PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Sprint Epic 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   missed calls/missed SMS/etc... (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=148348)

revaaron 12-12-2011 11:30 PM

missed calls/missed SMS/etc...

So I've posted this before about the Epic. I finally (after well over a year) searched for it. Originally, I was blaming google integration... I also blamed it on my slow TP2. But now, it seems that it is sprint. Though they want me to bring my phone in, but I know it isn't going to fix anything since it has to be their network not finding me.

1) people call me and it rings 5 times before going to VM. I hear at most 2 rings before missing the call and it going to Google VM. Typically, it rings 1/2 of a ring and before I can move my hand to answer, they are gone. I would say more than 50% of the time, I just get emails with missed calls and my phone shows of sings of ringing at all. Some mornings, people will call me 5 times and they will all ring 5 times and all go to Google VM as my phone is sitting right there turned on beside me.

2) SMS being missed or held up. I will send out say 30 sms to a person over the course of the day. They will answer some of my questions, but not others. Then randomly, 2 days later, they will get all the missed ones in a wall-o-txt.

3) sprint gave me an airave, but it makes sms useless. they come in clusters of 5-10 every 15 minutes.

on or off google integration doesn't seem to matter.
it seems that even though I've been on sprint for 12 years and lived basically in the same place for over a decade, sprint doesn't know where I am.

fixxxer2012 12-12-2011 11:35 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; Incredible 2 Build/GRI40; CyanogenMod-7) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Its not your phone, its sprints crappy network. I had the same thing on my evo & nexus s before i left them back in june.

revaaron 12-13-2011 12:22 AM

Re: missed calls/missed SMS/etc...

damn it!

gTen 12-13-2011 12:36 AM

hmmm...as a last resort, have you tried porting your number to Google Voice?

fixxxer2012 12-13-2011 12:36 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; Incredible 2 Build/GRI40; CyanogenMod-7) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Call sprint and complain.

CozBoogie 12-13-2011 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixxxer2008 (Post 2160024)

Agreed....you gotta bug 'em and let 'em know that you are dissatisfied and that the product (cell service) is inferior in your area.

late,
Coz

revaaron 12-13-2011 03:29 AM

well, my "area" happens to be all of NH and chucks of MA since this happens all the time regardless.

also, GV port made it worse. the x months I was on GVi, I received at most 5% of my calls, but 100% of my SMS. ikn the past month, with GVi, I was getting random SMS showing up in GV, but the people wouldn't get them for 2 days and when they got them it would be 10 random sms out of 30 where they got the other 20 when I sent them (#2 above). I switched off gvi cause I thought this was a gv routing issue.

revaaron 12-13-2011 03:32 AM

Quote:

I have done that now twice and well... they said they were sending me an email that would put me to the front of the queue with no wait at the store. the sucky thing is that in NH the closes sort that can really do anything is nashua. nashua is 1.10 hrs from me. when I had my tp2 and tp and mogul, I drove a over 32hrs dealing with that.

TexasAggie97 12-13-2011 12:38 PM

I'm in Houston and have problems with text messages and phone calls dropping!

CozBoogie 12-13-2011 02:24 PM

When was the last time you updated your PRL and Profile?

late,
Coz

darren.wlsn1 12-13-2011 04:12 PM

didnt read whole thread but people can get airwaves free for home or are you guys changing modems to see if that helps? now that theres a mobile odin app i just odin a modem if i have bad issues on the go.

revaaron 12-13-2011 04:15 PM

like I said, the airave airwave whatever makes things worse for SMS. makes SMS unusable.

darren.wlsn1 12-13-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revaaron (Post 2160109)
like I said, the airave airwave whatever makes things worse for SMS. makes SMS unusable.

lol sorry im not a fan of reading so how about modems/profile updates? i can try and help ya on googletalk if you want.

fixxxer2012 12-13-2011 04:36 PM

The airrave is useless as i had one.

darren.wlsn1 12-13-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixxxer2008 (Post 2160117)

The airrave is useless as i had one.

love mine and never had a issue, your not living in a ave are you? i had vzw and they blow in my area plus the data cap would kill me cause i can push the cap in a day but glad your happy with vzw.

fixxxer2012 12-13-2011 05:00 PM

Verizon is great here, fast 3g and decent 4g. No data or voice issues as of yet. I liked sprint and was with them for 6 years but the tower issues need to be addressed.

darren.wlsn1 12-13-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixxxer2008 (Post 2160123)

Verizon is great here, fast 3g and decent 4g. No data or voice issues as of yet. I liked sprint and was with them for 6 years but the tower issues need to be addressed.

ya its a location issue but least your happy.

revaaron 12-14-2011 10:20 AM

do I just go to the phone and update?

with my airave, making calls is great, but SMS's come in in bursts of my 15 of them every 15 minutes. TERRIBLE!

revaaron 12-14-2011 10:21 AM

BTW: I had this same issue with the TP2 missing calls/phone only ringing at most 2x.

darren.wlsn1 12-14-2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revaaron (Post 2160237)
do I just go to the phone and update?

with my airave, making calls is great, but SMS's come in in bursts of my 15 of them every 15 minutes. TERRIBLE!

if you mean profile ect yes, menu/about phone/system updates. did you ever change modems?

revaaron 12-15-2011 01:55 AM

nope.

darren.wlsn1 12-15-2011 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revaaron (Post 2160421)
nope.

then dont blame sprint, go try some modems and update profile/prl. its not really hard to try and fix minor issues on your own and if you need help ask or pm me.

revaaron 12-15-2011 04:17 AM

ok, don't blame sprint for an issue that has been happening on the last 2 phones I have owned? Plus is now happening to the baby momma's new iphone 4s on sprint?

darren.wlsn1 12-15-2011 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revaaron (Post 2160437)
ok, don't blame sprint for an issue that has been happening on the last 2 phones I have owned? Plus is now happening to the baby momma's new iphone 4s on sprint?

im saying on epic it can be modem and is a easy fix to try, tp2 was also same easy fix but iphony is her fault for buying and i dont mess with them things nor did i see it mentioned till now. all this posting it could be fixed by now.

revaaron 12-15-2011 10:29 AM

I will do the update things, but the modem I get from flashing whatever ROM. It seems that the whole issue is that sprint's call and text routing is somehow unable to locate my phone within 5-6 rings before it goes to voicemail.

revaaron 12-18-2011 04:31 PM

so I went to the store and the guy said "I could basically do a factory reset like you just did or order you a replacement or you can upgrade"

revaaron 12-19-2011 02:51 PM

HOLY $@#$@#%, I missed about 30 calls yesterday and only know about the ones that went to google voicemail. I just turned back on google integration so I can forward calls to my computer/ipad. ridiculous!

The last step to turning on google integration is google calls you... if too like 10 times click "call me now" before my phone rang and it only rang once I called tech support first.

revaaron 12-20-2011 10:30 PM

So I probably have to ditch my epic and sprint. I get almost none of my phone calls coming through. SMS's are messed up like the other thread.
Sunday, go into store 2 different repair centers. "we can hard reset which you just did, order you the same phone as a replacement, sell you a new phone". I choose the replacement.
Tuesday, go into get my replacement phone. Get to my car and realize that the menu key doesn't work. Sprint calls me a bunch of times. All which go to VM and never ring my phone. So I call them back, get to tech support. They have me hard reset to see if that fixes the issue. To humor them, I did it. The steps they gave me didn't work.
1) dial ##78#
2) select Reset
3) dial 228032
4) click on and select yes to reset
I ended up calling ##78# and looking online... nothing about these steps anywhere.
So I hard reset from what the sprint site says.
And they call me back which of course I don't get cause it doesn't ring my phone.
I call back and the person looks up my info and tells me to go into a store as soon as I can cause the techs wont be able to help me.

If you don't know, I have to be available 24/7 as the back up to turning off a transmitter which acts up mostly in the winter time. That means at usually 6am, I have to turn it on or off when someone calls me. FCC fine on a transmitter left on is very high.

gTen 12-22-2011 01:53 AM

Have you tried a different phone to see if it works? or your planning on leaving sprint?

darren.wlsn1 12-22-2011 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revaaron (Post 2160465)
I will do the update things, but the modem I get from flashing whatever ROM. It seems that the whole issue is that sprint's call and text routing is somehow unable to locate my phone within 5-6 rings before it goes to voicemail.

odin a modem on your own.

revaaron 12-22-2011 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2161317)
Have you tried a different phone to see if it works? or your planning on leaving sprint?

I would be forced to probably go to verizon or something. the sucky thing about that is no google integration that I know of and that my company has over 20% discounts on AT&T and sprint, but not verizon.

to try a different phone, I would have to buy a different phone and probably pay $35 to switch back and forth to the phone or whatever that silly charge is. The only other phone I have available is the TP2 and when I had that the most the phone ever rang was twice before going to VM.

revaaron 12-22-2011 02:30 AM

Quote:

I have been lately. but
Sprint-Nextel customers: squeaky wheel gets the -- termination? - Boing Boing

revaaron 12-22-2011 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 2161327)
odin a modem on your own.

I'm running the stock EI22. If sprint has released something like this stock, should that mean that it should work on their network? It fully seems that sprint is almost completely unable to locate me before the calls go to VM. txts too come in bunches sometimes days after they are sent.

To get the call from google integration to come through, I had to (after every call from google voice failing) call *2 which on the epic does things like check the voice and data connections. once I did that, the call from google integration came through.

darren.wlsn1 12-22-2011 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revaaron (Post 2161331)
I'm running the stock EI22. If sprint has released something like this stock, should that mean that it should work on their network? It fully seems that sprint is almost completely unable to locate me before the calls go to VM. txts too come in bunches sometimes days after they are sent.

To get the call from google integration to come through, I had to (after every call from google voice failing) call *2 which on the epic does things like check the voice and data connections. once I did that, the call from google integration came through.

if your using gv thats your issue and it needs to be completely removed from phone AND PC. pm me if you got issues doing it from pc. i swear i had same issue but i didnt see where you said you were using gv till now.

revaaron 12-22-2011 07:31 AM

No no no no no. I only turned on gv because people were calling me like 30 times and I would have no clue that they called. With gv integration, at least I know that people called me. Originally, I just turned on the gv part, but realized that people weren't waiting until vm was hit so I turned on full gvi so at least I would know when people called me. So
No gv = people calling me, my phone almost never ringing and me having no clue about it
With gv vim forward = people calling me, my phone almost never ringing, but I know when they call me and hit vm after 5-6 rings
With full gvi = people calling me, my phone almost never ringing, but gv sending me emails for ever missed call and voicemail.

When my phone does ring, it rings between .5 and 2 times while the people on the other end hear 5-6 rings.

revaaron 12-22-2011 11:56 PM

like I said in the other thread, my phone (the replacement) crapped out on me.
So I now have an app called talkatone for gv on my iPad and it immediately rings. it is awesome, but I feel like zack morris.

revaaron 12-23-2011 09:09 PM

so... the newest refurb they forgot to put all the clips on the screen so it's like a springboard... guess I'll go get phone #4.