View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 11:59 PM
mwalt2
VIP Member

mwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Since my stock rom is messed up any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gera229 View Post
So if I put a custom rom I will need to flash a radio?

You mean it is uncommon that radios are included or that they need to be flashed?

By the way you use Telus radio and get better signal, but are you still on Sprint network? And the network speeds are the same as sprint should be right? Telus is slightly slower than sprint from my research.
You don't need to flash a radio to your device. All stock/shipped ROMs from HTC contain a radio. Some are newer and maybe 'better', so people like to flash them. They aren't usually included in custom ROMs because they have the possibility of bricking your phone if the radio is not meant for your phone. If someone with a GSM phone doesn't read close enough and flashes Vin's ROM, that person now owns a paper weight. I know there have been some people here with CDMA phones that flashed GSM ROMs containing radios, and they do not have a working phone anymore. Radios can all be flashed separately and do not reset anything on your phone where your ROM/data is, so there is really no reason for them to be included with a custom ROM in my opinion.

As long as you only flash a CDMA TP2/Rhodium radio to your CDMA TP2/Rhodium phone, you will have no problems. You can use radios from Telus, Verizon, or Sprint for CDMA since they are all CDMA carriers (though I have no idea if all those radios contain the necessary stuff for the 'world phone' portion of the Sprint TP2). If you flash a telus radio to your sprint phone, you'll still connect to the sprint network but the phone's radio may get a better/worse signal based on different code in the radio. What radio works the best for you probably depends on your location as much as anything. There is no 'best' radio for everyone.

Last edited by mwalt2; 01-31-2011 at 12:03 AM.