View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 11:34 PM
Drybonz
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Drybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: 4-13-09 Bear-Bonz Rom Ghetto Beta 1-0 [Rhodium 6.1 21028]

FAQ is a work in progress... This is mostly just stuff I made up that I think people might ask frequently.

Q: Why did you call this rom bare-bonz? There is all kinds of stuff on here?!?
A: Not "bare"-bonz... "bear"-bonz. It's just a combination of 2 nicknames. It was the first thing I came up with.

Q: Isn't this the rom where you used to have to install the clock manually?
A: Lol... yeah that was me. Sorry about that. It's fixed now, though, so that it happens automatically during customization.

Q: Well, that's good, but now I have this white square on my screen after TouchFlo launches the first time!!! What do I do?!?! I'm freaking out!!!
A: Dude... wait like 10 seconds... it will go away.

Q: OMGZZZ!!! My clock is off by an hour all the time!?!? How do I fix it???
A: This is a bug that all Rhodium manila users must deal with for the time being... here is a great explanation, thanks to intx, on how to fix it. This is the method that I, personally, use. I do this right after flashing, and before I restore my PIM.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=69

Q: This says Sprint specific? Will it work with my carrier?
A: Maybe... you are welcome to try, but I can't say what kind of results you will get and I don't plan to support questions, etc... from non-Sprint users. There has been reports from Telus users that they have had success with the rom.

Q: Can you make a generic carrier rom?
A: I have no plans to do this at any point... sorry.

Q: This rom sucks, man...
A: That's not really a question, but you do have some options...
1) Wait for me to improve it.
2) Patch it up yourself with cabs and reg edits, etc...
3) Download a different premade rom... there's no shortage of them, and most of them are probably better than mine.
4) BEST OPTION - Read the how-to kitchens tutorial, download a kitchen (I use Calkulin's) and cook your own rom.

Q: OMGZZZ!!! This rom is amazing!!! How can I donate to you?
A: Lol... well thanks, but I am not going to take any donations.
***I am temporarily changing this policy because I am saving up for a Touch Pro 2. Donations can be made in the first post. Once I have my new device, I will stop taking donations again.***

Q: Well, what am I going to do with all this money?
A: Give it to Calkulin. He did most of the work involved... or give money to help save these turtles... http://thaiturtles.org/ Aren't they cool? And they are endangered!

Q: So are you gonna keep developing this rom?
A: We'll see how it goes. I'm just doing it for fun, so as long as it's fun for me I probably will. I have more customizations that I install via Sashimi after flashing, and I plan to integrate those so that everyone can have them. I will probably try to keep apps updated, etc...

Q: What is SSMAHO?
A: It's a cool little app that let's you remap your touchflo buttons (like call history, etc...) to open 3rd party apps. It used to be called SSMAPA.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=493810

Q: What is Kinoma?
A: It is a media player with lots of nice features like Orb integration and a very nice YouTube player (better than the YouTube you are used to). The version on this rom is Kinoma Freeplay, which is an unlimited trial version, with most of the features of the full paid version.
http://kinoma.com/#1

Q: What the heck is Orb?
A: It allows you to stream movies and music files that reside on your home computer onto your phone! It's free!
https://mycast.orb.com/orb/html/login.html

Q: Should I buy Kinoma?
A: Probably not, but it's up to you. The free version is really nice and even though it's a nice app their customer service is really awful.

Q: What is Lumos?
A: It's a backlight manager that works a lot better than the default HTC one. It will save you some battery and the lighting changes are very nice and subtle.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=450318

Q: Hey! What happened to Lumos? It's not on the rom any more!
A: There were some compatibility issues, so it was replaced by another backlight manager called G-Light, made by the same guy as G-Alarm. It works great and I have preconfigured it for you so you don't even have to mess with it unless you want to.

Q: OMGZ!!! When I soft reset the word Glight runner is in my taskbar!!! How do I fix it?!?!?
A: That is G-Light, the backlight manager program I mentioned, starting up. It will go away as soon as you change tabs, screens, or hit X.

