PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2009, 04:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Droid, rooted OC 1.0ghz
Carrier: Verizon

Klauven is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Verizon Vogue to Touch pro

So I recently abandoned my Vogue (xv6900) for a Verizon Touch Pro and I thought I would share my experiences. The reasoning for this was I was looking for a small upgrade, the 640x480 resolution, +128mhz, +64mb and addition of WIFI made this an ideal choice at a small price tag. I picked it up on ebay for $120.

The good:

WIFI- I have an unlimited data plan and live in good 3g coverage so using WIFI didn’t help much with internet browsing, a feature I could survive without. However, the ability to use the WIFI router was kind of a fun feature. I have a laptop without Bluetooth so this gave me the ability to be able to tether without a cable which was nice. Also, its fun sharing your internet connection with a friend with an I-phone when he is in spotty 3g coverage.

640x480 screen: Sense 2.5 and pictures looked great. Sense 2.5 has animated backgrounds which look great.

G-sensor: There were some games that utilized that and were fun

GPS: It actually worked without any crazy flash dancing

Swype: I got the chance to try swype out and it works real well. I really wish there was a version available for the vogue.

Bulk: The phone is significantly bulkier then the vogue, mostly due to the physical keyboard.

Misc: Built in Flash, better camera, flash can be used as a flash light, pretty bright too, the roms have more features built into them.

The Bad:

Internet browsing: Opera 10 wouldn’t run because it used too much memory. I don’t really like Opera 9 but it worked well. Opera Mini was a big disappointment. Opera mini was my favorite browser on the vogue. Opera mini’s user interface didn’t scale with the higher resolution, resulting in microscopic menus and interface that almost unusable. You could zoom the sites so browsing was ok, but if you wanted to enter in a URL or anything, you had to get out the stylus.

Performance: Well, since non-Verizon touch pros and diamonds have 256MB and Verizon models have only 192MB, the Verizon models do not perform well. Many ROMs are plain unusable, others are just slow. Multi-tasking is difficult to do without running out of memory. I would average 30-10MB free RAM. I usually had 40-50MB free on my vogue, which allowed for lots of multi-tasking. Even running just titanium, the touch pro had less memory available then my vogue.

All in all, I am considering putting the new Touch pro back up on ebay and switching back to my vogue. I think I will wait till I can find something with a larger screen and full 256MB on ebay for less than $200.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:41 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Re: Verizon Vogue to Touch pro

Thanks for the honest review. Kinda confirmed some of my thoughts about the TP vs Vogue anyway.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauven View Post
So I recently abandoned my Vogue (xv6900) for a Verizon Touch Pro and I thought I would share my experiences. The reasoning for this was I was looking for a small upgrade, the 640x480 resolution, +128mhz, +64mb and addition of WIFI made this an ideal choice at a small price tag. I picked it up on ebay for $120.

The good:

WIFI- I have an unlimited data plan and live in good 3g coverage so using WIFI didn’t help much with internet browsing, a feature I could survive without. However, the ability to use the WIFI router was kind of a fun feature. I have a laptop without Bluetooth so this gave me the ability to be able to tether without a cable which was nice. Also, its fun sharing your internet connection with a friend with an I-phone when he is in spotty 3g coverage.

640x480 screen: Sense 2.5 and pictures looked great. Sense 2.5 has animated backgrounds which look great.

Swype: I got the chance to try swype out and it works real well. I really wish there was a version available for the vogue.

Bulk: The phone is significantly bulkier then the vogue, mostly due to the physical keyboard.

Misc: Built in Flash, better camera, flash can be used as a flash light, pretty bright too, the roms have more features built into them.

The Bad:

Internet browsing: Opera 10 wouldn’t run because it used too much memory. I don’t really like Opera 9 but it worked well. Opera Mini was a big disappointment. Opera mini was my favorite browser on the vogue. Opera mini’s user interface didn’t scale with the higher resolution, resulting in microscopic menus and interface that almost unusable. You could zoom the sites so browsing was ok, but if you wanted to enter in a URL or anything, you had to get out the stylus.

Performance: Well, since non-Verizon touch pros and diamonds have 256MB and Verizon models have only 192MB, the Verizon models do not perform well. Many ROMs are plain unusable, others are just slow. Multi-tasking is difficult to do without running out of memory. I would average 30-10MB free RAM. I usually had 40-50MB free on my vogue, which allowed for lots of multi-tasking. Even running just titanium, the touch pro had less memory available then my vogue.

All in all, I am considering putting the new Touch pro back up on ebay and switching back to my vogue. I think I will wait till I can find something with a larger screen and full 256MB on ebay for less than $200.

I think you're on the right track... Wait to get the TP2 at least. The TP was crippled by Verizon, that's probably why you weren't blown out of the water.
The TP2 will make all the difference.
p.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Droid, rooted OC 1.0ghz
Threadstarter

Klauven is just getting started

I also left out the fact the vogue runs android quite well while the Touch pro only has a crippled version currently.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (XV6900) dual boot Android
Carrier: Money Grabbin' Verizon

inertone knows their stuffinertone knows their stuffinertone knows their stuffinertone knows their stuffinertone knows their stuffinertone knows their stuffinertone knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to inertone

Honestly i haven't found a single good trade up on my vogue
i guess i really am going to have to get buried with my vogue
Old 12-29-2009, 01:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC xv6900

ss0mohit is becoming a great contributor

Quote:

The good:

The Bad:

if you decide to put the touch pro back on ebay, try the omnia or the omnia 2. my uncle has it and its nice. (its my next phone too, but imma stick with my vogue).
its got wifi and i think the same amount of ram and 8 gigs built in, not sure about the external sd card slot.
-boy scout motto.
so please make my day.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

petermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpetermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpetermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Exclamation Re: Verizon Vogue to Touch pro

Quote:

Here is a QVGA version of Swype (along with other resolutions as well) that works on the Vogue, my wife has the Vogue and she LOVES using Swype. Also showed it to a friend who has a Vogue also and he LOVES using it too

http://www.4shared.com/file/17083605...wype_QVGA.html

I found that link from here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=604949

Last edited by petermg; 12-31-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue