View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 01:00 AM
fenixjn
Halfway to VIP Status

fenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Full back up vs. ROM flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith0318 View Post
If I do a full back up (spb backup) that backs up database, programs & directory, does reflashing with an updated ROM (mightymike) defeat the purpose? In other words, if the updated ROM has updates to the directory, wouldn't the full back up change them back after flashing? If so then how should I back up for a reflash so I don't have to go back in & change all my settings back the way they were?
Yes, a full system backup is intended as that, a backup or something to fall on if you dont like what you flashed. (This is an excellent resource for testing new ROMs, if you dont like the new ROM you just flashed, just flash the previous one and perform a full restore afterwards and your phone will be back in business like nothing ever happened)

You should NEVER restore a backup from and older ROM into a newer one, this causes unpredictable results and data loss (personal experience).

If you wish to keep your settings and programs, you should look for another solution like sashimi that allows to install all your programs (in some cases with registration if you figure out how to create .reg files for the registry) and other programs. Also for your contacts you should use either PIM backup or MyPhone from MS (note that My Phone also will backup your texts, pictures and music on the device to an online account)

ROM: DamageControl 3.1.2
Radio: Stock +upgrade (for now)