Q: What is Sashimi? I don't see it on this rom?!?!?
A: It's not, but you can get it here...
http://www.winmo-experts.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4
Along with some really nice documentation (hint, hint). Basically, it is an app that will let you auto-install cabs and all other sorts of things after flashing so that you can flash 5 or 6 times a day really quickly. :P

Q: Hey! Where is PIM Backup? How the heck am I supposed to restore my contacts?!?
A: I use SPB Backup, which is a paid software and I cannot include in this public rom. You can get PIM Backup here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=299705

Q: Hey, there is no voice command on this rom!!! Can I get a cab?
A: Search the forum.

Q: You started using a new dialer in version 3.0 and now I hate your rom. Why are you such a jerk???
A: This is the default WM dialer. I skinned it and made it the default dialer so we could have full access to the lockscreen and WM Slide2Answer functions of WM 6.5. The HTC dialer is still there and you can revert back to it using the "enable phone skin" option in Advance Config.

Q: That's great! I love that old dialer and hate new stuff!!! But now that I went back to the HTC dialer if I use bluetooth there are two bluetooth icons!!!! What do I do?!?!?! I'm freaking out!!!!
A: In your Windows>StartUp folder, delete the BTIconNotifier shortcut. If you want to go back to the WM dialer at any point, to get the bluetooth icon back, go to your systems tools folder in the startup menu and run BT Icon Restore.

Q: I'm using the HTC dialer and now everything is all screwed up when I get an incoming call! What gives?!?!?!
A: The WM 6.5 Slide2Answer feature does not work with the HTC dialer. That's why I went through a lot of trouble to get the WM dialer working. You can disable the autolock feature I have set up using the CSDevCtrl settings in your system tools folder in the start menu. If you aren't using the WM 6.5 lockscreen, this will disable the WM Slide2Answer and then your HTC Slide2Answer will work just fine.

Q: Will you add this app/customization?
A: Probably not, unless I really like it. The rom I am sharing with you guys is the same rom I use for myself, and I really don't want to make 2 different ones. I hope you like it, but I want to like it too.

Q: Do you have a cab for every single obscure customization every invented?
A: Actually, no... I sure don't. But luckily we are registered members of a website that is just chock full of them... so search it up.

Q: Will you search for this cab for me and then post it in your rom thread so that I don't have to do anything?
A: Lol... what? No. Wait... were you being serious?

Q: I don't like this keyboard... can you use a different one?
A: No, sorry... but here is a great place to get all kinds of keyboards... use any one you want!
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...light=keyboard
Please do not ask questions about other keyboards in this thread though. Thanks!

Q: I like the keyboard that's included in this rom, but I don't like the colors... can I change them?
A: Sure! Watzone69 and Reef48, along with some others (Giannis86), have put in a lot of work so that you can skin this keyboard... check this out!
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=63777

Q: What's this Scroll Config icon for in my programs?
A: This is a tiny app that let's you configure the scrolling distance in Windows Mobile. To change the default settings open the app, then go to the menu, select restore and load restore, then save and soft reset. If you don't like the new scrolling there is a setting in the menu to restore the defaults. It basically scrolls one screen at a time instead of scrolling on forever. (This was in the WM 6.1 roms only)

Q: Hey, why don't you have a facebook tab in the Rhodium contacts?
A: I have included the official facebook app which has more functionality than that tab.

Q: Yeah, but I already know how that tab works... Are you gonna add it?
A: Here is where you can get a cab file that will add the tab to your Rhodium contacts. I'm pretty sure this cab will break your contact and call history menus though. Try the facebook app.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=1132

Q: Lolz... are you like a noob or something?
A: Yeah.

*NEW* WM 6.5 (Starting with rom version 2.0) FAQ:

Q: Isn't 6.5 slower than 6.1?
A: Yes.
But not terribly so. I find that the 6.5 version of the rom is quite usable even though it is a little slower and maybe a bit memory leaky. The 6.5 sys's are getting better with each new version that comes out, and I will continue to incorporate these into the rom, while maintaining the same look and overall functionality that you are used to.

Q: How is the battery life?
A: It's actually been really good... not a concern.

Q: The initial customizations after flashing are taking longer!!! Is something wrong?
A: No, that's normal... they do take a little longer.

