PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

manekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Patch that enables home button support in XDAndroid

Update:
For now at least, the best patch to use to enable home button support is the one made by F22 on XDA that maps End to Home.
For more info see this post:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...60#post2007660

Old Info:

This is an alternative kernel and rootfs branch from the 11/3 kernel and rootfs that enables the power button to register in Android as the home button.

Using the stock version, even if the end button is mapped to act as home in the Spare Parts program, it will still not work for long press (which in Android brings up a recently used program list for multitasking convenience) and for programs that use the home button to do stuff (such as alternative launchers like Launcher Pro and ADWLauncher).

It is intended that whenever significant progress is made to the kernel/rootfs, that an updated version of this patch will be released.

Last update: 11/9 Available attached to this post
Changes:
Fixed wifi

Instructions for installing:
The patch includes 3 files.
Rename zImage-XYZ to simply 'zImage' and copy it over your old zImage in andboot.
Rename rootfs-XYZ to just 'rootfs.img' and copy it to your andboot folder over your old rootfs.img.
Copy modules-XYZ as is to your andboot folder, and you can delete your old modules file that was already there. Do not rename this file!

Last edited by manekineko; 12-06-2010 at 12:34 AM.
This post has been thanked 6 times.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:54 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZW Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: What modifications are necessary to create a fork that re-enables the home button

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekineko View Post
I was wondering if any kindly dev could share some advice on what modifications would be necessary in order to create a fork that re-enables the home button as the top button?

I'm (one of the few?) that is using Android on my TP2 full-time as my primary phone, and I really find myself missing the ability to multi-task using the home button, as well as to see home screen previews in ADW launcher.

If it's feasible only to make changes to the infrequently modified zImage file, such that it's not something I have to deal with often, I'm mulling over forking and maintaining a version that works the original way that maximizes functionality.
Unfortunately, zImage is the one that is most updated. I think you meant rootfs which only handles injecting the keyboard drivers. I am fairly certain the rest of the control is still handled on the kernel side of things.

As far as I can tell, it looks like it was just this commit that changed it: Commit in linux-msm in Linux on Qualcomm's MSM - Gitorious

You could try cloning the linux-msm git, revert those changes, and compile your own zImage. You can follow my guide to build your environment (just note you only need to clone prebuilt and linux-msm): http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/tp2-androi...beginners.html

Once you have got to the point where you cloned it and everything is downloaded, use this command:
Code:
git revert --no-commit 6c41ca69
Whenever you want to update, just use git-pull. If you see that msm-gpio-keys.c gets updated during git-pull, you may need to check and see what has changed since you are no longer up-to-date on that file.

Last edited by natemcnutty; 11-02-2010 at 08:13 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:07 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

manekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuff
Re: What modifications are necessary to create a fork that re-enables the home button

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
Unfortunately, zImage is the one that is most updated. I think you meant rootfs which only handles injecting the keyboard drivers. I am fairly certain the rest of the control is still handled on the kernel side of things.

As far as I can tell, it looks like it was just this commit that changed it: Commit in linux-msm in Linux on Qualcomm's MSM - Gitorious

You could try cloning the linux-msm git, revert those changes, and compile your own zImage. You can follow my guide to build your environment (just note you only need to clone prebuilt and linux-msm): http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/tp2-androi...beginners.html

Once you have got to the point where you cloned it and everything is downloaded, use this command:
Code:
git-revert --no-commit 72dd73e
Whenever you want to update, just use git-pull. If you see that msm-gpio-keys.c gets updated during git-pull, you may need to check and see what has changed since you are no longer up-to-date on that file.
You're right, I did mistype and meant the rootfs. I don't think I'm really up to keeping a kernel branch up to date.

Around when they changed the kernel, Stine also made this commit to rootfs:
commit 0ede780
Author: Bryan Stine
Date: Wed Oct 20 17:24:35 2010 -0400
Update rhod keymaps for new power button scancode

Is it possible to do something in keymaps to alter the effect of the power button scancode?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:11 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZW Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekineko View Post
You're right, I did mistype and meant the rootfs. I don't think I'm really up to keeping a kernel branch up to date.

