PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Sprint Epic 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   Official Samsung Battery Performance Talk (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132689)

revaaron 09-09-2010 02:02 PM

Re: Official Samsung Battery Performance Talk

If I want to get 14hrs out of this phone, I have to turn it off all day.
If I got 49hrs out of it, I would make my review
"bonerific"
and that would say it all.

mi7chy 09-09-2010 07:51 PM

Update: At 1d 19h 33m since last connected with medium phone, 3G browsing, GPS and maps usage and now down to 30%.

cocochannel 09-09-2010 11:12 PM

Re: Epic Battery Life!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by valdor21 (Post 1933546)
I've been playing around with my epic the last few days.. and i've noticed the battery last for a very long time.. i come from having a evo, tp2, and a tp and i'm extremely impressed with my Epic's battery life

for example today i left my 4g, wifi, bluetooth, and gps enabled for about 14 hours heavy to mild usage throughout the day.. and my phone never died.. matter a fact eventually after talking on the phone for about 2 hours it beeped saying my battery was about to die and i talked for another 40minutes before i hung up the call and charged my phone

but on the negative side it literally takes hours for my battery to charge to full

i'm curious about everyone elses battery life experiences so far i'm extremely impressed

I'm soooo jealous. My battery is TERRIBLE!
And btw we need Epic forum, not just Galaxy S

cocochannel 09-09-2010 11:27 PM

Re: My thoughts on the battery life..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phen0m (Post 1939393)
Firstly, I think the Epic is suffering similar issues as the EVO did initially, where the radios aren't tweaked well enough, and are actually running alongside one another.
At times on my phone, Ive gotten the 3G icon and 4G icon's running concurrently, this seems to absolutely destroy our phones..even in sleep or standby mode.

I spent yesterday breaking down the phone, playing with different settings and what not..

This is my usage from lastnight, till this morn:

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8...0909084441.png http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/1...0909082604.png http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6...0909083853.png

As of 11am, Im just down to 66% Battery..

Imo, its the background sync(accounts/sync), combined with the terrible 4G and 3G radio's, that are killing our batteries.
Ive disabled 4G, enabled 3G with SwitchPro widget, and disabled the background tasks.. and I get a 1% drain over 2 hours off the charger.. I haven't charged it yet, but i would surmise the charge rate would improve as well.. as its no longer fighting to swim upstream.

This isnt a solution of any sort.. just an observation.

where did you get that clock and weather widget?

EDIT: "Beautiful Widgets" app if anyone wonders

madoc 09-10-2010 12:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
15+ hours. Had about 15-20% left when I took this screenshot.

ATK
SetCPU (set to conservative per dev instructions)
screen turned way down
BT, Wifi, and GPS were all on all day
4G off all day

Made no changes to sync schedules for Gmail/News/weather.

Had to do some tweak work to get this much life, but am happy enough with this type of performance. Kinda sucks to work so hard to get battery life that should come out of the box. Was getting 6-8 hours before.

Johnny.Bravo 09-10-2010 06:39 AM

After letting the battery drain all the way to zero and letting the phone turn itself off, my battery life has gotten a lot better.

I use the auto-brightness feature, turn off Bluetooth and GPS unless I need them, I don't live in a 4G are so that's not an issue, and I leave the Wi-Fi on all day and I am getting about 15 hours a day out of my Epic.

One thing to consider...earlier this year there was a pretty lively discussion about battery life in the TP2 section and someone brought up a very good point that I think is worth repeating. We want more and more in our phones and still expect them to run for 2 days on a 1500mA battery. At some point something's gotta give. We need to be realistic and understand that there is only so much power in that little battery, and we expect these smartphones to perform like a laptop computer. Sure the community is going to figure out how to adjust a bunch of stuff and put out custom ROMS to improve battery life, but in the end we need to stop whining about how bad battery life is on these superphones.

You can't drive a Ferrari and expect it to get the same gas mileage as a Honda Civic.

madoc 09-10-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksfoster (Post 1940348)
...Sure the community is going to figure out how to adjust a bunch of stuff and put out custom ROMS to improve battery life, but in the end we need to stop whining about how bad battery life is on these superphones.

You can't drive a Ferrari and expect it to get the same gas mileage as a Honda Civic.

I hear ya, simply disagree on this though. When a device is also a phone, it needs to last longer than 8 hours per charge. Period. Regardless of its functionality. Functionality that drastically reduces the longevity (lower than 8-10 hours) needs to be redesigned to "fit" onto a phone. This is laziness on the part of Sprint. The fact that the community is able to remedy some of these issues demonstrates it.

I don't think we want to get Civic mileage out of a ferrari, we just want the ferrari to make it to the next gas station. Yes, yes - you can plan your route that has gas stations every 8 miles (a'la multiple spare batteries, hunting for plugs and charging at every possible moment) but that is a supremely unfair expectation IMO. I've been on several stressful hunts for open outlets crappy airports to charge my phone - not fun.

Providers need to focus on the big picture, not simply bloating the spec sheets. It IS possible to have both good function and battery life.

I really applaud Sprint for the hardware of the EVO and the EPIC - I'd just like more software effort from them. Great battery life would be a hell of a marketing tool given this widespread issue.

Jago 09-10-2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

....You can't drive a Ferrari and expect it to get the same gas mileage as a Honda Civic.

Agreed....but on Top Gear they got better gas mileage from a BMW M3 than they did with the Toyota Prius! lol

I have been able to get about 12 hours out of my battery, but I am glad that I purchased the spare battery and charger from Sprint, I have had many days where I used up both batteries in a 15 hour time frame. But I love love this phone so much!

Wunder 09-11-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

... We need to be realistic and understand that there is only so much power in that little battery, and we expect these smartphones to perform like a laptop computer.....

And just to add to that, my Laptop gets a MAXIMUM of 5 hours on the battery...

revaaron 09-12-2010 06:46 PM

epic battery life thought

So I get super inconsistant battery performance. One day, I get it to run until midnight. Other days, I have to plug it in at noon cause it is at 20%. I pull it off the charger between 7 and 8am. I started looking at the app called battery graph. I see that at whatever time I pulled it off the chargr, it dropped to under 70% in 10 minutes. I think it's not charging or stops charging when the "full battery" thing comes up.