PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   TP2 Themes & Software (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Pixelated Garmin Shortcut on Home Page (Manila 2.5) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=109378)

ctasich 02-04-2010 11:40 AM

Pixelated Garmin Shortcut on Home Page (Manila 2.5)

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys. I have Garmin Mobile bound to one of the three shortcuts underneath the clock on the home page of Manila 2.5 (see attached jpg). However, it looks pretty pixelated. Is there a way to change the icon associated with the .lnk? Also, I've looked on the internet for a higher res Garmin icon with no luck. I know this is really anal, but the rest of my phone looks so slick and then there's this glaring pixelated icon right in the middle. Thanks in advance!

Blackcircle 02-04-2010 12:49 PM

Re: Pixelated Garmin Shortcut on Home Page (Manila 2.5)

lol....mine looks the same way.

dgourd 02-04-2010 01:16 PM

In Sense 2.5, the icons they use are slightly bigger than the default icons. Most program icons will look pixelated until they are updated to a higher resolution. You can change it yourself by replacing the icon.ico file with a properly sized image.

ctasich 02-04-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgourd (Post 1540689)
In Sense 2.5, the icons they use are slightly bigger than the default icons. Most program icons will look pixelated until they are updated to a higher resolution. You can change it yourself by replacing the icon.ico file with a properly sized image.

Right, I have noticed that they are larger. I did try to find a better resolution .ico file on the internet, but I can't seem to track one down. Does anyone have any leads or could someone make one?

dgourd 02-04-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctasich (Post 1540919)
Right, I have noticed that they are larger. I did try to find a better resolution .ico file on the internet, but I can't seem to track one down. Does anyone have any leads or could someone make one?

You just take a png file and rename it to "icon.ico" (without quotations). It just has to be the correct resolution though.

Daemonax 02-04-2010 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The only image I could find that matched the original icon is http://img.informer.com/icons/png/48/230/230495.png and it is only 48x48.

I scaled it up to 64x64 and sharpened it a bit. It may be a little better. But unless you particular like the original, why stop there? Use the tip from above and put whatever icon you want in there.

[IMG]file:///home/jmarkle/Desktop/64x64.png[/IMG]

ctasich 02-05-2010 01:27 AM

Thanks for the sharpened icon. However, it seems to me that the Garmin.lnk references Garmin.exe which apparently has an embedded icon. Is there a way around this? I couldn't find an icon file to replace.

ctasich 02-05-2010 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got it! Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up using a program called IconDeveloper by Stardock to convert the .png to an .ico (so it maintained the transparency). Then I used another program called Icon Changer to change the embedded icon in Garmin Mobile XT.exe. Looks so much better.

See attached zip for the exe with the improved icon. Just replace:

Phone\Garmin\Garmin Mobile XT.exe

with this exe and then soft reset. All shortcut icons should update to the higher res icon. I've also included the .ico file just in case, but you shouldn't have to use this.

Hope this helps others as well!

ekeown 03-23-2010 11:27 AM

Thank you for doing this, after doing the Sprint 6.5 update the Garmin icon bugged me, regardless of how minor of an issue it really is.

However I have one issue. Now that I've replaced the original .exe with your .exe and did a soft reset I get the following error when I try to run Garmin Mobile XT:

"Garmin Mobile XT.exe
The file 'Garmin Mobile XT' cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate, or one of its components cannot be found. If the problem persists try reinstalling or restoring this file."

Anyone have a clue how to fix this? I think I remember a .cab that was floating around for 6.1 that allowed gave you permissions to run unsigned programs...would that fix this for me, and will that same .cab work on 6.5?