Q: This new start menu is sweet! but it took me a while to get the icons where I want them... am I gonna have to do this each time I flash?
A: Actually, once you move them how you want them (by pressing and holding on the icons) you can back up the position of your start menu icons and restore them with Sashimi auto>reg. You might have to move a couple icons down still after your restore them, but this method will save you a ton of time. The reg entry to back up is HKLM>Security>Shell>StartInfo

Q: After I flash I still have the TouchFlo interface!!! Where is the new WM 6.5 homescreen?!?!
A: You can get it by going to the Today settings dialog, then to the "items" tab and selecting Windows Default. This is the same place you go to get TouchFlo back.

Q: Why did you use the HTC dialer? I heard the lock function won't work unless you use the WM dialer.
A: The lock function is working fine with the HTC dialer. The lock does glitch the first time after a soft reset usually, but you can un-glitch it by turning your screen off and then back on. After that is seems to work normally every time. The HTC dialer is much nicer anyway.
*edit* After a bit more testing... it does, in fact, glitch on an incoming call... you will probably want to continue using whatever locking method/software you were using previously.

Q: I heard that the bluetooth icon doesn't work in 6.5... is that true?
A: Because we are using the HTC dialer, we don't have this problem. The bluetooth icon shows up normally.

Q: How do I start the lock screen?
A: Open the start menu, then click on lock in the lower left. It's really not all that great... if you are used to another locking software, you may want to keep using it... but that will be personal preference.

Q: Is the 6.5 version of this rom gonna use up more of my main storage space?
A: Yes, a little... but I have been working to optimize this and will continue to do so.

Q: Why did you decide to start using 6.5?
A: I was a little undecided, but I took a user poll and the overwhelming results were that Bear-Bonz rom users wanted this transition. I'm actually pretty pleased with it so far... there is some nice new functionality. I particularly like the new start menu, and I have actually started hiding my HTC program launcher altogether and just using the 6.5 start menu.

Q: This rom sucks now!!! You completely screwed it up!!! You are a big jerk!!!
A: Umm... that's not really a question... but you do have several options:
1) Wait for me to improve it.
2) Patch it up yourself with cabs and reg edits, etc...
3) Download a different premade rom... there are so many awesome choices and varieties of them available right now, you shouldn't have trouble finding what you are looking for. You can get 6.1, 6.5, without manila, with manila, all different looks, RSTG even made one with Mobile Shell 3.0!
4) BEST OPTION - Read the how-to kitchens tutorial, download a kitchen (I use Calkulin's) and cook your own rom.

Q: I really like the changes in Bear-Bonz 2.0!!! Will you be my friend???
A: Sure.

*NEW* The official "flash back to shipped" FAQ

Q: OMGZ!?!?! My phone is doing all kinds of crazy stuff like:
1) Randomly hard resetting
2) Hanging on the boot screen
3) My programs, or program icons are missing after I install them
4) My backup data seems to have been corrupted or is causing problems (like in my calendar appointments or causing my calendar to crash TF)
5) Other weird and major problems that nobody else seems to be having
Wtf do I do?!?! I'm Freaking out!!!! Help me or I swear I'll jump!!!
A) OK, calm down... back away from the ledge. This is a common thing and you can fix it very easily by flashing back to the shipped rom for your carrier (should be Sprint for most of us using this rom).

Q: *sniff* R-really? *wipes tears* How do I do it?
A: Here's what you do:
1) Go here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=36062 and download the shipped rom for your carrier in the first post... not the stock rom, the shipped rom.
2) Flash the shipped rom.
3) After it boots, flash back to your preferred radio, as the shipped rom will restore the default radio, and update to your preferred PRL.
4) Hard reset by shutting down your device, pull your battery for 10 seconds, then hold in vol down, then the center button, then power, then wait for the white screen and follow the instructions.
5) After it boots you can then you can flash back to the custom rom of your choice.

Q: Dang... that sounds like a pain! Am I gonna have to do it each time I flash?
A: I don't see any reason to do it unless you are getting the weird problems. I have only needed to do it maybe about 5 times ever and I flash like a fiend.

Q: Can't I just use the "stock" rom instead of the "shipped" one? I already have the stock one and they are almost the same and...
A: No.

Q: But I...
A: No.

Q: Hey! I just followed your instructions and it totally fixed my problem! Is there any way I can ever repay you?!?!!?
A: *Image Remove by NinjaMom <--- Sam Jackson was here... "Read the thread sukkas"

Last edited by Drybonz; 06-06-2009 at 06:33 PM.
This post has been thanked 23 times.