PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Smartphone News (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   What if Google bought HTC? Could Kill WinMo 7 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=107693)

TRUELIGHT 01-23-2010 03:50 PM

What if Google bought HTC? Could Kill WinMo 7

How Google Can Kill Windows Mobile 7
mushipkw | January 21st, 2010 | News

Now here is the scary thought, what if Google bought HTC. For Microsoft this would be horrendous, I know I wouldn’t even consider a Windows Phone without HTC making such great devices. Google could cripple Windows Mobile relatively easily by buying HTC and in doing so give themselves a prime way to design and manufacture their own phones, tablets and netbooks; all of which they believe are the way forward in computing.

http://ow.ly/ZJem

Spiderman313 01-23-2010 03:58 PM

Re: What if Google bought HTC? Could Kill WinMo 7

That would hurt.

correct 01-23-2010 04:57 PM

what if a "if" was a spliff, and a 5th?.... i'd probably be drunk, and high....

Mr.KLeen 01-23-2010 05:06 PM

i dont think that will happen. lots of companies making devices for wm7, i cant see microsoft and htc doing that, they are great at what they do

Malatesta 01-23-2010 07:09 PM

Poorly written and researched article.
  • HTC just announced that they were developing an Android tablet but have suspended any further development. So that angle is out. If you missed that story, you shouldn't be writing articles on HTC and Google.
  • WM7's future hardly depends on HTC. LG, Samsung, Asus, Acer and eventually Motorola will all be on board. WM6.5 has 15 OEMs.
  • LG is the one to really watch: they have the money, research, experience and depth of market to really challenge HTC in the WinMo market
  • Google does not do nor want to be in the hardware business, which is vastly different than software. They have no experience with it either. Furthermore, doing so would tick off all their OEMs who would drop Android in a heartbeat on such a decision, thereby killing all momentum. OEMs are already (privately) ticked off about the Nexus One
  • Moto's DROID is the best selling Android phone, not the Nexus One. So it's nothing to bet the farm on.
  • HTC is not for sale and a hostile takeover does not seem likely. Being a publicly traded company, Google couldn't just buy them. Google usually buys privately held startups and they like to keep it quiet.
There's just no basis for anything in this article.

breakmyfootoff 01-23-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malatesta (Post 1511755)
  • HTC just announced that they were developing an Android tablet but have suspended any further development. So that angle is out. If you missed that story, you shouldn't be writing articles on HTC and Google.
  • WM7's future hardly depends on HTC. LG, Samsung, Asus, Acer and eventually Motorola will all be on board. WM6.5 has 15 OEMs.
  • LG is the one to really watch: they have the money, research, experience and depth of market to really challenge HTC in the WinMo market
  • Google does not do nor want to be in the hardware business, which is vastly different than software. They have no experience with it either. Furthermore, doing so would tick off all their OEMs who would drop Android in a heartbeat on such a decision, thereby killing all momentum. OEMs are already (privately) ticked off about the Nexus One
  • Moto's DROID is the best selling Android phone, not the Nexus One. So it's nothing to bet the farm on.
  • HTC is not for sale and a hostile takeover does not seem likely. Being a publicly traded company, Google couldn't just buy them. Google usually buys privately held startups and they like to keep it quiet.

Yes, this :D

elephant007 01-23-2010 08:34 PM

I'll sum it up
Business do what's best for them to make more money, doesn't matter to them if they piss people off, customers or other manufactures etc...
I'll also say this, I now have an Android device and like it much better than WinMo. In fact, I've given my HTC Touch Pro 2 to my girlfriend and am now using the Samsung Moment. I didn't pick the HTC Hero because it doesn't have a slide out keyboard... once you go slide out qwerty keyboard you'll never go back!

Carla 01-23-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malatesta (Post 1511755)

Awesome!! Nothing else needed lol.

amd4me 01-23-2010 10:38 PM

That would be AWESOME WinMo is a POS that happens to be on a lot of awesome devices. Android is killing Microsoft and starting to eat away at apples pie.

Technoob 01-23-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amd4me (Post 1512094)
That would be AWESOME WinMo is a POS that happens to be on a lot of awesome devices. Android is killing Microsoft and starting to eat away at apples pie.

this is true!
WM is killing HTC!
Does microsoft even earns a profit on WM!