Around when they changed the kernel, Stine also made this commit to rootfs:
commit 0ede780
Author: Bryan Stine
Date: Wed Oct 20 17:24:35 2010 -0400
Update rhod keymaps for new power button scancode

Is it possible to do something in keymaps to alter the effect of the power button scancode?
I'd have to test and see if the rootfs change is also required, but I do know that reverting the kernel change is required. Using an older rootfs will not fix the kernel change.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

I'm thinking about taking this up with Mr. Stine. It's kinda wacky since our physical buttons wouldn't match, but in Android I think this makes the most sense...

End Call Button = HOME - including long press for HOME
Power Button = END CALL then POWER

Everything else can be left the same. Mute Button = SEARCH would be cool too, but only until we get the speakerphone sorted out

Unfortunately there is no one good solution that's going to make everybody happy - because the phone was designed for WinMo, and not all RHODs have the same keys. AT&T RHODs have a PTT key, and evidently not all RHODs have the mute button... So whatever we end up doing, someone will dislike it. However, it seems more logical to use what native Android devices use in Android, rather than what we're used to in WinMo. It'll all be a lot easier/clearer methinks when we reach the Vogue level - and the development is at a point where haret is no more
Old 11-01-2010, 09:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Verizon

butler360 is keeping up the good workbutler360 is keeping up the good workbutler360 is keeping up the good work

Hope this gets going!

--WARNING, MY OPINION FOLLOWS, FLAME SHIELD ACTIVATED--

Honestly, if a user is capable enough to unlock their TP2, flash a custom ROM, and install and configure Android, aren't they smart enough to figure out the mapping of the home and power buttons?

--FLAME SHIELD DEACTIVATED--
Old 11-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by butler360 View Post
Honestly, if a user is capable enough to unlock their TP2, flash a custom ROM, and install and configure Android, aren't they smart enough to figure out the mapping of the home and power buttons?
Do you mean like having a userland option to flip between button maps? Cuz that's never going to happen.

I know you put it around your flame shield, I'm not trying to flame. It's just that I didn't get what you mean - because changing the button mapping by hand isn't so straightforward as you can see. In addition, adding a userland option is going to require changing the Android base, which isn't going to happen.

Again, not meant to flame you in any way.

I really do wish there was a 'best' option here. But all the options suck - because either the buttons match and we lose functionality, or they don't match whatsoever and have all the functionality back...

So I'm still holding out & hoping for the zoombar to be used. Then we'd have a few more buttons at our disposal.

Last edited by arrrghhh; 11-01-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Verizon

butler360 is keeping up the good workbutler360 is keeping up the good workbutler360 is keeping up the good work

Haha, no, I don't see any flaming going on in your message.

What I mean is having the buttons the way they were before as the default. The way in which we get the recent programs list. And my point is that given how far a user has to go to even get into Android in the first place, having two buttons be a little different in Android shouldn't be that confusing/hard to figure out for them.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Oh trust me, I feel your pain. But unfortunately they have err'd on the side of user-friendliness over functionality. Which is where most things have to err nowadays, unless you're Cisco
Old 11-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2

josidhe is a n00b

I would argue they aren't even erring on the side of user-friendliness, since so many users are so opposed to the loss of functionality, which is only justified by a handful of people who think the feature is pointless.

This is a loss of functionality as well as a reduction in user-friendliness. The simple fact is that Rhodium phones have redundant buttons. Recasting one of them confuses nobody.

Heck, arguments could be made that power and recent programs go hand in hand. Just look at desktop PCs and Ctrl-Alt-Delete. A well-established key combo that was originally a soft reset, but evolved in some instances to provide access to the Task Manager. If desktop Windows already established, natively, a connection between running programs and power control, then this very loose argument of mine can do the same, and you can classify the backlight key as Home.
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2