PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Sprint Epic 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   Epic 4G Wiki - All Most Common Questions and Answers + Tips + Guides + 1-Click Root (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=133550)

mykie 10-12-2010 05:29 PM

Re: Epic 4G Wiki - All Most Common Questions and Answers + Tips + Guides + 1-Click Ro

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaun0207 (Post 1959410)
Quick question: Got my wife an Epic 4G and it will charge via the computer but it wont mount and load her SD card for mass storage mode even though she has enabled it on the phone. Any ideas?

Is it a Mac? Try enabling Debug mode.

Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging

sp4rtan5 10-19-2010 12:46 PM

Re: Epic 4G Wiki - All Most Common Questions and Answers + Tips + Guides

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlaDarla (Post 1942572)
Stickied :)

Carla Darla, what happened to your last avetar pic? I miss it. "Ee waz naissss" (borat). I am willing to go on hunger strike if anyone else goes with me to convince you to put it back. ;-)

rglover1168 10-26-2010 04:36 PM

Re: Epic 4G Wiki - All Most Common Questions and Answers + Tips + Guides + 1-Click Ro

I'm coming from TP2 where I flashed all day everyday but No matter what I try I cannot flash a custom rom on this epic. I'm finally running Di08 and I got there from dg17 using odin3epic and a stock Di08 rom. I'm rooted with one.click.root .exploitv2.3.0 and everytime I try to boot in to clockworkmod recovery I get
--Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
verifiying update package...

E:signature verification failed Installation aborted. Any suggestions would be appreciated I apologize if this is posted somewhere but I couldn't find it. I wish there was a way to flash a custom rom with odin because it's pretty simple for me to flash stock it would make since that I could flash a custom rom .tar but hey what do I know. Any help would be appreciated.

gTen 10-26-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rglover1168 (Post 1981818)
I'm coming from TP2 where I flashed all day everyday but No matter what I try I cannot flash a custom rom on this epic. I'm finally running Di08 and I got there from dg17 using odin3epic and a stock Di08 rom. I'm rooted with one.click.root .exploitv2.3.0 and everytime I try to boot in to clockworkmod recovery I get
--Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
verifiying update package...

E:signature verification failed Installation aborted. Any suggestions would be appreciated I apologize if this is posted somewhere but I couldn't find it. I wish there was a way to flash a custom rom with odin because it's pretty simple for me to flash stock it would make since that I could flash a custom rom .tar but hey what do I know. Any help would be appreciated.

.tar are for flashing with ODIN..not clockworkmod....if your flashing a zip and get the error then your booting into stock recovery and not clockworkmod recovery..if you have clockworkmod installed you reset the phone and hold vol down + camera + power while its booting.

rglover1168 10-27-2010 12:58 AM

That's exactly what I did and I see this on the screen
Android system recovery <2e>

Samsung Recovery Utils
- for BML -

reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition__________________________________

# MANUAL MODE #
At which point I can reboot system fine however I cannot apply sdcard: update.zip

I can wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition
I am now getting a little different error message though.

E:failed to verify whole -file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

Trying to flash baked snack I basically loaded it onto the sd card and renamed it update.zip and changed the old update.zip to update.zin
I read somewhere else about using different kernels but I'm still on stock kernel not sure if that makes a difference. There is just not one definitive guide on the epic from start to finish step by step. Everyone is assuming you know some previous step. I need an epic flashing tutorial for dummies.

gTen 10-27-2010 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rglover1168 (Post 1982163)
That's exactly what I did and I see this on the screen
Android system recovery <2e>

Samsung Recovery Utils
- for BML -

reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition__________________________________

# MANUAL MODE #
At which point I can reboot system fine however I cannot apply sdcard: update.zip

I can wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition
I am now getting a little different error message though.

E:failed to verify whole -file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

Trying to flash baked snack I basically loaded it onto the sd card and renamed it update.zip and changed the old update.zip to update.zin
I read somewhere else about using different kernels but I'm still on stock kernel not sure if that makes a difference. There is just not one definitive guide on the epic from start to finish step by step. Everyone is assuming you know some previous step. I need an epic flashing tutorial for dummies.

