typically the moment the phone goes into low power suspend mode, the light stops blinking (or anywhere from 3 to 30 seconds after suspend). So the message indicator is useless, and you have to actually turn on the phone to see if you have any notifications.

Then to top it off the new WM6.5 lock notification screen is broken on the Intrepid - it will show VM/email, etc. but that indicator will disappear within a second or so, which it is not supposed to do. On HTC lock screens you can tap the lock icon to bring up a sub-menu and slide the submenu items to go directly to that item (like call voicemail or open the SMS messaging account).
ok thanks doesn't seem like the light signal bug is too bad. I personally charge my phone like every other day anyway. But by turn on the phone, you do mean just like push a side button to turn the backlight on right? Or did I misunderstand you and the phone goes into a "sleep"/hibernate mode when the battery is too low?

And for the second bug, I believe I saw a fix for that in your guide anyway correct?
Old 02-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

By "turn on" I meant wake the phone from the low-power state (screen off). The message LED would be nice so that you could glance at the phone to see if you had any messages without needing to turn it on.

No fix for the second issue. All I was able to do (with info I found elsewhere of course) was move the slider around a bit. I cannot fix the issue that your lock screen notifications disappear the moment you turn the phone back on.

Intrepid isn't a bad phone, I suppose I'd give it 2.5, maybe 3 stars out of 5 because of all the bugs. If there were no bugs I might go to 3.5 out of 5 on account of the dismally small QVGA screen (I came from a Touch Pro), the fact that the up/down buttons on the d-pad are hard to press, the start/OK buttons have no backlight, and I find the keys actually hard to use (my fingers are too big and I often press more than one key when trying to type). On the plus side it's thin, has good battery life, and generally functions for the most part as one would expect from a really old WM6.5 build.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SComp23 View Post
Intrepid > Treo Pro
umm thanks for the help? I'm curious to what the pro subforum will say if I should post the same topic about that phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus View Post
No fix for the second issue. All I was able to do (with info I found elsewhere of course) was move the slider around a bit. I cannot fix the issue that your lock screen notifications disappear the moment you turn the phone back on.

Intrepid isn't a bad phone, I suppose I'd give it 2.5, maybe 3 stars out of 5 because of all the bugs. If there were no bugs I might go to 3.5 out of 5 on account of the dismally small QVGA screen (I came from a Touch Pro), the fact that the up/down buttons on the d-pad are hard to press, the start/OK buttons have no backlight, and I find the keys actually hard to use (my fingers are too big and I often press more than one key when trying to type). On the plus side it's thin, has good battery life, and generally functions for the most part as one would expect from a really old WM6.5 build.
so what you're saying is that it isn't too bad of a problem it just disappears and forces you to tediously go through the menu every time to get to your text/email right? hmm I guess that's pretty annoying but you could live with that

2.5/5 oh boy that makes things harder
if only the tp2 would go down in price *sigh
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid