View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 11:34 AM
rainfreak
Gettin' Freaky With It
Threadstarter

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: [TUTORIAL] How to Root the Samsung Moment

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I keep getting stuck at "<1>setup connection..." in ODIN, what should I do?

A. There are a number of things that you can try. Many people report different results, so keep going down the list of one doesn't work.
  • Close ODIN and reopen ODIN
  • Close any Firefox Browser windows that you may have open then close ODIN and reopen ODIN
  • Close ODIN, disconnect the phone from the USB cable, reconnect the phone to the USB cable and reopen ODIN
  • Close ODIN, disconnect the phone from the USB cable, remove the battery and after waiting a few seconds replace the battery, enter "Download Mode" again, reconnect the phone to the USB cable and reopen ODIN
  • Close ODIN, move the USB cable to a different USB port on your PC and reopen ODIN
------------

Q. My PC didn't automatically install the correct drivers for my Moment and I can not see it in ODIN, what now?

A. You can manually add the drivers to the generic device that Windows found by going to device drivers and manually pointing to the "\Program Files\Samsung\Samsung New PC Studio\USB Drivers\3\" directory.

------------

Q. My phone won't boot at all now and other than buying a bus ticket to go kick rainfreak's ass, what can I do?

A. First, save yourself a long journey for a bad ending. Next, simply perform a hard reset and it will make your phone go back to the way it was the day it rolled off the line at Samsung. To do a hard reset, do the following (Note: all data, apps, text messages, contacts, etc will be lost so you should only do this if you have no choice!):
  • Volume Down+Send+Cancel then follow the prompts
------------

Q. So Mr. smart guy, what are some more commands that I can use with BTE and my new cool rooted Moment?

A. Hey, thanks for noticing how damn smart I am! As for commands that you can use in BTE, check out this list:
  • su - enter super user/root priviledges
  • remount rw - remount the file system with read/write capabilities
  • remount ro - remount the file system with read-only capabilities
  • pwd - stands for print working directory and shows current directory
  • cat (filename) > /(destination)/(filename) - copy the file from current directory to the destination directory
  • rm (filename).apk - delete or remove (filename).apk from current directory
  • busybox sh - replaces the default android shell with the busybox shell, which gives you tab completion and command history, amoungst other things.
------------

Q. WTH? How come you listed Zeife's 12.1 version of the custom kernel and he has a newer version out?

A. When I created this How To I did it with version 12.1 of the Zeife kernel, which was the most recent stable version. If you want the latest and greatest, you can check on his releases here.

------------

Q. Why did you take out the information on how to get permanent root on the Moment for users with the official CL14 update already installed?

A. Another member of PPCG, Elephant007, created a great How To guide for users with the CL14 update. I just didn't see the point in having two of the same thing, with different approaches.

Last edited by rainfreak; 03-04-2010 at 04:39 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.