PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 08:42 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: AT&T

smurfgod is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to smurfgod Send a message via Yahoo to smurfgod
Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-i900/1.0 Opera 9.5)

im currently internetless except for my phone and am stumped. ive got unlimited data with my omnia and would like to use it to connect my pc to the internet. om running ubuntu netbook remix on an hp mini 311 with the broadband plan but cant get it working either.if someone can help with either one please help.

~SMurf
Old 01-04-2010, 01:48 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

nitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good work
Re: trying to use omnia as internet connection with linux

Two ways I know of to do this, either the Microsoft Internet Sharing or WMWifiRouter. Internet Sharing is not built into the stock software that comes with the Omnia, so you'd have to download it separately - but that requires ActiveSync and IDK if there is a linux workaround.
WMWifiRouter turns the phone into a Wifi hotspot that your laptop and anything else could connect to. That also requires internet sharing to be installed, but you don't need Windows on your laptop since you're not hooking up to the pc. You would either need to flash a cooked ROM (most, if not all, have this built in) or install IS manually; I think there's a thread in here somewhere. Second thing, WMWifiRouter is no longer free, but if you search around you can find an older version that will work.

I use the wifi hotspot method and that works great, though you may want to remove any case you may have on the phone and even take off the battery cover and flip the phone screen down, because it can get very hot using this application!
Old 01-04-2010, 04:20 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: AT&T
Threadstarter

smurfgod is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to smurfgod Send a message via Yahoo to smurfgod

I'm running an Airreak rom from omniarom.com and wmwifirouter is not istalled but I will do some googeling. I got my Wi-Fi working on my netbook so I have that part done, but I do want to get it working on my desktop running Ubuntu 9.10/Win7...IDK...Do I have to buy the tethering package from Verizon or what??

Thanks for the help../

~SMurf
Old 01-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

nitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good work

http://www.mediafire.com/?yywz5qzyyii

There's the version of WMwifirouter I use.
As for your desktop: install Windows Mobile Device Center, plug in the phone and go into the internet sharing app on the phone and press connect. That should do it. As for ubuntu, the first google result I found was this. Don't know if it works as I don't use linux.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:20 PM
N00b
Carrier: VZW

inswva is a n00b

Does the Airreak ROM have Internet Sharing cooked into it? If not, download the Internet Sharing .cab and install it. Run the app, hit Connect, and plug your USB cable into the phone and the laptop. Linux should recognize the connection as a wired connection. I'm typing this message on my Lenovo Thinkpad running Ubuntu 9.10 tethered via USB to my Omnia.

I also use WMWifirouter for wifi tethering as well. I actually purchased it quite a while ago and am now running v1.60 which works great. If you are willing to "upgrade" your ROM there are several ROMs on omniarom that have a free wifi tethering utility cooked in. I'm running Waremike's latest ROM which has it, even though I don't use it since I have WMWifirouter.

Previous WM devices: Apache (XV6700) and Titan (XV6800)
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia