PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Sprint Epic 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   What do you use 4G for...I'll startS (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=143392)

pringlet 05-03-2011 11:27 PM

What do you use 4G for...I'll startS

So I've found a great use for 4G and wanted to share it with everyone. Lately I've been on a bunch of conference calls and WebEx presentations. The epic 4G can do both at the same time from a single device. Dial in to the conference line, use PDANet and tether up your laptop over USB and you're golden. Broadband speeds and a conference line all in one. what are your uses for 4G"

gTen 05-03-2011 11:29 PM

Re: What do you use 4G for...I'll startS

Downloading huge files..:/

shane6374 05-03-2011 11:43 PM

Nothing but look at the 4 towers just far enough away to not give me a signal.

rallynavvie 05-04-2011 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shane6374 (Post 2096725)

This, except I'm looking at the shadow of the tower on my side of the apartments and not getting a signal because it won't work through walls (or direct line of sight, apparently). However the GF uses it while I'm driving because you get perfect reception on the highways :rolleyes:

TexasAggie97 05-04-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rallynavvie (Post 2096913)
This, except I'm looking at the shadow of the tower on my side of the apartments and not getting a signal because it won't work through walls (or direct line of sight, apparently). However the GF uses it while I'm driving because you get perfect reception on the highways :rolleyes:

My 4G kept cutting out while driving on I-10 in Houston. I thought one had to be at a fixed position (or within the range of a single tower) to use 4G.

How does 4G work anyway???

balagyi 05-04-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shane6374 (Post 2096725)

how do 4G towers look like?

gTen 05-04-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by balagyi (Post 2097126)
how do 4G towers look like?

Don't bother you won't find one..

http://www.ibit.co.za/wimax/wimax%20antenna.jpg

aka they are 100x smaller then a 3g tower :/

rallynavvie 05-04-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2097134)
aka they are 100x smaller then a 3g tower :/

Clear, who Sprint uses for their 4G service here, mounts them on the same towers as the rest of the carriers. Or at least that's what their tech said when I tried getting one of the 4G pucks from Sprint before I got the Epic. When I couldn't get any 4G signal in my apartment I tried returning the thing to Sprint but they sent a tech out to test signal strength and that's when he pointed out where the nearest node was and explained that I wouldn't get signal through the wall.

WorldWide 05-04-2011 03:44 PM

I live and work next to 4G towers, I couldn't ask for a better signal. I don't use it much though because I'm always in range of WiFi.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

gTen 05-04-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rallynavvie (Post 2097153)
Clear, who Sprint uses for their 4G service here, mounts them on the same towers as the rest of the carriers. Or at least that's what their tech said when I tried getting one of the 4G pucks from Sprint before I got the Epic. When I couldn't get any 4G signal in my apartment I tried returning the thing to Sprint but they sent a tech out to test signal strength and that's when he pointed out where the nearest node was and explained that I wouldn't get signal through the wall.

Yes they do..as its most efficientbut was pointing out that a 4g tower is a lot smaller then a 3g one..so while a 4g tower can be mounted on top of a 3g one does not necessarily mean there are no standalone towers..

Ironically sprint actually put on their website an indicator showing if your in an area where 4g will go through walls or not..I live in a 4g area and had 4g in my old house.after I moved even though Im in a 4g area..I'm now in one of the small pocket holes without 4g...FML :(