PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Android Tablets (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=302)
-   -   Voice on Galaxy Tab (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=137755)

cellboothmgr 11-30-2010 10:30 PM

Voice on Galaxy Tab

I have a Sprint tab and got voice calling working on it. NetTalk is the name of the app and its in the market and best of all, its free. you have to sign up for it which i did over my phone. the quality is ok but i havent really made any calls longer than to see if it works. it shows up on caller ID as unknown or private id. i havent messed with it enough to figure out how to make a call to my tab. it has all my contacts in it just like it would on an android phone. the program is in beta from what ive read so i dont know when/if they will start charging for it.

youngblack 11-30-2010 11:26 PM

I'm in the same boat as you're in....let me know if you find out of any changes. Good Luck.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk while your mom was putting her clothes on.

highwayman1224 12-01-2010 12:42 PM

Re: Voice on Galaxy Tab

So what will Sprint do if they know you're making calls from the tab? Will they charge us for it some how, or can they even tell you're doing it? Just something I've been wondering about reading various threads regarding making calls on these tabs.

thomlanphear 12-01-2010 03:08 PM

My Sprint Tab has a phone number assigned to it, Could Nettalk use that number?

yankees45us 12-01-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highwayman1224 (Post 2005302)
So what will Sprint do if they know you're making calls from the tab? Will they charge us for it some how, or can they even tell you're doing it? Just something I've been wondering about reading various threads regarding making calls on these tabs.

To make these calls your are using data. Data is already paid for and is completely seperate from voice minutes. So to answer your question: no, sprint cannot charge you for any calls you make on the tab.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Full Body Protection for your smartphone.
Get 1 Free!
http://stealthguards.com/idevaffilia...ate.php?id=417

arsmithsr 12-03-2010 12:38 PM

he's right this is the same as using fring or google voice. basically voip.

youngblack 12-04-2010 11:32 PM

Me: wow that's a big ass cell phone

You: its a tab...

Me: it look like an ipad

You: its a samsung!

Me: seriously r u gonna carry it with u while you're holding it against your ear?

You: so?

Me: That's just hideous.

You: are u insulting me...?

Me: no I mean it... it look like a big fat walkie talkie gone to ipod... kind of retro if you want to look at it like that

You: f*** you!

Me: dude I'm just saying...

OR78 12-11-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomlanphear (Post 2005410)
My Sprint Tab has a phone number assigned to it, Could Nettalk use that number?

The number is generated just as a DSL line would be. It cannot send or recieve calls through this number though.

oldpueblo 12-12-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngblack (Post 2007532)
Me: wow that's a big ass cell phone

You: its a tab...

Me: it look like an ipad

You: its a samsung!

Me: seriously r u gonna carry it with u while you're holding it against your ear?

You: so?

Me: That's just hideous.

You: are u insulting me...?

Me: no I mean it... it look like a big fat walkie talkie gone to ipod... kind of retro if you want to look at it like that

You: f*** you!

Me: dude I'm just saying...

I know you're joking, but the truth is I'd use it as my main phone in a heartbeat if I could. I'm 99% of the time on a bluetooth headset anyway. I'm tempted to try the above, but I have no idea how much data usage that would be to stream voice.

youngblack 12-12-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpueblo (Post 2012410)
I know you're joking, but the truth is I'd use it as my main phone in a heartbeat if I could. I'm 99% of the time on a bluetooth headset anyway. I'm tempted to try the above, but I have no idea how much data usage that would be to stream voice.

It could be somewhere between 40-60 kbps but the latency is your enemy when its done over 3G.