PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

Metalloud is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Red face Omnia volume use when keylock engaged

Hello fellow early adopters - how 'bout that new price at Verizon - $25!!

Anyway, I upgraded to the latest official roms recently and while I sorta like the new circular volume control, I miss that I cannot adjust the volume when the keylock is on. I know that in 6.0 this was possible and it was great to just grab the phone and mute it. Now I have to unlock it before muting it.

I've tried searching here and other locations, but I've failed at finding this discussed in a way that addresses this particular frustration.

I suspect that I might be missing a setting somewhere that allows volume to be adjusted when keylock is on, but I just don't seem to be able to find it.

I've read that alt keylockers might be able to help, but philosophically I tend to stick with the official OS as much as possible to stay on a predictable upgrade path.

Of course staying on a predictable upgrade path is also likely a moot point since the phone is now obsolete.

But if anyone can help with this volume dealie, I'd sure be a bit happier.

Thanks all - this is a great forum for Omnia owners.

-james
Old 01-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

nitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good work
Re: Omnia volume use when keylock engaged

If you're saying the volume control worked before the full screen volume control update, you can pull it out of the startup sequence and use the built in volume slider (which was the behavior in the original ROM).
Open up your File Explorer, browse to My Device > Windows > StartUp. and look for something named "LargeDisplay". Long press on it, press Cut and go to any other folder (like My Storage) and then paste it there. Then reset the phone and it will not come up anymore unless you move the shortcut back.

ps - instead of staying with the stock software, you may want to poke your head into the world of ROM flashing (Omnia Upgrades section of this forum). These roms have the latest bleeding edge builds of Windows Mobile 6.5 (even newer than the current 6.5 phones on the market) and have other benefits - they usually run faster, get better battery life, and are tweaked to be more pleasant to use. we're all happy to help.

Last edited by nitrous9200; 01-20-2010 at 07:05 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

Metalloud is a n00b

Hey, thank you Nitrous.

I am really surprised that it is just the startup application that prevents use with the keylock engaged. How odd, but now it does help me mute the phone in a hurry.

Thanks also for your PS about updating the ROM. It sure is tempting, but I just don't have the time I would like to manage non-official aspects of the phone. I love the applications I have, but I am very wary of diverging from standard upgrade path.

At this point new hardware is also a consideration. The omnia 910 is so awesome in almost every regard except for the non-standard usb connection and no standard headphone jack - both corrected on the Omnia II and other platforms.

Thanks so much for your reply - it's solved an issue that was important to my ability to carry the phone during work.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:13 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

nitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good work

Glad to help, and I totally understand about sticking with the official software. The stock software works fine and if you're happy with it and don't have tons of time like I sometimes do, there's no need to go hacking the phone to bits.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia

Tags
keylock, volume, wm6.1