PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

petermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpetermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpetermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb Gps weirdness!!

Ok, I think some of you are familiar with my saga to get GPS working on the Vogue. Finally got it working. So what's the problem?

Problem is that I'm not seeing it respond to setting changes and that makes me wonder what is really controlling the GPS.

What do I mean?

I went into QPST and on the GPSONE tab, turn off every GPS feature. Set Position Calculation to PDE and PDE Transport to DBM. Everything else is blank. I went into the registry and disabled agps. I even deleted the xtra.bin file that QuickGPS uses to speed up position calculation. The device will get a lock in the living room within 30 seconds from a cold start. Weird.

When I turn off the location settings in the phone however, it went for about 5 mins and saw one satellite for a split second and that was it. So basically it was off, or at least maybe truly GPS standalone as it had no view of the sky from the living room, all windows closed and blinds shut.

What? I got it working so what got me fired up again? This is what, a friend of mine on another CDMA carrier (Sprint) hated his Vogue, poor guy was running WM 6.1 still. I hooked him up with NFSFANs final WM 6.5 ROM. Guess what, his Vogue gets locks within 5 seconds in a room where my wife's Vogue can't get a lock at all. I read somewhere on here (can't find it) where someone had three Vogue's, all with the same settings, and some got locks in under 10 seconds while the others took a while to get them, and he was speculating that maybe there were different GPS Chips put into some at a different production time? Dunno. But there are posts on here that people swear that the QPST GPSONE settings help with GPS, and I would tend to agree, but with at least my wife's Vogue, that doesn't seem to be the case, or maybe there is a lot of misinformation about those settings and what they do and I just don't understand.

Anyhow just thought I'd see if anyone else has noticed this or wants to see if they get different results by changing their GSPONE settings in QPST. Remember to backup your settings first [WRITE TO FILE] that way you can just load the file and write it back to your phone if you forget the settings. Seemed very curious to me.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Hero (Flashed to cricket)
Carrier: cricKet

whitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Gps weirdness!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermg View Post
Ok, I think some of you are familiar with my saga to get GPS working on the Vogue. Finally got it working. So what's the problem?

Problem is that I'm not seeing it respond to setting changes and that makes me wonder what is really controlling the GPS.

What do I mean?

I went into QPST and on the GPSONE tab, turn off every GPS feature. Set Position Calculation to PDE and PDE Transport to DBM. Everything else is blank. I went into the registry and disabled agps. I even deleted the xtra.bin file that QuickGPS uses to speed up position calculation. The device will get a lock in the living room within 30 seconds from a cold start. Weird.

When I turn off the location settings in the phone however, it went for about 5 mins and saw one satellite for a split second and that was it. So basically it was off, or at least maybe truly GPS standalone as it had no view of the sky from the living room, all windows closed and blinds shut.

What? I got it working so what got me fired up again? This is what, a friend of mine on another CDMA carrier (Sprint) hated his Vogue, poor guy was running WM 6.1 still. I hooked him up with NFSFANs final WM 6.5 ROM. Guess what, his Vogue gets locks within 5 seconds in a room where my wife's Vogue can't get a lock at all. I read somewhere on here (can't find it) where someone had three Vogue's, all with the same settings, and some got locks in under 10 seconds while the others took a while to get them, and he was speculating that maybe there were different GPS Chips put into some at a different production time? Dunno. But there are posts on here that people swear that the QPST GPSONE settings help with GPS, and I would tend to agree, but with at least my wife's Vogue, that doesn't seem to be the case, or maybe there is a lot of misinformation about those settings and what they do and I just don't understand.

Anyhow just thought I'd see if anyone else has noticed this or wants to see if they get different results by changing their GSPONE settings in QPST. Remember to backup your settings first [WRITE TO FILE] that way you can just load the file and write it back to your phone if you forget the settings. Seemed very curious to me.
If it's working leave it alone!
No really I could see a run of GPS chips going bad or being different. You know in 1995 Ford Motors used substandard electrical wiring for the factory Radio hence causing fires in thousands of different vehicles "I had one". Manufacturing is not perfect and when you need to meet production sometimes they will go substandard. So back to my point yes it is possible that the GPS chip is bad or substandard. Not likely to be a different chip, possibly a different part number or just a substandard or even old chip. Everything wears out. Even GPS chips.
Also if I change the GPSone setting and registry edits you stated above I get absolutely no GPS functions at all.
Also note I use aGPS and currently get locks within' 1 second of opening google maps or any other GPS program. "In my basement"
But you are correct devices are different from different carriers. I have an alltel Touch and the wifes is a Sprint Touch. Before I super cid' and fully flashed them to cricket they were two different creatures. Now they are Identical.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6700
Carrier: pageplus

spb37 is a n00b

Hi
FWIW, I got my gps in vogue to work by going to the gps settings in advanced configuration tool (google it on xda forum and also update if needed with the accompanying microsoft netcf software) and changing the default size of the gps log (last setting) from 0 to 32kb.

Hope this helps but you probably have already tried something similar with QPST. Good luck.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

petermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpetermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpetermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spb37 View Post
Hi
FWIW, I got my gps in vogue to work by going to the gps settings in advanced configuration tool (google it on xda forum and also update if needed with the accompanying microsoft netcf software) and changing the default size of the gps log (last setting) from 0 to 32kb.

Hope this helps but you probably have already tried something similar with QPST. Good luck.
I will take a look at those settings. Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey10tc View Post
If it's working leave it alone!
LOL!! I know, right? But I guess I'm way too OCD for that! Plus when my friend's got a lock in like 5 seconds I was like "WHAT!? I spent ALL THAT TIME trying to get it working and his works just like THAT!?" LOL. So I got real curious, started reading about PDE and DBM, learned what they stand for, just not what they really do. The fact that you get locks in your basement amazes me and turns me green! My Touch Pro is great at getting locks though, very pleased with that device.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue NFSFAN's 6.5
Carrier: Alltel

slyk221 is a n00b

Well I'm not sure if this is gonna help you but I followed the directions posted in my thread from the wiki "Alltel GPS not aquiring Sat Locks". After The flash dance and aGPS Fix I currently get a lock in less than 5 seconds in my house. I had before done the aGPS fix and it still wouldn't get a lock so after following the whole directions of the flash dance plus aGPS fix it now works flawlessly.

Last edited by slyk221; 01-11-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue