PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Titan Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Step by Step tutorial for unlocking your device and cooking your own ROM!!! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=33857)

gguruusa 08-04-2008 02:17 AM

Re: Step by Step tutorial for unlocking your device and cooking your own ROM!!!

I think it needs lots of pictures :)

Rushed through it, but looks pretty good to me! Quality work, as always.

There are tools to help create help files...let me know if you need me to find one for you.

(.rtf is Rich Text Format...I'm sure your favorite editor supports it...you can add coloring/fonts/pictures)

gguruusa 08-04-2008 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claude9039u (Post 370264)
Thank you for helping everyone new to this. I tried to get get help but was not able to receive help from guys and just had to try and figure things out on my own. I wish someone like you woudl have come foward a long time ago and helped out like you did.

Sorry to hear that. We're almost always available in the chat rooms. If #ppcgeeks isn't working for you, try #ppckitchen (type /join #ppckitchen" while in chat to join #ppckitchen)

GA Medic, you might want to add a section on how to get help...after you've searched and read. And maybe a basic troubleshooting guide.

GaMedic 08-04-2008 06:48 AM

Thanks for the sugestions. I did put several screenshots in last night. I will try and make some of the other changes later.

flyers2114 08-04-2008 11:44 AM

Excellent work GA!! This should help out a lot of people!!!=D>

Robtao 08-04-2008 12:45 PM

Nice writeup. I always like your thorough and helpful answers to questions. Usually they help me understand stuff better, even if I already have a fair grasp of it.

GaMedic 08-04-2008 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyers2114 (Post 370815)
Excellent work GA!! This should help out a lot of people!!!=D>

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robtao (Post 370919)
Nice writeup. I always like your thorough and helpful answers to questions. Usually they help me understand stuff better, even if I already have a fair grasp of it.

Thank you both for your kind words. I am open to any input that anyone has to make the guide better so don't hesitate to suggest improvements.

DDavis90 08-05-2008 09:09 AM

Ga. Medic this is great almost to easy for a noob like me...but once I try to run the new ROM on my phone it freezes on the last splash screen. Are there certain requirements that I have to have when creating a ROM?Just a little more help and I think I'm golden. thanks.

GaMedic 08-05-2008 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDavis90 (Post 371948)
Ga. Medic this is great almost to easy for a noob like me...but once I try to run the new ROM on my phone it freezes on the last splash screen. Are there certain requirements that I have to have when creating a ROM?Just a little more help and I think I'm golden. thanks.

If it was your first ROM don't forget to take the battery out for a minute then put it in and do a hard reset (2 soft keys and reset at the same time). If that doesn't work then you may have a ROM that it too large. Build again, select less and try again.

neodorian 08-05-2008 04:23 PM

Somehow I've managed to go all this time without ever cooking my own ROM. Today was slow at work so I had a go but when the RUU started, it said it couldn't find the cooked ROM and exited.

edit: I'm pretty sure it's my fault. My work sets the computers up so that "Documents and Settings" is on a remote drive and the kitchen saves there but I guess the RUU can't access it. Any way to change the directory where all of this takes place?

edit 2: Well, I just moved the whole output folder to the desktop and the cooked ROM was (theoretically) still in it. I'm running the RUU now and if it doesn't work I will just mess with it at home later.

GaMedic 08-05-2008 06:27 PM

Sorry I as at work myself so I didn't see your question. The best thing to do if you are gonna flash at work is carry along a SD card to flash with.

To flash with a SD card

1. Card has to be 2gb or less in order to work.
2. Has to be formatted to fat32. To format place the card in a reader and insert reader in your PC. Find the drive that contains the card. Right click the drive and select format. Under file syatem select fat32. Hit start. Once the format is complete the card is ready to use.
3. Place the file you wish to flash on the SD card. Rename the file to TITAIMG.nbh.
4. Remove the card from the card reader and insert it into your device.
5. On your device press the power, camers and reset buttons at the same for approx. 2 seconds. You will have a grey screen that ask you to press power button to begin. The flash will take around a minute or so. Once the screen reads update complete you need to press reset and the flash should be complete. If you are flashing a radio the device will boot up normal. If you flashed a ROM the phone needs to be hard reset. Press the two soft keys on the front of the device (below the send/end keys) and at the same time press reset.

You can cook a ROM and do the flash with a cable or you can cook the ROM and pull the RUU_signed.nbh out of the kitchen and flash your phone using the SD method.To locate the file that you need from the kitchen go to C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\hIq Inc\PPC-BuildOS\9.05.2.7Temp and select the file titled RUU_signed.nbh. That is the file you need to place on the SD card to flash.

I will add this information to the tutorial.