PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Tutorial- How to edit WM Registry (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=68197)

BigDiesel07 05-11-2009 07:37 AM

Tutorial- How to edit WM Registry

Here is a fantastic tutorial about how to edit the registry on your WM smartphone... I have copied it below to share to you... It is a definite read if you are new to editing your registry values...

Quote:

Most of the tweaks and hacks we post here on pocketnow.com require users to edit (modify, delete from or add to) their device’s registry and we receive several requests and questions where users ask us “How to edit the registry?” Read on for our Tutorial on How to Edit Your Registry.

First things first: What’s a “Registry”?
Regardless if you’re talking about Desktop, Notebook or Pocket PCs running a certain version of Microsoft Windows Operating System, they all have a registry, which basically is a database of settings and options. According to Wikipedia, “It contains information and settings for hardware, operating system software, most non-operating system software, and per-user settings. The registry also provides a window into the operation of the kernel, exposing runtime information such as performance counters and currently active hardware.”

A deeper look: What’s a “Registry” made of?
Registries are made of two components: keys and values and are structured in logical components called hives. Look at registry keys like they were folders, each key having the ability of containing one or several other “subkeys” and so on. Values on the other hand are name/data pairs which are stored inside keys.

List of WM Registry Value Types
REG_NONE
No type
REG_SZ
A string value
REG_BINARY
Binary data (any arbitrary data)
REG_DWORD
A DWORD value, a 32-bit unsigned integer (numbers between 0 and 4,294,967,295 [232 – 1]) (little-endian)
REG_MULTI_SZ
A multi-string value, which is an array of unique strings
* source: Wikipedia
Short examples might be consisting of the following: String values usually are paths to applications or executables. A String value example might be: “mp3dec.dll”=”\Windows\mp3dec.dll” or DWord values usually define the enabled/disabled, existing/inexistent, etc. state of the value. A DWord example could be: "Enabled"=dword:00000001 Hives are structures of a Registry and, in a typical Windows Mobile environment; you will have the following hives:
List of WM Registry Hives
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
stores information about registered applications, such as file associations and OLE Object Class IDs, tying them to the applications used to handle these items
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
stores settings that are specific to the currently logged-in user
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
stores settings that are specific to the local computer/device
HKEY_USERS
contains subkeys corresponding to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER keys for each user profile actively loaded on the machine, though user hives are usually only loaded for currently logged-in users. This also contains valuable keys related information about different users

Registry editing: principles
Editing your registry basically comes down to a few operations you need to understand: adding, deleting and modifying plus registry import and export.
Most of the times, all editing is done on the values, as they are the ones that have a finality but there are times though when you need to create keys

Adding to the registry is done by creating either one or more values and/or one or more keys. You need to create a value or a key when the specific value or key is not in your device’s registry. You create values and keys using the same method: tap and hold on an empty space, tap on “New” and select “Key” if you want to create a new Key or select one of the “DWord”, “String”, “Multi string” or “Binary” in case you want to create a value, depending on the type of your value to be created. Example!

Deleting from the registry means that you will physically remove something from the registry, so that the reference is no longer to be found. You might be required to do so in cases you want to revert to defaults or undo changes made.

You modify the values of a Registry when you want to alter behavior related to that exact value. Typical scenarios are: enable/disable, path settings, and value settings. Example! Import and Export functionality is important in a Registry Editor application as it allows you to import a registry patch (which consists of several registry keys and values) rather than doing some huge edits yourself, or to Export existing Registry keys and values for several reasons: backing up, moving to other device, etc. Registry editing: direct on-device registry editing
The easiest way to edit your registry is to do it directly, on your device. The advantages are that you can do this any time, any place without the need of wires, connections or a PC. The applications used to edit the Registry this way access the Registry on the device directly and so they save the changes too. These applications are Device applications which install and run on your Device.
Registry editing: remote registry editing
Heavy Registry editing, in cases you need to undertake several changes in the Registry, might require you to use, for ease of work reasons, applications that edit your registry remotely. What does this mean? It means that you will have your device connected via a wire/Bluetooth to a PC through ActiveSync or Windows Mobile Device Center, and the application used to edit the registry will access the Registry from your PC on your device through the connection. These applications usually are PC applications which install and run on your PC.

Ok - I understand - how can I find registry edits?
We have a whole section in our wiki devoted to Registry Edits. Check it out!

