PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia II
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: 3 HK

fujitsupalm is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I had the Omnia I and it was a painful experience

So is this one better? if so how much better?

software lag is one thing, i just dun understand how Samsung could make such a good machine on paper to perform so crappy.

what's with their programmers? im a little sceptical on this version, but the recent price drop is also trying to tell me to give it another try??

worth a try at all?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia 2 I920
Carrier: Verizon

07aspenx is becoming a great contributor
Re: I had the Omnia I and it was a painful experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujitsupalm View Post
So is this one better? if so how much better?

software lag is one thing, i just dun understand how Samsung could make such a good machine on paper to perform so crappy.

what's with their programmers? im a little sceptical on this version, but the recent price drop is also trying to tell me to give it another try??

worth a try at all?
Where do you see a price drop
Old 01-07-2010, 02:14 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

fujitsupalm is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07aspenx View Post
Where do you see a price drop
oh sorry, cos I live in HK, so the prices are a little better over here.

If warranty is not a problem (meaning if I want to risk a machine without warranty) it can cost as low as sth around 500 usd without a contract.

with a contract it's free, but it's an 18 mths contract at $50 usd roughly per month...

which is considered a very expensive plan.

currently I pay for 2 sims myself (not including my company sims) 1 of which i get like 2000 minutes with 100mb of hspa data which i never exceed with my phone. costs around $16 usd

the other i pay around $25 usd for unlimited hdpa internet access which is for my notebook.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II i920
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

thew39mxr is a n00b

I bought the Omnia I within the first week that it came out and I thought it was the greatest phone ever. Over time, I grew frustrated and impatient with it and couldn't wait to swap it for bigger and better. I found that Samsung was coming out with the Omnia II so I stalked their site waiting and waiting for it to be released. I bought the Omnia II on the day it was released (December 2, 2009) and now couldn't be more pleased with this phone!! Personally, I would give it 4.5 stars out of 5.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

fujitsupalm is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by thew39mxr View Post
I bought the Omnia I within the first week that it came out and I thought it was the greatest phone ever. Over time, I grew frustrated and impatient with it and couldn't wait to swap it for bigger and better. I found that Samsung was coming out with the Omnia II so I stalked their site waiting and waiting for it to be released. I bought the Omnia II on the day it was released (December 2, 2009) and now couldn't be more pleased with this phone!! Personally, I would give it 4.5 stars out of 5.
How does it handle it's own version of touchwiz? laggy? i had to disable it for the Omnia I, which was kind of just killed the whole purpose of running a Samsung wm machine, it's very own characteristics had to be removed to make things run a little smoother.

resolution was another issue at the time, not many applications ran back then that suited the screen size.

battery power was a complete drag, so if all those have been resolved, i may find myself digging back to the Omnia again. or else there is always android nowadays.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II i920
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

thew39mxr is a n00b

Quote:
How does it handle it's own version of touchwiz? laggy? i had to disable it for the Omnia I, which was kind of just killed the whole purpose of running a Samsung wm machine, it's very own characteristics had to be removed to make things run a little smoother.

resolution was another issue at the time, not many applications ran back then that suited the screen size.

battery power was a complete drag, so if all those have been resolved, i may find myself digging back to the Omnia again. or else there is always android nowadays.
Touchwiz isn't a bad feature and it never seemed to drag down my O2 that bad. I'm running SPB Mobile Shell now so the touchwiz is unecessary for me, therefore, I have it disabled which also I believe helps out the battery life.

The resolution on the O2 is amazing!! Probably the best resoloution on a phone I have seen right now. With Windows Marketplace and Samsungs own app store now open, there are a lot of apps that are available. Not as many as the Droids currently, however but in my own opinion, half of the apps are garbage anyway and drag the phone down.

The battery lilfe on my O2 isn't too disappointing to me. The bigger and better they make these phones obviously, aren't going to help the battery power much. I typically charge my phone once a day, depending on my usage, and that seems to be good enough for what I do. Samsung, also has an extended battery available for the O2 which I wouldn't mind getting but I'm not sure whether I want the fat battery and cover on my phone.

The Moto Droid, I've heard mixed emotions on. It's fast but too clunky for me and I dislike the slide-out keyboard. Other than that, I can't give much of a review on it.

The HTC Droid Eris, my girl owns. The resoloution is very nice on it as well but it lags a lot as you navigate through the phone. Lately, she has found herself rebooting the phone several times a day because it freezes up on her. She's not happy, to say the least.

I hope this helps out your decision process. Best of luck!!
Old 01-11-2010, 04:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

vrzsuxppcrocks is just getting started

Quote:
oh sorry, cos I live in HK, so the prices are a little better over here.

If warranty is not a problem (meaning if I want to risk a machine without warranty) it can cost as low as sth around 500 usd without a contract.

with a contract it's free, but it's an 18 mths contract at $50 usd roughly per month...

which is considered a very expensive plan.

currently I pay for 2 sims myself (not including my company sims) 1 of which i get like 2000 minutes with 100mb of hspa data which i never exceed with my phone. costs around $16 usd

the other i pay around $25 usd for unlimited hdpa internet access which is for my notebook.

That plan is expensive? why don't we have those plans here in the us? I pay $120 usd per months including 450min/unlimited mins on weekend/unlimited txt/ unlimited data plan/ $7 for insurance/ I think im over paying?

Ps. I got o2 for $300 with 2 yr contract and $100 rebate.

Last edited by vrzsuxppcrocks; 01-11-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia II