View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 12:13 PM
rainfreak
Gettin' Freaky With It

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: Problems after rooting/custom kernel

I loved your show! You guys made the Partidge family your bit**es!

I am (still) running Zeife's 12.1 kernel. Here is what I can tell you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Brady View Post
This is list of issues my phone is now having since rooting.

Day 1: phone went into flight mode but it was not turned on in the settings and could not get radio to turn back on and had to reset.
I have never had that happen, but that could be an issue with his 14.1 kernel. FWIW, he has version 14.2 out now, which may fix some of the issues with 14.1. You can always check his changelogs here.

Quote:
Day 2: phone was working great, went into store to grab some gum, came out and phone would not turn on. No lights just black screen, had to pull battery and restart.
: Now im noticing scan lines randomly zipping through the screen here and there.
I have never had mine lock up or only show a black screen. The "scan lines randomly zipping through the screen here and there" are typical with Zeife's kernels. It is a matter of a tradeoff... more processing power and more stabilty for a few lines here and there.

Quote:
Day 3: Started using internet this morning then half-way through a google search it just stopped. ev icon on status bar- still had good service- but no internet. would work in any app. had to restart.
I have also not had this happen. Remember, Zeife puts out new versions for a reason. It might be time for you to upgrade to the latest version.

Quote:
Just to be clear im not accusing the custom kernel at this point because i only had the phone for 2 days before rooting.
I am. Well, I am saying that at least one of the issues you decribed (random lines) are because of the kernel. Contrary to poular belief Zeife is actually human, so he does make mistakes, hence the new kernel releases.

Quote:
Other apps installed that may be causing problems so if you have these apps and any of these problems maybe we can make a connection.

1. SMS unread count
2. Scan 2 PDF full
3. Quick Settings
4. Astro File explorer
5. Wireless tether 2.0 pre7 added end of day 2
The wireless tether might have caused the Interent connection to stall, as you reported above. The others are typical apps that I don't see an issue with.

Quote:
Overall i like this phone. I traded in my diamond for this because TP2 is just too much money for another windows phone. I dont feel 800 mhz pumping through it though. It is laggy at times and if a few apps are open the dialer lags when dialing.
It absolutely should not be laggy for you, especially in comparison to a TP, or even a TP2 for that matter. You might want to install Advanced Task Killer (free) from the Market and kill some of the stuff that is running in the background, which might help. I would also think strongly about updating the kernel to Zeife's latest.

Quote:
Also has anyone used games on this phone? i downloaded raging thunder which ran flawlessly on my xv6700 many years ago and it is really choppy on this phone. Even monopoly skips and is jumpy. Is this just my phone or is that all we get with android?
I play Kitten Cannon, Armored Strike, Uno, Radiant, Flying Aces, Speedx 3D and Speed Forge 3D all without any lag or problems, whatsoever.

Quote:
Thanks to anyone who replies.

but please refrain from asking about mrs brady and the rest of the gang thanks
You are welcome. But you had to know that I would say something...