Registry editing applications (just some of them, really)
Free:
PHM Registry Editor – Popular Stand-alone Windows Mobile Registry Editor for Windows Mobile
CeRegEditor / CeRegEditor – Popular Remote Windows Mobile Registry Editor for Desktop
Dotfred's TaskManager – A Free Task Manager Containing a Registry Editor
Total Commander – The Popular File Explorer Alternative With a Registry Editor Inside

Commercial:
SKTools (pocketnow.com review)
MemMaid (pocketnow.com review)
Resco Explorer (pocketnow.com review)

Word of Warning!
Registry editing can be harmful for your device! Be very careful when editing your registry and always make sure you have a full backup handy just in case!

nemoid 05-11-2009 10:40 PM

Re: Tutorial- How to edit WM Registry

This should be stickied. I'd also like to add a quick (and very similar) tutorial for Mobile Registry Editor for Windows. I use it and it's easier to use than working on your phone. Original HERE

madcook 05-18-2009 10:42 AM

good stuff guys thanx

rstoyguy 05-18-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Word of Warning!
Registry editing can be harmful for your device! Be very careful when editing your registry and always make sure you have a full backup handy just in case!

Registry editing can also make your device run oh so good. :)

But good stuff, now if I only had the time...

diandgy 05-18-2009 11:41 PM

i wanna change some values like slowing down the scrolling and stopping that damn alert that a message has been sent..... i have the phm registry editor

madcook 05-19-2009 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diandgy (Post 923133)
i wanna change some values like slowing down the scrolling and stopping that damn alert that a message has been sent..... i have the phm registry editor

you know theres a cab for the mess thing

diandgy 05-27-2009 12:50 AM

is there a way to get a registry and its values for my touch pro??

BigDiesel07 05-27-2009 12:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by diandgy (Post 937556)
is there a way to get a registry and its values for my touch pro??

Yes Di... You need a program to edit the registry.. I uploaded the one I use.. It's called 'Total Commander'... Now what are you looking to edit?

info[]box1 05-27-2009 01:29 AM

Does anyone had the correct registry edit for SCROLL BAR...?
This wm phm reg edit doesnt work on cdma treo pro...
I want to clear up some more space on the today screen...

Navigate to HKey_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GWE\ and tweak the following values.
cyHScr : Horizontal Scrollbars Height in pixels (default is 13)
cxVScr : Vertical Scrollbars Width in pixels (default is 13)

__________________________________________________ _______
the problem is i dont see cyHRcr...etc...to edit the default setting 13 to a lower number...i just dont see to phm registry edit...

BigDiesel07 05-27-2009 02:03 AM

Try using Total Commander Info... The .Cab is posted above...

info[]box1 05-28-2009 11:57 PM

i think i got it

abb 07-11-2009 03:55 PM

Re: Tutorial- How to edit WM Registry for Samsung/Omnia i910

This is wonderful, thank you.=D> I was hoping this might be the right thread to help me. I have the Samsung/Omnia i910. I would like to remove the "Verizon Wireless" on the Today Screen. It is right above the date and day on the left side of the screen. I currently have the RescoRegistry application. Would that be helpful in helping me get rid of the "free" advertising for Verizon?

I am hoping you can assist me. If you have other tweek suggestions that would be awesome! I'd be happy to make donation to the site. :)

Best Regards,
abb
Samsung/Omnia
Windows Mobile 6.0 Pro
Verizon

diandgy 07-21-2009 11:09 PM

the delay when i am typing is terribile.... can you help

Apocalypsebc 09-12-2009 02:00 PM

does any of this work for the touch pro 2

BigDiesel07 09-12-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocalypsebc (Post 1160029)

Yes, for the most part.. Exact changes will not work, but the general premise will.

horndoctor 09-12-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abb (Post 1029625)
This is wonderful, thank you.=D> I was hoping this might be the right thread to help me. I have the Samsung/Omnia i910. I would like to remove the "Verizon Wireless" on the Today Screen. It is right above the date and day on the left side of the screen. I currently have the RescoRegistry application. Would that be helpful in helping me get rid of the "free" advertising for Verizon?

I am hoping you can assist me. If you have other tweek suggestions that would be awesome! I'd be happy to make donation to the site. :)

Best Regards,
abb
Samsung/Omnia
Windows Mobile 6.0 Pro
Verizon

You probably just need to go from the start menu to Settings/Personal/Today and uncheck show carrier.
Quote:

Originally Posted by diandgy (Post 1051053)
the delay when i am typing is terribile.... can you help

If you haven't done it already, turn off screen clicks /tones in sounds and notifications. Also if you turn off predictive text that will speed things up.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocalypsebc (Post 1160029)

Yep, I recommend PHM Regeditor. I have had better luck using it rather than using Total Commander for reg edits. I know the registry on the TP2 is different and I suggest you go to the TP2 Forum for the Reg edits and Tweaks but the info BigD provided in his original post would apply for editing any device.

Clem2 09-16-2009 01:00 AM

The link to Mobile Registry Editor for Windows in the #2 post takes me to a never ending advertisement/links. Where is another place I can get that software?

Much thanks

nemoid 09-16-2009 07:52 AM

http://ceregeditor.mdsoft.pl/

CeRegEdit is much better than what is posted in the second post.

