PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   How To: Registry edit to .cab (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=29568)

SBR_L3GION 06-18-2008 09:24 AM

How To: Registry edit to .cab

this is a a quick and easy guide to making your registry edits in to cabs.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU CAUSE TO YOUR PHONE DOING THIS. I DO NOT ADVISE DOING THIS IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH EDITING YOUR REGISTRY.

First lets make sure you have the tools for this.
1. Your device
2. Usb cable for your device
3. computer (this has been tested on windows i have no clue for you mac users)
4. activesync for XP and WMDC for vista
5.this registry editor found here http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-...-v0-0-3-0.html

Now that you have all this lets get started. Start by connecting your device to your computer with your USB cable. After you are connected via Activesync(WMDC) then you must go in to the registry editor, hopefully your phone connected but if not look up in the upper left hand corner and click on the connect device button. once you have it connected then you can explore your phones entire registry. i take for granted that you have edited your regidtry before so once you edited your registry to your liking then you click on the changed registry so that it is highlighted. once you have the desired key highlighted then you go to the top of the screen and find the export registry button, click on that and be sure to name your registry edit something specicfic because the may be several hacks for one section. after you have exported your edit it should be in your my documents on your computer if you did not make a specific folder for it. i advise this for those who have a crouded my documents folder. so now half of the battle is won. now you must go back up to the top of the screen to the conversion tab,click on it and selest the REG->CAB option. that should open windows explorer from there you must find your exported registry file. once you have fond click on it and click open.after you open it will ask you for for the file name name it the same thing that you named your exported registry file.after you ok that then it will ask you for the cab name you should also name this the same thing you have been naming your registry file from the beginning, it will also ask for the author name. i advise using your name that is what i do.after you ok it you should get a popup saying conversion complete. then you pat yourself on the back because you have just successfully made your first cab from a registry edit.

Stay tuned till this weekend when i have means of testing.

hopefulls of what will happen.
1. being able to create registry edits that delete keys.
2.creating cabs that contain multiple registry edits.

the first instructions were for simple registry edits. the next post will hopefully contain contain instructions on how to make more complex registry edits in to cabs.

SBR_L3GION 06-18-2008 09:33 AM

Re: How To: Registry edit to .cab

this space is where i will post my next instructions on how to make more complex registry edits in to cabs. be sure to check this weekend for updates and i hope to have things figured out as early as saturday night possibly earlier and hopefully at the latest monday. sorry for the vague ETA but i have absolutley no idea how packed my weekend will be nut i will make the time to do this tutorial providing that i work out as many flaws as i can.

LuLuTheMonk 06-18-2008 02:03 PM

How do you include more than one registry edit into one cab?

I was just able to create a cab to make this reg edit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\limit
8192 -> 16384

How would I create a cab that incorporates more than just one reg edit such as the above reg edit and:
HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS\CacheSize
0 -> 8192

What happens if the changed registry is a registry that you have deleted?
For example:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
"Extension"="rilphone.dll"

As there is no key to highlight in order to export?

SBR_L3GION 06-18-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuLuTheMonk (Post 318551)
How do you include more than one registry edit into one cab?

I was just able to create a cab to make this reg edit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\limit
8192 -> 16384

How would I create a cab that incorporates more than just one reg edit such as the above reg edit and:
HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS\CacheSize
0 -> 8192

What happens if the changed registry is a registry that you have deleted?
For example:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
"Extension"="rilphone.dll"

As there is no key to highlight in order to export?

for your first question i would just make 2 cabs for it and the last reg edit i saved as a favorite in the program. i am working on other more complex cabs.

LuLuTheMonk 06-18-2008 04:01 PM

Well, the issue I am having is that I will eventually be having 10, 15, or more registry edits and would rather not have to run 15 separate cab files :)

What exactly does saving it as a favorite in the program do?

InvincibleLiving 06-20-2008 01:32 PM

Thanks for this SBR, this will benefit the community greatly!

SBR_L3GION 06-20-2008 01:42 PM

i will be adding a tutorial this weekend for making more complex regedits to cabs.

Nickles 06-20-2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBR_L3GION (Post 320533)
i will be adding a tutorial this weekend for making more complex regedits to cabs.

question -- after you install the cab, does it appear in the list of 'add/remove programs'. ?
if YES, then if you chose to un-install it, what happens to that reg key ?
does it just delete it completely ? then you have no regkey at all ?

SBR_L3GION 06-20-2008 04:12 PM

it shows up like any other program and it reset the registry back to the way it was before the edit.

VizionForever 07-31-2008 02:24 PM

Does active sync save/edit some settings in the registry? Only reason I ask is I recenlty used a 6.0 activesync on a 6.1 rom and now a reg entry forceconnection is completely gone? BTW I plan to use you Program Looks sweet! If you do alot of cooking...