PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Sprint Epic 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   Official Samsung Battery Performance Talk (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132689)

KaliS 10-06-2010 06:16 AM

Re: Official Samsung Battery Performance Talk

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireballmonkey (Post 1965206)
  1. Installed Juice Defender - the free version, and left it with all its default settings.
  2. Installed Advanced Task Killer, and set it to auto-kill ("safe" setting) every time the screen turns off. I made sure to add Juice Defender and a few other apps to the ignore list.
  3. Installed Startup Cleaner Pro. Set it to prevent the following system apps from starting (I'm guessing this made the most difference):
    • Amazon MP3
    • DRM Protected Content Storage
    • DRMContentLauncher
    • Media Hub
    • All the Sprint apps
    • Voicemail (I use Google Voice, so I don't need it)
  4. Did the airplane mode toggle (I don't know that this really did anything though).
  5. While I'm at home, I leave WiFi on all the time.

ok so im trying to do the same thing you did but have some questions about which things to stop in startup. did you "sprint updater", "system updater", "WiMAX_RC", "My Uploads", and "SNS" as well? If not, do these cause any issues if they are prevented? also, is the "Media Hub" the same as "Media Storage", because i see nothing that says media hub specifically?

Johnny.Bravo 10-06-2010 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havox22 (Post 1967051)
lucky u...my battery is getting batter after the update...i use to have to put it on the charger around 5 now i can go the whole day without needing to charge it..i hope the next update improves the battery also

I agree...the update has helped my battery life too. Before the update I would plug in my phone before going to bed and it would be around 10%. Now its around 30%-40% after 15 or 16 hours. Its definitely improved.

darren.wlsn1 10-06-2010 06:48 AM

good read on task killers, mines gone.

Android Task Killers are Dead

KaliS 10-06-2010 01:55 PM

ok, im just not seeing how you all are getting these "epic" battery life times???? i removed my phone from the charger, fully charged at about 8:20am this morning. it's about 1:50pm here and quick batter shows that i have 32% battery life left. what gives?

are you all counting the battery performance while using airplane mode during the day? that would be the only what i could see it working as i remember my tp2 getting great battery life in that mode, but i got no calls, text or email during that time either.

gTen 10-06-2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaliS (Post 1967378)
ok, im just not seeing how you all are getting these "epic" battery life times???? i removed my phone from the charger, fully charged at about 8:20am this morning. it's about 1:50pm here and quick batter shows that i have 32% battery life left. what gives?

are you all counting the battery performance while using airplane mode during the day? that would be the only what i could see it working as i remember my tp2 getting great battery life in that mode, but i got no calls, text or email during that time either.

Have you done any battery tweaks for your phone yet? and are you on DI18?

KaliS 10-06-2010 03:46 PM

i got an OTA update notification 3x since i got my epic. the first was the night i bought it, but i couldn't do the update as the battery needed more juice. 2x, it started but then said i didnt need updating. 3x, started and after a bit said there was an error (maybe bcuz i was on wifi, i dont know)...but after a few hours i checked and it says DI18. so i would say yes, but that is iffy to me.

i'm not sure what you mean exactly by battery tweaks. i have installed juice defender/ultimate juice and used recommended settings. have let batter drain at least 2, maybe 3x now. just started using start-up cleaner very early this morning. was using the free ATK, but stopped the auto-kill after doing some research.

i also use quick battery/quick settings to help monitor. brightness down to about 16%. no haptic, no vibration on select or notify.

muyoso 10-06-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaliS (Post 1967378)

There are SOOO many variables, that its impossible to compare. Is your brightness set for high, low, auto? Do you have Power savings mode on? Do you have Haptic feedback enabled, keyboard clicks? Do you have facebook checking for updates every 2 mins. Do you use wifi when you can? Then we can get into differences in usage among everyone. Are you taking bunch of calls, texting or browsing the web? Listening to music?

CozBoogie 10-07-2010 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 1967075)
good read on task killers, mines gone.

Android Task Killers are Dead

Agreed...that was an interesting read. Based on that, and on the fact that I think ATK was draining my battery more, I went ahead and uninstalled ATK.

I also agree that with this new update comes an increase in battery life/performance.

Now if I can only stop messing with my Epic long enough to really tell how the battery is doing I'd be very happy.

late,
Coz

KaliS 10-07-2010 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muyoso (Post 1967561)
Is your brightness set for high, low, auto?

its set to low, i have a toggle to brighten if i want, but normally set to low (16%)

Quote:

Do you have Power savings mode on?
i do have the set mode on.

Quote:

Do you have Haptic feedback enabled, keyboard clicks?
disabled for both.

Quote:

Do you have facebook checking for updates every 2 mins.
i checked it after reading your comment and it was set to every 15 mins, lol. i've now changed it 12 hours.

Quote:

Do you use wifi when you can?
used when im home after work. during work hours there is no need really as im in the field or office with no wifi

Quote:

Are you taking bunch of calls, texting or browsing the web?
calls no, text yes, browsing minimal to moderate.

Quote:

Listening to music?
i do from time to time...but not too often

darren.wlsn1 10-08-2010 09:49 AM

may wanna follow this thread guys, its on my phone now but need a day to test it.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=793205