Clem2 09-16-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemoid (Post 1169692)
http://ceregeditor.mdsoft.pl/

CeRegEdit is much better than what is posted in the second post.

Thank you very much.

Sharkie405 10-21-2009 12:49 PM

Aight so here is my stupid question for the day:

I'm running RZ's Baseline Manila ROM 6.5.1 build 23069. It doesn't have HTC pop-up menus throughout the OS like other ROMs I've tried. I love the HTC pop-up menus over WM pop-up menus anyday. I've learned that HKLM\System\GWE\Menu\CUIHandler is the key to adjust. Change the CUIHandler DWord value from 0 (WM Menus) to 1 to get the HTC Menus.
The problem is RZ's ROM doesn't have the CUIHandler string. I tried to create it...I did create it, but nothing happen. No change in my menus. Clearly I must be missing a step. I started a new DWord value, set the value, soft-reset and nothing...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

wmi 11-10-2009 08:59 PM

HI...I have a simple question...hope to get a quick reply from any of you. How is the registry backed up? I know there are original roms available so can i go ahead and proceed without backing up my touch pro 2 registry?

I think I have figured out the answer...I just needed a bit more reading to do...thanks anyways.

kjhadfield 11-19-2009 01:40 AM

im trying to save sum reg. keys so i can use it to backup w/ XDA_UC when i flash and hard reset. i'm guessing i need to 'export' those keys? but i'm using the resco explorer/ registry and i cant find the export option, what am i doing wrong?

and can any1 help me, once i'm able to export the reg. key could i put that straight in the XDA_UC folder and it will insert it in the correct place or do i have to do anything else.

thanks for your time

horndoctor 11-19-2009 01:55 AM

Can you just select the Key you want to save and select backup or copy? You could do a registry backup as well. Also, you could possibly ask someone here to make you some cabs of the reg edits you want to apply after a flash.

kjhadfield 11-19-2009 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horndoctor (Post 1342702)
Can you just select the Key you want to save and select backup or copy? You could do a registry backup as well. Also, you could possibly ask someone here to make you some cabs of the reg edits you want to apply after a flash.

i can 'copy' and paste to storage but i cannot see the file after, no back up option. i was trying to just throw sum reg. edits into my XDA_UC folder and have it install that way instead of all the cabs. i was trying to be a bit more organized

thanks 4 your quick reply

i also install app chrome flashback but it didnt seem to restore correctly but anyway when i install that cab it auto install the dotfred task so i was able to 'export' the reg. keys that way but would like to figure out about being able to use the resco registry instead cuz its a bit more finger friendly
thanks

horndoctor 11-19-2009 02:15 AM

No problem. :) I've never used resco registry editor so I don't know what to tell you.:( I use Phm Regeditor cause it's pretty simple . Works for me.

kjhadfield 11-19-2009 02:26 AM

maybe i'll try that 1 too, hows it compared to the dotfred?

also i'm new to this so still just searching threw the reg. to try and figure things out but so far i found keys for the push internet tabs, contact card, weather cities + fahrenheit setting. still need to figure out bout quick links on home page (manila 2.5) fav. people, vibrate off (everything include softkb) opera 9.7 and even 10 beta bookmarks, notification sounds/events/ring tones etc., and thats just the stuff off the top my head i'm sure there more

horndoctor 11-19-2009 02:37 AM

Well here is a link to phm:

http://www.phm.lu/products/PocketPC/RegEdit/

I like the search feature it has built in and it's pretty easy to use. I haven't tried dotfred so I don't know about that. Have you looked at the TP2 Cleanup Thread yet? There are several reg edit cabs in there. Also Mighty's Tweaks Thread. :)

kjhadfield 11-19-2009 02:50 AM

yea the tp2 clean up is pretty much just 1 big cab, i'm running juicy's r3 rom. and i'll look into the mighty tweaks thread but i know a lot of stuff in there doesnt apply to 2.5 (was more towards 2.1 stock in the begining)

when you say search feature what exactly can you do w/ that? say type in vibrate and it comes back w/ all keys w/ vibrate or ...

horndoctor 11-19-2009 03:00 AM

Yeah, you can type in a word and have it search/find all registry keys and values with that word in it.

fivestargentleman 01-05-2010 02:18 PM

Which registry editor works best with Sprint's Touch Pro 2? I attempted to edit the registry last night, only to do a hard reset because of an all black screen...

jeffg 03-19-2010 12:24 PM

Can someone provide detailed instructions or a cab for editing registry on t-mo hd2 to get office into landscape mode? I am willing to compensate.

mgarret0 03-28-2010 06:58 PM

I went to the Wiki page, but it didn't mention moving the default location of my documents folder to the storage card. Do you have instruction on how to edit the registry?
Marc

SoFocused504 06-26-2010 12:07 AM

thanks this really helped i had problems creating an dword registry