By the looks of it your booting into stock recovery and not clockworkmod recovery..just to confirm.did you install clockworkmod recovery on your phone?

As for a tutorial..I'll see what I can do once I have the time.

rglover1168 10-27-2010 09:30 AM

I actually downloaded Rom manager from the the market then paid $4.99 for the premium v2.5.0.4 license thinking that would help make it easier but it didn't. After opening the program on my phone I selected Flash clockworkmod recovery then selected Samsung Epic and it says successfully downloaded ClockworkMod recovery. However If I select Reboot into recovery I get the above results or install from sd card same thing.

gTen 10-27-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rglover1168 (Post 1982282)
I actually downloaded Rom manager from the the market then paid $4.99 for the premium v2.5.0.4 license thinking that would help make it easier but it didn't. After opening the program on my phone I selected Flash clockworkmod recovery then selected Samsung Epic and it says successfully downloaded ClockworkMod recovery. However If I select Reboot into recovery I get the above results or install from sd card same thing.

You won't be able to install clockworkmod from rom manager unless you have a custom kernel that supports that. On stock kernel you gotta install it via the oen click method.

Lastly, it won't boot you to clockwork recovery by default..you still gotta hold own vol down + camera + power during the boot.

rglover1168 10-27-2010 01:44 PM

I'm running around in circles all over the place because there is no one place with all the info for a complete android noob. I was excited to find the wiki but it would appear I'm a little slow to understand. I've googled & googled and the outcome is I've been to sdx and xda and smartphonejunkie and android forums and here is where I usually get my best answers, still holding out hope. I followed the instructions on sdx forum on how to install clockworkmod which was done by downloading sdk and redbend_ua with recovery kernel and from what I could tell successfully flashed clockworkmod from there I installed from market as a suggestion in a post on xda. So I've been gathering bits and pieces of info from different sites because there is no one place for a noob to get all the info on how to flash a custom rom from start to finish with an epic. Take this for example:
Here are the instructions for bakedSnack:
Things you need:
clockwork recovery (googl'd that it lead me to this post, so I did that).
a full wipe of data (figured that out)
Instructions:
boot into clockwork (thought I found help here nope same trend of not enough info)
wipe data/cache/dalvik (figured I was wiping everything goes back to factory but I don't even see "cache/dalvik" in the options)
flash the .zip (I wish I knew how to get past this point)
reboot
your done
Sure could use that tutorial or maybe just an update by someone to the wiki

gTen 10-27-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rglover1168 (Post 1982466)
I'm running around in circles all over the place because there is no one place with all the info for a complete android noob. I was excited to find the wiki but it would appear I'm a little slow to understand. I've googled & googled and the outcome is I've been to sdx and xda and smartphonejunkie and android forums and here is where I usually get my best answers, still holding out hope. I followed the instructions on sdx forum on how to install clockworkmod which was done by downloading sdk and redbend_ua with recovery kernel and from what I could tell successfully flashed clockworkmod from there I installed from market as a suggestion in a post on xda. So I've been gathering bits and pieces of info from different sites because there is no one place for a noob to get all the info on how to flash a custom rom from start to finish with an epic. Take this for example:
Here are the instructions for bakedSnack:
Things you need:
clockwork recovery (googl'd that it lead me to this post, so I did that).
a full wipe of data (figured that out)
Instructions:
boot into clockwork (thought I found help here nope same trend of not enough info)
wipe data/cache/dalvik (figured I was wiping everything goes back to factory but I don't even see "cache/dalvik" in the options)
flash the .zip (I wish I knew how to get past this point)
reboot
your done
Sure could use that tutorial or maybe just an update by someone to the wiki

One step at a time..first before flashing anything you need to install clockworkmod on your phone..follow the instructions here:

http://wiki.ppcgeeks.com/index.php?t...g#ClockworkMod

if runtryfirst.bat fails use runtrylast.bat

once its installed, turn off the phone, wait 30 sec then turn it on by holding vol down + camera + power and hold it till it boots into recovery.